Hardware City Tools Replacement Knobs and Totes

Review by BigDawg posted 615 days ago 2226 views 2 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hardware City Tools Replacement Knobs and Totes No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently acquired a Stanley #4, Type 11 plane which was in desperate need of restoration. I found the plane at a flea market for $6.00, so if it was a dog then what am I really out? The plane’s body, frog and lever cap were in good shape, so I decided to clean it up and make a user out of it. Unfortunately, both the knob and tote were in horrible shape, which leads me to this review. I found Bill Rittner on the internet after doing a Google search on replacement plane totes. As luck would have it, he actually lives only a couple of miles from me in Connecticut. I contacted him via his website and we arranged for me to come to his shop. I paid him and expected to get a call from him in three weeks as we had agreed. One week later he emailed me and said that my order was ready. WOW! What a difference. Bill makes his totes a little thicker than the factory produced originals and believe me, it does make a difference. I prefer the three finger grip when planing and the overall “feel” with the larger grip is remarkable. Rittner makes the knobs and totes using cherry and walnut, though he can make custom sets using other species. I ordered walnut for both the #4 and a Stanley #5 i had already fettled. The wood is finished with varnish. The set I purchased cost $40 plus shipping.

I think this is a fair deal for such nice work. To order a set, visit his website at www.hardwarecitytools.com or contact Bill Rittner at rbent.ct@gmail.com.

-- Shawn DuGay, Wallingford, CT http://www.bigdogwoodworks.com

View BigDawg's profile

BigDawg

112016 posts in 2210 days

View ichbinpete's profile

ichbinpete

Perfect! I was just looking for a replacement for a hand plane I brought back from my parents last time I visited.

-- It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

Thanks for posting Bill web site this will come in handy dandy for sure…Blkcherry

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

I know of Bill through the Old Tool List. Bill does very nice work. He also has added another item that he makes. He can make wooden screw sets to use if you are making a moxon vise or a leg vise for your bench.

Doc

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc