It's okay

Review by harvey4804 posted 12-23-2012 07:34 PM 2619 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It's okay No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After writing a review for my table saw I figured I’d write a review for it’s mobile base, a Shop Fox D2057A. Everything went together fairly easily. The tedious part was installing the hardware for the casters but even that wasn’t too difficult. After having it support my table saw for over a year now, it still works as advertised.

BUT… the fit and finish wasn’t too pleasing. as you can see in the pictures the corner support that holds up the tool had a good dent in it (I’ll get back to that). There was streaks or long drips of black paint that I have no idea where they came form. I’m guessing there are plastic washers of some sort that are next to the wheels, because when I picked up a wheel I noticed black plastic falling out from it however it hasn’t affected operation. There was some welding goobers that weren’t scraped off and one of which was on a caster mount hole which caused me to bull out my drill and clean it out (see pic).

Now back to the bent corner support. I’m not sure if this is the issue because the dent isn’t that major however the front to back level on my TS is probably 1/4” lower in the back than in the front. Yes, even with the front feet screwed all of the way up it’s still 1/4” lower than the front. This isn’t that big of a deal if you’re not using an outfeed table but I am and now I gotta figure out how to bring it to level without having to spend too much time or re-engineering it my standards which would be over kill to the 10th degree.

Pix:

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

#1 posted 12-23-2012 07:35 PM

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

#2 posted 12-23-2012 07:37 PM

here’s level on my TS (left side is the back side).

and on my outfeed.

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#3 posted 12-23-2012 11:41 PM

Thanks for posting. I’d be a little concerned about the plastic shavings. A caster probably going south. Is it getting harder to move around?

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View emart's profile

emart

#4 posted 12-24-2012 10:12 PM

maybe you can shim up the back side with washers or autobody shims. this is why i prefer to build my own mobile bases. i usually leave some wiggle room to get them level

-- tools are only as good as the hands that hold them https://www.custommade.com/by/emeraldcrafts/

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

#5 posted 07-20-2013 12:02 AM

I have this supposedly mobile base and as soon as I get the help my band saw is going back on the floor. The design is terrible, it’s easier to drag a machine across the floor than roll it on this base. Having two fixed and two swivel wheels renders it useless especially since the swivel wheels don’t clear the frame the machine sits in. I have a 20” planer with a built in mobile base and it’s an absolute pleasure to move the 800 lb behemoth compared to my little band saw on this shop fox base. The planer has two fixed and one swivel wheel which makes it a breeze to use, a far superior design.