Benchcrafted Split Top Roubo Bench Makers Package

Review by jasondain posted 12-25-2012 11:41 PM 8163 views 2 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Benchcrafted Split Top Roubo Bench Makers Package Benchcrafted Split Top Roubo Bench Makers Package Benchcrafted Split Top Roubo Bench Makers Package Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been working on a bench made from Fine Woodworking’s website for a couple of years now (link) and it has served me well. I wasn’t really planning on building a workbench but when I saw the Benchcrafted stuff I immediately knew I wanted to build one of these and have it forever to work on and pass on to the next generation.

The timing didn’t work out for the guild build on the Wood Whisperer site but I ended up ordering one over the summer, about mid-july. It just so happened it was right around the time of the switchover to the new handwheels so the lead time was a bit long but I knew that when I placed my order. This was to be my big winter project so I didn’t really intend to work on it until after the summer. The ordering process was straightforward especially for an international order. The package arrived and I had to pay duty to complete the process. Upon inspection, the box was torn open and had some postal tape on it and a damaged en route sticker on it. I took the package home to inspect it not wanting to refuse the parcel as I didnt know if anything was missing. I figured I’d rather take my chances with Benchcrafted directly than work through the post office process. I determined that I was missing a few barrel nuts and let them know. Within a few days the missing parts were delivered free of charge so that was very well taken care of in my opinion.

Upon further inspection, all the parts were very well made and of the highest quality. I printed out the instructions for each of the vise and the construction notes to go with the scaled drawings. The plans were very clear and well thought out. I followed them pretty close and consulted a few videos on the Benchcrafted site around the dog hole routing and “condor” tail construction. Jameel was available via email and I used it a few times to ask questions and his responses were prompt and very helpful.

Overall, I was very impressed with Benchcrafted’s products and services and will be adding a Moxon vise and potentially a criss-cross to my arsenal as budget permits this year.

View jasondain's profile

View AKWoody's profile

#1 posted 12-26-2012 05:19 AM

Congrats on finishing your bench. I just finished milling both slabs and cannot wait to keep moving on mine. I have five days of vacation with my wife and daughter out of town, hoping to get it done while they are gone.

Did you run in to any unexpected challenges?

View RandyMorter's profile

#2 posted 01-04-2013 02:55 AM

Very nice!

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

View lysdexic's profile

#3 posted 01-04-2013 04:44 AM

I ordered the bench makers package a few months prior to you and finished my bench this fall. I have the old wheels and built my bench step by step through the guild build. My blog has 26 entries documenting the build and just started a blog on the Moxon vise.

I concur with your conclusions about the quality of the hardware. Love it.

-- I love Jeeps

View eddisongray's profile

#4 posted 11-06-2015 01:46 PM

Benches are best for outdoor furniture, they are good facility near enormous garden view. though many of benches styles are available, I still love this for outdoor use.

-- -- check out our products @