To expensive and kind of gimmicky

Review by Chris Wright posted 12-24-2012 04:56 AM 3127 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
To expensive and kind of gimmicky No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got a chance to see the Easy Wood Tools new Easy Chuck. I was pretty excited because I wanted to see how it worked and after looking at it I have to say I’m pretty disappointed. The first thing I noticed is that it is direct threaded. This I think is a bad idea. If you start turning with a midi lathe with a 1” x 8 tpi spindle and move up to one with 1 1/4” x 8 tpi spindle you’d have to buy a new chuck. There is no way to use a wrench to remove the body from the spindle because the back of the body extends to far back. And finally there’s the price. $500 for a body with one set of jaws. A OneWay doesn’t even cost that much. There are Nova package deals where you can get a G3 or a SuperNova with 4 sets of jaws for $300 and they go on sale for $200, so I can’t think of why I’d pay twice as much for a chuck with one set of jaws. The Zoom Ring is cool, as is the quick change for the jaws, but I don’t see that offsetting the price or the design flaws. I have a feeling that the next model of this chuck will have addressed the design problems I mention.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

View hunter71's profile

hunter71

2008 posts in 1840 days

#1 posted 12-24-2012 11:20 AM

I think a few more modifications need to happen before I spend. Spend 1/2 the cost too.

-- A childs smile is payment enough.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#2 posted 12-24-2012 02:46 PM

My two Talon chucks ran me little more than $500. Purchased several years apart 1st one did not pay extra for threaded insert, but bought new insert when upgraded my lathe. 2nd one cost more than 1st chuck bought a chuck body, set of spigot jaws, and threaded insert. I am a light weight with only two chucks, there turners that own more.

Like the innovation and American made. No, will not be running out and buying an Easy Chuck. Still wish Craig success with his new chuck. People that have seen it operate at shows like this new chuck. Only heard of few people willing to buy one.

American vice China designed and made we comparing apples & oranges!

-- Bill

#3 posted 12-24-2012 03:32 PM

”The first thing I noticed is that it is direct threaded.blah, blah, blah”
No need to buy a new chuck if the threads don’t match…they sell adapters.

” There is no way to use a wrench to remove the body from the spindle because the back of the body extends to far back. ”

The body of the chuck is secured to the spindle with two set screws after threading it onto the spindle , which are easily tightened and loosened with the supplied Allen wrench.(Plenty of room to access the set screws)

The only part of your “review” that you got right was the price.
Perhaps if you had actually used the chuck instead of just looking at it as a bystander , your review would have some actual facts to it.
Sadly , now that you’ve rated it at only 2 stars , it will take a lot of 5 star reviews to overcome your foolishness.
Maybe next time you review something , you should start out with something simple , like a screwdriver…Flat blade , not Phillips !

View mikema's profile

mikema

#4 posted 12-24-2012 05:18 PM

I saw this chuck at WIA, as was very impressed by it. My initial thoughts were that it could be revolutionary with the quick jaw change. When Craig was talking about it he was really pushing the benefit of not having to own multiple chucks just for different jaw sizes.

Then I found out it was $500. I could by 3 more G3s for that much. Unfortunately, I think the price does negate the possibility of 4 or 5 stars for this product.

-- Mike ---- Visit my woodworking blog: http://sawdustnewbie.com

View Mip's profile

Mip

#5 posted 12-25-2012 02:52 AM

When I went to the website to learn more about this chuck, I learned about the price, too. I thought that was to high, but then after looking it over, what you are paying for is the ease and speed of tightening and loosening the chuck and also changing out the jaws themselves. All that research and development going into this tool. I think he is targeting the production turners who are more willing to pay the price to save some time turning bowls. Who knows, maybe he will figure out a way of producing these at a cheaper price one day. I think the chuck is a well thought out tool, just a little pricey for me.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#6 posted 12-25-2012 12:47 PM

There is 1 ¼” spindle adapter available for this chuck! Think Woodcraft has price for it and extra jaws listed.

Rather wait for buyer opinions after they had a chance to use and abuse this chuck.

Think if enough turners buy a chuck and it receives even moderate reviews other manufacturers might be interested in a licensing deal with Craig. Craig might move his manufacturing off shore to bring price down. Then again some unsavory manufacturers may start making & selling knock offs too.

-- Bill

112083 posts in 2230 days

#7 posted 12-25-2012 06:03 PM

thanks for the review.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#8 posted 12-26-2012 11:48 AM

thanks for your thoughts…( a review would take using it for a while) I’m with most folks, the price is a real set back for this new product. A few people with $$$ will buy, but most of us will have to wait and see if the concept flies.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View lblack2x4's profile

lblack2x4

#9 posted 03-11-2013 01:38 AM

i saw this chuck before it was debut when the owner of easywood was in our local wood craft i thought it was cool but not worth the cash even if it was the same as a oneway because there is less adjustable and it looked flimsy this may have just been the test model he had but it did not seem well made. i want there to be more jaws and more options for thread size. i also don’t like the jaws being cast not turned i think it will be less true. now mind you i have not seen nor tried the chuck but these are my opinions so far.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#10 posted 03-26-2013 07:49 PM

I have seen an adapter to change your 1 1/4’’ thread on the bigger lathes to the 1’’ x 8 at Penn State industries online. Was thinking about the same thing when I upgrade to a bigger lathe. This should solve the problem and save a lot of money. The reviews seem good also. My self I have 4 chucks, 3 of which are the 1’’ x 8

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams