Avanti PRO 8" Stacked Dado = SUCKS

Review by Brian Strothcamp posted 592 days ago 5279 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Avanti PRO 8" Stacked Dado = SUCKS Avanti PRO 8" Stacked Dado = SUCKS Avanti PRO 8" Stacked Dado = SUCKS Click the pictures to enlarge them

There should be a ZERO star rating. I think the photos speak for themselves…

They sell this junk at Home Depot and Im returning it per the instructions on the box (see pic)

$49 USD… it was sharp though

View Brian Strothcamp's profile

Brian Strothcamp

112001 posts in 2181 days

It’s hard to find a good Dado set in that price range,to be it didn’t work out.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

Seems like the best sub-$100 dado set is probably the Oshlun

Don’t you recognize the excess glue squeeze out trough when you see one ? LOL

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

That’s a pretty bad cut…

If you catch it on sale, (like now) the dewalt/delta dado set is probably best bang for your buck. Right now, with amazon’s $25 off $100 dewalt deal, it's $88.65 shipped. I paid $85 for mine over the summer and couldn’t be happier. I’m sure the $200+ sets cut nicer, but not $115+ nicer. I love the case.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Boxguy's profile

Boxguy

I agree. I took mine back too and have been happy with the Freud I bought.

-- Big Al in IN

View cpd011's profile

cpd011

I get the same cut as well. I would not recommend this set even at $49.

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

There’s an old saying: you get what you pay for. Since you saved some money (the amount of which is determined using the price of this units replacement) may be sufficient to purchase a nice shoulder plane, which would clean up that rabbit in one or two passes.
It all boils down to personal preferences for tool purchases and willingness to spend more.
Are you going to get a more expensive set?

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View William's profile

William

Ever so often you can find the Diablo dado set at Home Depot for $49. That’s what I paid for mine and have been pretty happy with it.

I looked at this same avanti set.
Then I remembered my only experience with Avanti was a saw blade that someone had given me as a present. It cut so badly that it only made two cuts on my saw before I threw it in the trash.
So I decided to leave the Avanti dado set on the shelf.

-- http://wddsrfinewoodworks.blogspot.com/

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

Two words, Infinity Dadonator.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

I wonder if it’s an inaccurate arbor hole (I don’t know the proper terminology). That’s a pathetic cut. Maybe you can make some throwing stars out of it;) Sorry for this experience, but thanks.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

thanks for the review.i’ve looked at that set at hd and wondered if it was any good.will definately save the extra money for a better set.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

My money would also be on arbor holes of different diameters, or blades/chippers of different overall lengths. Either way that is a very bad cut. I purchased the Freud SD208 at HD for $99 and have been pretty happy with it, but as NiteWalker suggested the DeWalt set is cheaper, probably just as good in terms of cut quality, and I believe it also comes with a chipper size that allows you to cut 23/32” dadoes without having to use shims, which is the thing I hate the most about the SD208.

View John 's profile

John

208 posts in 2006 days

Avanti 10” blades make good Hand Plane blades, that’s about it!

-- John

View Brian Strothcamp's profile

Brian Strothcamp

To add to the review…

The arbor holes were very nice fitting so the bad cut relates to chippers of different diameter.
Im going for the Freud SD208 at woodcraft for 99 – 10 bucks on purchases over 25… so 89 total

I knew it was going to be poor quality but sometimes you never know. With the no hassle return policy figured whay not try it… so now I write this review so others can save their time.

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

Brian, I also saw that set at HD next to the SD208 (which I ended up buying). I think you’ll be much happier with the SD208.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.