Rockwell 3Rill 12v lithium ion drill was a decent value.

Review by mbs posted 584 days ago 2991 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockwell 3Rill 12v lithium ion drill was a decent value. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This drill was on sale for around $90 several months ago and it offered free lifetime replacement batteries which caught my interest. It didn’t come with a regular chuck – just accepts the 1/4” hex tools. I bought a regular chuck that fits in the hex end but it doesn’t have a keyless chuck.

I don’t have the need for anything more than 12v. so the power is enough for me. I can’t really tell the difference between the different settings other than the speed.

I’ve changed the rating several times between 3 and 4 while writing the review. The reason I didn’t give a higher rating is because there is a lot of runout at the tip of the tool, it’s not real smooth at low speeds, and I think there are better tools for the money now. I believe this tool is $130 now. And when I compare it to a festool drill or an older porter-cable it just isn’t the same quality (but the 3Rill is cheaper too).

Below is what the manufacturer says about the tool:
Introducing the 3RILL™ from Rockwell, a cordless drill that does it all AND it comes with a LIFETIME REPLACEMENT BATTERY program. The 3RILL™ is an impact driver, two-speed drill, and screwdriver—three awesome tools in one! Never before has a tool of this size been able to cover such a wide range of drilling and driving applications. In impact mode, the 3RILL™ pounds out 800 inch pounds of torque driving force. When used as a drill, the driving speed tops out at 2,200 RPM. The 1/4” quick-change hex chuck makes changing from drilling to driving bits a snap. In screwdriver mode, the clutch can be set as low as 3 inch pounds of torque. This means the 3RILL™ can drive even the smallest, most delicate brass screws without damage, and then instantly change and drive a huge lag bolt without a problem.

The 3RILL™ weighs less than three pounds and is well balanced, allowing the user to perform all applications comfortably. This TORQUE ON DEMAND Li-Ion 12 volt all-in-one drill and drive machine will lead the pack with its efficient design and performance. Charging time is only 15 minutes for a 75% charge and 30 minutes for a 100% charge, so downtime is virtually eliminated. Includes: 3RILL™, two 12V Li-Ion Batteries, Charger, Carry Case, Assorted selection of drills and driver bits and LIFETIME REPLACEMENT BATTERY program.

Specs:

Impact Driver Mode: 0-2,200 RPM

Screwdriver Mode: 22 Clutch Settings

Impact Rate: 0-3,000 BPM

Chuck Size: 1/4” Hex

Max Torque: 800 in-lbs (Impact Mode)

Charging time: 30 Minutes

Weight: 2.7 lbs.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View mbs's profile

mbs

Shame that they’re using the Rockwell name on this stuff after it’s long history as quality machinery makers.
Nice review though : )

View crashn's profile

crashn

Since this is the impact driver, I would not expect great runout. I would not even be using it as a drill, just a fastener driver. Likely why they did not put a chuck on it :) Sure, you can use it as a drill, and I do with my impact, but I dont use it where I need absolute precision. Pilot hole for screw in side of cabinet, sure. shelf hole jig, no.

Additionally, the run out may be from your adapter, as the hex driver attachment is not as secure and tight fitting as a traditional spindle taper.

How does it do as an impact driver?

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View mbs's profile

mbs

This sentence if from their ad “The 3RILL™ is an impact driver, two-speed drill, and screwdriver—three awesome tools in one!”. I haven’t tried it specifically as an impact driver. I agree, the runout is impacted by the tool too.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.