Great saw for the money, even a better package

Review by Oldtool posted 487 days ago 1963 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great saw for the money, even a better package Great saw for the money, even a better package Great saw for the money, even a better package Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been looking at cordless circular saws for some time now, because I want one to take with me to lumberyards to break down long boards so they fit into my small station wagon.
Walking into Lowes three weeks ago looking for an unrelated item, I stumbled upon a Porter Cable combo-package of 4 tools, two Ni-cd batteries and a charger for a price I couldn’t afford to pass up – $129.00. After looking at it for about 10 seconds before I made up my mind to buy it, I was at the register within another 5 seconds, and with my Lowes charge card, I received an additional 5% off the selling price.
Using the circular saw to break down boards to component size, for continued hand tool fininshing, I will say I am personally please with the purchase. Granted, this saw doesn’t cut as fast as a corded saw, but with a maximum cutting depth of 2 – 1/8”, it will do all that I wanted from a cordless saw. The other tools; a drill, light and a reciprocating saw, are all gravy .
If considering such a saw, please keep in mind that I work in a one car garage – so I typically buy tools based on a combination of price & function. By that I mean, if the tool will do what I want it to do for only an occassional use, and it is realitively inexpensive compared to other products on the market, what the heck I’ll but it. I don’t need the best tools, I try to make do with what I have, and I don’t like over spending if I feel the more expensive item won’t do anything the less expensive tool can do. That’s my disclaimer, and I’m sticking to it.
With all this in mind, I gave this Porter Cable PC186CS circular saw 5 stars.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

Great price and congrats to you !

109242 posts in 2077 days

Seems like a lot for a low price.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

i bought the drill and circular saw combo 2-3 years ago and have worked well.i saw comes in handy for a quick cut when in a hurry.thanks for the review.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View troyd1976's profile

troyd1976

Nice review..ive also had the same set, added an impact and its been a good running set for 2-3 years now. my batterys faded quicly on last sawzall use, but im sure thats because i was useing skil ugly blades to cut down some nasty old shrubs. lol

View redryder's profile

redryder

2060 posts in 1601 days

I bought the same pack a couple of years ago except Lithium’s (Nicad’s are old school).
I also bought all the rest of the Porter Cable cordless family (jigsaw, sawzall, vacuum etc).
They have all performed great. One of my batteries crapped out about a year and a half after purchase and Porter Cable replaced it free with thier two year battery warranty. Save your receipts…...................

-- mike...............

View rejo55's profile

rejo55

I found this set in a pawn shop about two years ago with three NiCad batteries and charger for $75.00. Have used them almost every day (except the light) and love them. One battery just came apart about two weeks ago, but I don’t consider that a major problem. I intend to upgrade to Lithium Ion in the near future.
I agree with your five star rating. Good tools!
Have a good’un
Joe

-- rejo55, East Texas

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

I own this set. The drill went out on me after just light use. I was a little ticked. I need to get ahold of PC about the warranty. Now where did I put that receipt…

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I bought the drill/circular saw pack around Christmas of 2011 for $89. Not a bad set, like the drill, but the batteries give up the ghost quickly on the circular saw.
Take the extra battery with you for sure to the lumber yard.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Rick M.'s profile (online now)

Rick M.

I’ve had the same set for a couple years and am very happy with it. The drill torque adjustment is inconsistent and nearly unusable, with the same setting I might drive a screw all the way through a board or it might stop flush, never can tell. The circular saw throws all the dust and chips straight at your face and I’m afraid to use it with anything less than a face shield. And it would have been nice if the charger was a nicad/lithium instead of just nicad. But I use the recip saw the most, it’s nice for pruning trees and bushes or remodeling work. The carry bag is super handy. The flashlight is nice and bright. For what I paid, it’s been a great set.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View Chris Moellering's profile

Chris Moellering

My wife picked this up for me 2 years ago for Christmas and really got me going in woodworking. I agree, it’s a decent saw. I use the drill/driver the most. I wish it didn’t wobble so much, but it has decent power and battery life. I’ve only used the reciprocating saw a few times and it works well, but yes, it sucks the battery down in a hurry with big brush blades cutting downed branches. The light….well, it projects light….never really used it.

-- Grace & peace, Chris+

View restless's profile

restless

i also bought this set last summer with a impact driver and all in a clearance option for $200 I got 2 drills 1 impact driver flashlight 2 reciprocating saws and 2 circular saws. Best deal I have found. I am still using the old orange B&D 18v drill/ driver but I go to these far more often now better power, and i like the led light quite handy at times. NiCD batteries are seldom great on saws. now if I could get the wife to stop carring them off to other parts of the house.