A Different League

Review by mcase posted 12-14-2012 08:19 PM 2190 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Different League No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well I finally did it and got a Lie-Nielsen. I wasn’t planning on getting the bronze, but they were temporarily out of the iron so I sprung for it. I like the weight in a smoother anyway and it looks totally cool too. What can I say? Its in a whole different league than my previous purchases. I didn’t have to touch this plane. It was ready to go: flat sole, all the edges eased, flat and square blade, the chip breaker was square and true (and long enough), no slop on in the depth adjustment, the tote was faired beautifully. In short, it was perfect. The blade comes set at at 25 degrees, but I like a hollow grind at 30 or better so I put it on the Tormek. It took a while on the Tormek to get that five degrees I wanted – This A2 IS hard all right! The edge retention has been great and needless to say the plane performs superbly. That gnarly piece of oak in background was my test piece. This plane smoothed with ease. Merry Christmas to me!

View mcase's profile

mcase

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

#1 posted 12-14-2012 08:27 PM

I have the same plane in iron….not much to add except congrats!
Perfectly flat and true right out of the box…just hone the blade and let the whispy shavings fall..perfection.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#2 posted 12-14-2012 10:59 PM

That’s a beautiful plane MCase, congrats!

15336 posts in 1940 days