DeWalt Dust Extracting Vacuum.....As good as Festool?

Review by Cory posted 12-20-2012 04:04 PM 5532 views 1 time favorited 37 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt Dust Extracting Vacuum.....As good as Festool? DeWalt Dust Extracting Vacuum.....As good as Festool? No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this vacuum for $220 from Amazon a week or so ago to replace a 6 year old Craftsman shop vac. I was drawn to this one because of the auto-on switch and the suction adjustment feature. Those are two items I had been wanting after demoing a Fein and Festool vac. At about half the price of those vacuums, this one performs equally well. There are a few minor negatives, but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive.

Positives:
-Excellent suction
-variable speed/suction power is great when using sanders (pieces no longer get sucked into the sanding pad)
-auto switch works with tools to turn vac on/off at start/stop of tool
-easily changed filter and bags
-beefy 14ga power cord
-wheel configuration makes rolling it around very easy in tight spaces
-compact footprint
-seems very well built

Negatives:
-vac stays engaged for 15 seconds after tool turns off (this seems to take forever when you’re waiting for it to stop). Seems like a 5 or 7 second run would be plenty.
-power cord is relatively short
-much heavier than my previous vac (not sure this is really a bad thing)
-Compared to the Fein and Festool the hose is garbage (I’ll continue to use my Mr. Nozzle hose)

Overall I’m thrilled with the vac. I’ve used it extensively over the past week and it has performed very well. If it had a better hose and you could modify the amount of time the vacuum stays on after a tool stops this would be a perfect dust extractor. At half the price and comparable features, IMO it’s every bit as good as much more expensive vacuums.

Thanks for reading.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 12-20-2012 04:11 PM

congratulations.

This is very similar to my porter cable (same company) although with the dewalt version they included the suction amount knob control and from your review it seems like they shortened the power cord.

the vac performs great so far and I use it mainly for sanding and some odd jobs. while it is quieter than most shop vacs, I think it’s nowhere comparable to the festool which is almost silent (haven’t heard the feins), but this one is surely in a more affordable range.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#2 posted 12-20-2012 04:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, Sharon.

I had forgotten to mention the noise level, so thanks for the reminder. When I dial back the suction, the noise is extremely low. It’s easy to carry on a conversation or hear low volume music playing. When the suction is turned all the way up, it’s louder but still not as loud as my Craftsman. I think the DeWalt is rated for about 72dB and the Festool is rated for 62-71dB so it’s comparable.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 12-20-2012 04:22 PM

oh thats good to know… was thinking about getting a 2nd vac for a while… that’s good input about the noise.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#4 posted 12-20-2012 06:35 PM

Is this the machine with an automatic filter shaker? I know some Dewalt and Bosch vacuums have automatic filter shakers, which is supposed to let you do away with the separators.
Thanks for the review

#5 posted 12-20-2012 08:07 PM

I don’t think this one has an automatic filter shaker. I love my dust deputy, though, so I doubt I’d get rid of it anyway.

#6 posted 12-20-2012 08:16 PM

So let’s see, the cord is too short, the vac runs too long after tool shuts off, it’s much noisier than Festool or Fein, and the hose is garbage.
Other than that it’s exactly like the Fein and Festool.
Oh, and it doesn’t have a HEPA filter. Oooppps that version is $400…Small detail.
Nice review.

#7 posted 12-20-2012 08:28 PM

lj61673: Well, I think you misread my review.

1. I didn’t say the cord was too short, just shorter than my previous vac (relatively).
2. Yes. IMO it runs too long after turning off a tool, but that’s personal preference.
3. It’s absolutely NOT noisier than the Fein or Festool. In fact, 1dB is imperceptible.
4. Yes. I feel like the hose should have been better, but even with my aftermarket hose I’m considerably under the cost of a comparable Fein or Festool vac.

A few details weren’t to my liking which is why I gave it 4 stars. But, on the whole I’m very impressed with this vac. Again: There are a few minor negatives, but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive.

For me, cost and value are critical components to a tool purchase. I hope my experience can be helpful to someone else considering a new dust extractor. If you didn’t appreciate it, no worries. Have a great day.

#8 posted 12-20-2012 08:32 PM

Just thought it was interesting how you didn’t compare apples to apples in your review. Add the HEPA option(which the Festool has as standard) to the Dewalt and the cost is right up there with Festool.
At that point the decision becomes easy…

#9 posted 12-20-2012 08:39 PM

lj61673: I think I was comparing apples to apples. All three vacs have similar features. If I add the HEPA filter to the DeWalt for $98 it’s still quite a bit cheaper than the Festool ($300 vs. $575 for a CT26). Clearly they’re different, but isn’t that the point of the review? To give people a barometer to make their own choice based on costs/features/impressions?

#10 posted 12-20-2012 09:00 PM

The point of the review is to put a tool through its paces and report how well it performs with no regard to price, not how well it performs compared to a more expensive model. That’s a COMPARISON, not a review. A review is strictly a mechanical evaluation of function and ease of use. Does the vac have good suction? does it operate smoothly and quietly?, are the controls intuitive and easy to decipher?, are the components well made? is the finish high quality? can the tool stand up to everyday use? is the power cord the correct gauge and length? etc..
Those are the questions that make up an intelligent review IMHO.
Maybe this site needs a COMPARISON section….

#11 posted 12-20-2012 09:10 PM

Thanks for your input. Like most on this site, I’m not an engineer or professional product tester. Just a guy who is trying to buy a tool I can count on and get the most bang for my buck. This is the best vac for the money I’ve ever used, and I’ve used ‘em all.

#12 posted 12-20-2012 09:21 PM

Tell me, if you bought this vac for half the price on Craigslist would you give it a better review? would it be a better tool? of course not, its the same tool regardless of the cost.
That’s why I laugh at all these Harbor Freight reviews..”you know at $1.99 these clamps aren’t so bad” blah blah blah…if they break after 1 use they are garbage NO MATTER what they cost.

This review section is filled with useless reviews like the example I cited.
p.s. you don’t have to be an engineer or a professional product tester to know if something is well made or if it can stand up to the type of use you require of it.

#13 posted 12-20-2012 09:28 PM

I was thinking that maybe I could have done a better job reviewing this vac, or that maybe I missed something or said something to upset you. After going back and reading your posts on several other reviews and other topics, I don’ think that is the case at all. I didn’t do a formal survey, but nearly EVERY post you make is negative, dismissive, arrogant, and/or sarcastic. Maybe you should save yourself and the rest of us and just stop reading the reviews.

#14 posted 12-20-2012 09:41 PM

If they’re all going to be as in depth as yours that’s probably a good idea…enjoy the vac

#15 posted 12-20-2012 10:26 PM

“power cord is relatively short”
How short is it , and compared to what other machine ?
What is wrong with the hose ?
I didn’t know that DeWalt made vacuums , so I thank you for the review : )