JessEm Router Lift II

Review by johnstoneb posted 12-16-2012 01:34 PM 3575 views 4 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JessEm Router Lift II JessEm Router Lift II No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been looking fo a router lift for the past couple of months. I found the JessEm and was planning on buying it after christmas. Woodcraft wanted $179.99 Rockler had it in there catalog for $149.99. My local Woodcraft put it on sale for christmas for $159.99. with that price I puchased it.
I should have bought one years ago. I have had my router mounted in a router table for years and have never used it as much as I could have because it was such a pain to reach underneath and change bits and adjusting for height was always a guess.
The JessEm allows me to change bits above the table. The micrometer height adjustment allows adjustments to .001. Mounting the the lift is easy, simply rout the cutout to depth. The instructions do not include a template for cutting the access hole thru the table. Supposedly your supplier has access to them. I was to impatient I just measured cut a rough hole then trace around the base and cut and adjusted until it fit. I did modifiy the cutout slightly. I routed groove 1/8” deep around the perimeter and epoxied an aluminum strip into it. This serves as reinforcement for the leveling screws.
This lift is well built and takes a 3 1/2” diameter router. The sears router I used had the large nut for adjustment and large adjustment threads on the housing giving it a 3 5/8” diameter. I had to sand the threads off to get to the 3 1/2” diameter and modify the wiring. I have 2 routers and after using this lift I don’t plan on removing this router. It has made using the router table so much easier. I now have what I wanted when I originally built the router table.

View Boris 's profile

Boris

#1 posted 12-16-2012 05:06 PM

I have the same one, And I like it a lot, it makes raise and lower the bit really easy. And is provablly the cheapest one in the marked and the performance is outstanding. Great product , congratulation .

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

#2 posted 12-16-2012 05:39 PM

i just ordered one from lee valley. They are $20 cheaper than woodcraft. Well actually the one in rockler and woodwrcraftr only works fro craftsman, porter cable, dewalt and bosch. The one i bought works only for Hitachi M12VC. So be careful when buying a lift since they make different version for different routers.

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

#3 posted 12-17-2012 03:13 AM

What’s the difference between this and the Mast-R-Lift? I have a Mast-R-Lift, bought it about two years ago and as I recall it was about double the price you reference. Looks pretty similar to the photos you posted except mine is black. FYI – they do not include cutout templates, but they do sell them separately. As I recall they wanted about $25 for it and it’s just a piece of MDF you can use with a pattern bit. A bit pricey to be sure!

#4 posted 12-17-2012 03:16 AM

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

#5 posted 12-17-2012 03:33 AM

Router Lift II is the lower end of their router lift.
The template they sell is to cut out the outer part of the lift plate., but not the inner shape of the lift.

Which we have to measure it? does the manual include the measurements?

#6 posted 12-17-2012 03:34 AM

I don’t know what the difference between this and the Mast-R-Lift. Once I read up on this one in the catalogs and saw the Mast-r-lift price. I didn’t look any further. This had what I wanted feature wise and the price beat everybody else.

#7 posted 12-17-2012 11:31 AM

The Manual includes some measurements. I just turned it upside down and traced the outline.

View plantek's profile

plantek

#8 posted 12-18-2012 12:46 PM

I have the same one and love it.
Have fun…

-- If you want it and it's within reason... It's on it's way!