Great Little Clamp, Still Made in Germany

Review by NiteWalker posted 12-12-2012 06:45 PM 1869 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Little Clamp, Still Made in Germany No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For a long while, I was using the small black and orange spring clamps for holding corner blocks in place, but since these blocks are somewhat load bearing in the application I use them for, I wanted something that would give me better clamping pressure without being too big or cumbersome.

These clamps fit the bill perfectly. They’re small, lightweight, have excellent build quality, have good clamping force and they weren’t too expensive. I got them from mcfeely’s, who had the best shipped price I could find. By buying more than 5 at a time, I got a quantity discount, and with a coupon from a previous order I got even more off. I ended up paying about $4.64/clamp shipped.

These are quality clamps at a good price. They’re still made in Germany too. Since I use 6 or more at a time, I bought 12, then 12 more, and by the time I’m finished adding them to my collection I’ll probably add another 24.

One thing that did annoy me a bit (not enough to change the rating) was the barcode stickers on the handles. I removed them and they left a sticky residue that I had to clean off with alcohol, which also took off the barcode and labeling on the wooden handles. Not a big deal as it probably would have wore off anyway, but I wish the stickers were laced on the bar or jaws. I’m not sure if it was bessey or mcfeely’s that did that with the labels, but it was annoying to remove them and then clean off the gook left over.

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 12-12-2012 07:34 PM

Just got one of these at Lowes. I agree with your assessment of the quality and construction.

One annoying characteristic, for me, is the ease at which they slide. It is almost impossible to preset the clamping distance then one handed try to position the clamp without it changing the distance. This is especially true if the clamp is used vertically.

Other than that, I like the unit.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#2 posted 12-12-2012 07:44 PM

I haven’t found the sliding to be an issue yet, but I mostly use them horizontally.
They took some getting used to compared to clutch clamps though.

Also, I added a small peeve in my review.

View derosa's profile

derosa

#3 posted 12-12-2012 07:58 PM

I have one of these and would never buy another one. The lack of a locking mechanism to stop the one arm from moving drives me nuts not to mention how weak I find it. Mine is also bent warped although I use another clamp of the same strength and size from another brand that has held up a lot better.

-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse

#4 posted 12-12-2012 08:02 PM

Russ, I don’t find them all that weak in use. They apply a lot more pressure than the spring clamps I used, and more than the 6” quick grips I use too.

What is the other brand clamp you use? I found the light duty jorgensens that use the clutch but they were more expensive than the besseys by about $2/clamp. Woodcraft has some small 4 inch clamps I thought about too, but the besseys were only about $.60 more/clamp and have a lifetime warranty.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#5 posted 12-12-2012 08:25 PM

I have some of those too and they are great little clamps. I usually buy them when there is a sale.

I also have a couple of these that I find very useful.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View MatthewG's profile

MatthewG

#6 posted 12-13-2012 04:25 AM

@NiteWalker—I hear you about the adhesive residue. I use a product called GooGone to remove residue. Never seen it damage a finish, and it smells good :) You can get it at almost any hardware store.

-- Matthew, from beautiful Wisconsin USA

View derosa's profile

derosa

#7 posted 12-13-2012 05:54 AM

I use the jorg light duties that you mention, woodworkingshop.com sells them for the same price as Lowes or Woodcraft sell the bessey, if you’ve found them cheaper then these two places by 2.00 then I’d agree they are a bargain.

-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse

#8 posted 12-13-2012 06:02 AM

Matthew, I don’t have goo gone but really need to get a bottle…
It may have still rubbed the ink on the handle off though; it didn’t take much at all to rub it off. I have more of the mighty minis arriving tomorrow so I’ll grab a bottle and see how it goes.

Russ, that’s one of the places I found the jorgies; with a free shipping code they’d be $5.95 each. I was able to end up paying $4.64 shipped for each of the besseys I got; closer in price, but over 24 clamps the extra $1.31 for each clamp adds up. Like I said, if I needed a clutch version I’d go for the jorgies, but the besseys meet my needs.