Great Tool and Even Better Customer Service From Home Depot

Review by NormG posted 599 days ago 1672 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Tool and Even Better Customer Service From Home Depot No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Wife purchased an additional smoke detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector today, which required me to get out the drill.

I received this as a gift last year after my prior drill of 10 years died. I really do not need much more than this as I really do not have a need. So it meets my needs. It is comfortable to hold and use, the battery life is very good, as is the ability to perform as a drill and driver and general uses as a flap sander, wire wheel distress-er etc . I use it in the shop and other places as needed. My kids even used as a weapon one day I believe playing Star Wars. Has proven to be very dependable for a 12 volt tool.

UNTIL -

I went to use it to drill those holes today. Put the drill bit in tighten it up, the Chuck turned a couple of turns and then stopped, I put the backup battery in and the same thing happened. I just used this drill a few days ago and charged one of the Batteries. I get my electric drill, mount the detectors. I then put one the the batteries in the charger. Both lights flash on the charger, advising the battery is bad. The same thing for the backup battery.

I check the Ryobi site for any information about this happenings and I Google to see if there is a resolution I can perform – Nothing. I try to contact someone at Ryobi customer service, no assistance there.

Depending on where you obtain these batteries they range from $40 to $60 a piece. I looking at buying a new drill for what batteries will cost plus a little more cash. But I need a battery powered drill.

Home Depot is just down the street, so I go there. For whatever reason, I take one of the batteries with me (One+12V CB120L). They have a whole shelf of them for $35 plus tax, I can purchase an 18v for $99.00 on sale. The tool area employee asked if I needed any assistance. I explain my situation. He hands me one of the new batteries and recommends I go speak with Customer Service to see if the is anything they can do.

They are a couple of people in front of me and I think just going to purchase that $99 drill. But then it is my turn. I explain my situation, that since it was a gift I do not have the receipt and this is what happens. The reps name was Gil. Gil calls the tool manager and explains my situation. I am resolved to purchase that new drill.

To my surprise, the tool manager approves a CRD, not for one battery but for both. I leave with one battery and was advised just to bring the other one in and it would be replaced at that time. Well I go home get the other battery before there is a change in the answer and leave with the additional new battery. That was it, I have 2 new batteries, one has been charged and is already in the drill, performing well.

Home Depot could have just told me no and/or just one battery, but they did not. It was a good visit to Home Depot.

Even though there was a battery issue times 2 at the same time. I gave the tool 5 stars because of the way Home Depot handled the situation.

-- Norman

View Willardz's profile

Willardz

Wow, they treated you great. I have had the same problem with my 18 volt Ryobi. I am not going to buy another Ryobi.

-- I have Carrie, food, shelter, and wood to turn. What else do I need? http://www.willardwoodworking.com

My prior was also a 12V Ryobi, it was great, in addition of other uses I used it to rebuild a house and it still worked great, it was 10 years old when the bearing gave way

-- Norman

View jap's profile

jap

yah their batteries will die after a while

-- Joel

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

That’s a sweet deal. Those Ryobi batteries don’t last long, so I imagine they are used to it by now. Nevertheless, amazing service. Good job Home Depot.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

The Ni-Cad batteries in tools from the past several years are known for their short life. The newer lithium batteries have a much longer life, as I cross my fingers, and can handle heavy drilling better than the ni-cads.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View mtn_goat's profile

mtn_goat

Nicely done Norman. I am in the same boat, but my HD is not as nice. My older NiCad batteries lasted me years, but the new Li batteries my wife “upgraded” for me as a gift, died within the same year (sadly she lost the recept). I’d be a fan of Ryobi stuff, I think its well thought out and I like all the options you have. Its unfortunate they drop the ball on the easiest part…the battery.

View jim C's profile

jim C

I have 2 lithium ryobi’s, and they are at least 7-8 years old. Original batteries. I store the batteries in the house for the winter months, as I believe cold is an enemy to battery life.
The drills in general are powerful, well-balanced and a charge lasts a long time.
Great drills!

View woodnewbee's profile

woodnewbee

I have a set of Ryobi tools and bought Li Ion batts for saws as the originals just didn’t work. One of the batteries is at least 4 years old and has been used alot as I do some rehab work on houses and building my own backyard shop. Batteries are holding up at least as good as my DeWalt ones.
Only complaint is bought new recip saw and first use won’t hold blade. Sending it in for warranty will cost what a new saw will cost. Oh well other stuff has served me well. WaynO

View bobdurnell's profile

bobdurnell

Just to lend my 2cents- I have 12 ryobi li ion tools but I use the larger 18v battery that has the life indicator on it. I found the cheaper battery that doesn’t have the indicator will dye when you least expect it. With regard to Home Depot service I too had a battery that would not hold a charage I had a receipt and was given a new battery no questions asked.

-- bobdurnell, Santa Ana California.

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

@Bogeyguy: that totally depends on how they are used. Ni-CD work great, IF you charge/disharge them properly. Li-Ion is the same story, they must be charged properly and they will work for a long time.

The advantage of Li-Ion is that you don’t have to discharge (and more current output of course).

-Dave

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com