Pesky Little Brass Screws and such

Review by MrWoody posted 04-17-2008 03:02 PM 1445 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pesky Little Brass Screws and such Pesky Little Brass Screws and such No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Because of a recent post by Betsy I decided to post this review.
Auger gimlets are small hand drills that closely match screw sizes and are handy for pre-drilling holes for Little brass screws. I also use them for drilling small holes in small pieces when making toys.
I listed them as Lee Valley but they are available elsewhere as they are not made by Lee Valley.
I’ve had mine for over 20 years and the smallest is showing some wear, so I would say they are a good investment

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.

View MrWoody's profile

MrWoody

View Ad Marketing Guy - Bill's profile

Ad Marketing Guy - Bill

#1 posted 04-17-2008 03:16 PM

GREAT solution – THANKS for the posting ! I use the threaded awl, but these are well worth adding the tool collection.

-- Bill - - Ad-Marketing Guy, Ramsey NJ

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#2 posted 04-17-2008 04:12 PM

Great review. Thanks

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#3 posted 04-17-2008 05:41 PM

Great review, I want a set….....never too many tools.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#4 posted 04-17-2008 07:02 PM

I missed those and I go ther every saturday.
This time for sure!

thanks for posting this.
Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View motthunter's profile

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#7 posted 04-18-2008 12:19 AM

MrWoody

Thanks for the info. Never knew there was such a thing. They would be nice to have when you need them.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#8 posted 04-18-2008 03:38 AM

Gimlets are nessary if you ever plan to use cut nails in any construction. Got mine at Garrett Wade.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#9 posted 04-18-2008 05:16 AM

another tool to add to my wish list !

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#10 posted 04-18-2008 05:48 AM

Bob gets to go to Lee Valley every Saturday… :-( Well I suppose there has to be adequate compensation for living in the frozen North beside all the brisk air.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

#11 posted 04-18-2008 12:25 PM

Nice review. I have missed that as well. I look through the Lee Valley site all the time and say I want that, I want that…...

I could not imagine going there every week and coming back without maxing my credit card out. :)

View Betsy's profile

Betsy

#12 posted 04-18-2008 03:21 PM

MrWoody – thanks——I’m thinking if I continue to do boxes I need to get a set of these. It’s frustrating when you strip screws like that.

-- Like a bad penny, I keep coming back!

View Safetyboy's profile

Safetyboy

#13 posted 05-09-2008 03:12 AM

Interesting… but how are these better than pre-drilling a pilot hole with my cordless drill? Other than they don’t run out of batter juice??

-- -- Kevin in Mentor, Ohio