G1023RLW after a year and a few projects...

Review by harvey4804 posted 583 days ago 3688 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G1023RLW after a year and a few projects... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this G1023RLW back in October 2010. After a few back-orders I finally received the saw December 2010. Now, I purchased this saw because I was in the process of purchasing a house and we were only weeks away from closing and I figured that by the time the saw ships, I’d be moved in… WELLLL, long story short and nearly a year later and almost 10 offers on 10 other homes later we ended up closing August 2011 on the ONLY “traditional sale” in my area. Since then, I have completed several projects and I have gotten to know the Grizzly 1023RLW fairly well. I took some pictures as I was unboxing it and the final assembly.

Overall, I don’t have too much negative to say about the Grizzly. It is a budget priced machine that performs its job. It was packaged very well and it didn’t have any shipping accidents. All of the parts were there with nothing missing. After a can of WD40 to remove the preservative it went together with out a hitch. The Fence which was shipped separately and was fine although the by the time I got the box it looked like it had fallen off the truck a few times and dragged behind the boat from Taiwan. But again, the fence was not damaged in any way (I don’t know how).

The only flaws that I can point out:
- The extension wings. I can line up the front and back of the wings with the top perfectly however, the middle of each wing sits proud of the cabinet top. Not very much, maybe .005-.007” However, its enough to annoy me.
- The miter gauge is a complete joke. As you will see in the picture it was damaged, not to the point where it wasn’t useable but regardless, the adjustment and pure lack of accuracy is something I would expect to find on a cheap Taiwan made impor…...... Oh wait, nevermind.

Now for nit picky stuff:
-The included “wrenches” for the arbor bolt are stamped mild steel with a galvanized finish… its pure crap. The second time I used it the fork like wrench bent like it was a wet noodle. Ok maybe not bad but still… they could have at least included a halfway reliable Chinese wrench for and extra buck.
-The fit and finish is okay. You get what you pay for. The miter slots have what looks to be paint in them which is slowly chipping away but hasn’t really affected anything. It would be nice if the top had a 2B finish but that’s impossible for cast iron.
- The table plate that’s screwed just behind the insert, it has a hair-line crack across one of the screws.
- The dust collection could be better. I just opened the motor cover just to peek inside and there was about a gallon size jug worth of sawdust hangin out in the bottom. I noticed that formed a “natural slope” for the newer sawdust to be channeled to the dust port. If the engineers would have incorporated a steeper slope to the base there probably would have been less sawdust that collects at the bottom.

Here’s some pictures: ...Enjoy

DSCN2606_zps2ab285ea

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

It looks like the pictures were chopped. Oh well, you get the point.

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

View jap's profile

jap

thanks

-- Joel

View doordude's profile

doordude

great review and update. the defects are minor, but when added up it’s alot. weather it’s 1300.00 or 4000.00; we pay for saws that would last our life times;seemingly; it just shouldn’t be. but it’s always a fight, and how much do you just let go?
by the way, hows the new house and shop set up going?

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

You did good, but I’d be asking grizzly for: new miter gauge, new router plate, new wings, new wrenches.
You paid for a new saw, don’t settle for less.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

Mine is sitting at the terminal in Houston waiting to be delivered Wednesday. Hope it is OK.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

enjoy the new saw

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

View tme4tls's profile

tme4tls

I have the same saw which is dedicated to ripping only. I use a Grizzly 690 for cross cutting.

Dust collection is a hassle and the blade enclosure can clog easily if any somewhat larger pieces for trapped in the exit hole or hose. I removed both and opened up the hole in the back of the cabinet for better suction. It did help a lot. I dumped the wrenches and went to Sears and got some real wrenches for blade changing. Call Grizzly and they will replace any of the parts that were damaged when you got the saw. They usually offer little to no resistance when it comes to damages or defects. The Tawianese quality of better than the Chinese quality so you are ahead of the game there. The black plate is where the anti-kick back pawls ride and is going to get scratched up very soon so a little crack shouldn’t be a problem.

Since I put the saw into service in Feb 2012 it has performed well and to my expectations in hard commercial use.