Woodpeckers framing squares

Review by mbs posted 572 days ago 3572 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodpeckers framing squares No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I needed to check both flatness and squareness across long surfaces and long miter fences. The most accurate tool I had was a Starrett 12” combination square. After a lot of time screwing around I came to the conclusion that the Starrett square wasn’t square and the blade wasn’t long enough to check for flatness. I borrowed my friends Woodpeckers framing square and I was done with the machine setup in no time. And it was perfectly accurate. You can see from the pictures that the square has a beefy edge that fits nicely against edge of wood while the long arm sits flat on the surface of the wood for easy marking. The finish is top shelf red anodized so it’s easy to locate.

I wanted to buy the square from Woodpeckers but it was a one time run. My friend went to a woodworking show and he found a framing square and a 640 square that he bought for me. I’ve used them for a few months now and these are fantastic squares. They are very pricey and not necessary for most projects but I wouldn’t want to be without something of their quality for machine setup.

I would have preferred to have a big triangle only because if I drop the framing square it probably will be out of square. I couldn’t find a big triangle though.

These items are a one time run but I believe you can go to the woodpeckers website and let them know you’re interested in the product and when they get enough orders they’ll make a batch.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Are you sure your starrett was off?
If so, you can send it to starrett for recalibration.

That big framing square looks great, but I bet it was $$$$.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

mbs

I’m positive the Starrett was off. The cuts made using the starrett weren’t square using the 5 cut method and 30” wood. They were square when using woodpecker square. And I checked the woodpeckers square to the starrett and the starrett was off.

I called starrett for a recalibration price. It was approx. $90! And I have two starrett combo’s that are out of cal.

I’m very disappointed in Starrett.

You’re right, the Woodpeckers square was $$$$. I think I paid around $180 for it. Ouch! But on a positive note, I’m using it today to figure out why my router table isn’t flat.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Wow, I had no idea starrett charges so much for a recal…

Have you checked the starrett using the parallel line technique? It should give you an indication of how far off it is. Also, with a small auger file you can file the nibs down that the rule rests on and make it true again.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

mbs

I may try filing it down to get it square.

View hammer6048's profile

hammer6048

I have the issue with a Starrett builders square, a poor product for the price, this is not a cheap tool, at $390.00. I bought it to square my Festool MFT. Never can get a square cut, a real disappointment, ordered a Woodpeckers square, hope it shows up soon. Would have second thoughts about any more Starrett products.

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

What did they say when you sent it back?

-- It's all good, if it's wood...