As the price falls, the rating rises

Review by ic3ss posted 12-03-2012 03:33 AM 5125 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 3.5
2 reviews total
Add my Review

As the price falls, the rating rises No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I found this Jet JWL 1236 lathe on Craigslist and just got it home and set up today. I’ve gone over many reviews of this lathe on the web, and the couple hours use I’ve had today have proven some of the gripes right. I put a 4×4 on it and rounded it, and I found it has a rattle coming from somewhere but the lathe doesn’t shake like some have said. It seems to have enough weight to keep from dancing around. The rattle I think is made worse by the dull tools I was using, I need to sharpen them. This is I think the only really bad thing I’ve found from my test drive today. The motor seems to have enough power that I didn’t stop it with the tool, and it does seem to run smooth and pretty quiet.

As far as the lathe goes, if I had paid $600 or more for this or any other lathe and had the rattle I would probably have downgraded my rating, but for $350 I can live with it without much complaint.

View ic3ss's profile

#1 posted 12-03-2012 03:56 AM

-- Custom furniture

View doordude's profile

1085 posts in 2069 days

#2 posted 12-03-2012 11:41 PM

hey great price and it spins, what more do you want

5086 posts in 2090 days

#3 posted 12-05-2012 01:35 AM

If it meats your needs, is safe to use and the price is right, it is a perfect match

-- Norman

View dhazelton's profile

#4 posted 12-05-2012 03:04 PM

Put two or three sandbags on the bottom shelf and see if the rattle goes away.

View Jimbo4's profile

#5 posted 12-05-2012 03:24 PM

Might check the Reeves drive for the rattle.

-- *Arachnoleptic Fit*: The frantic dance performed just after you've accidently walked through a spider web.

View thedude50's profile

#6 posted 12-08-2012 12:27 AM

I use this same lathe almost each week It has been great for me I have zero complains and have used it for 8 years or so

-- Please check out my new stores and

View HorizontalMike's profile

6978 posts in 2000 days

#7 posted 12-09-2012 06:28 PM

I have to agree, that for the price you paid on CL, you got a bargain. New prices are still holding me back from getting a lathe.

-- HorizontalMike -- "Woodpeckers understand..."

View Grandpa's profile

#8 posted 12-09-2012 10:02 PM

I was given one of these in nearly new condition. I like it. The uncle that gave it to me had cut the legs off about 5 inches. I priced new legs and they wanted almost $400!!. I think Harbor Freight sells legs that will fit this lathe. The front leg doesn’t have the hole for the switch but I am going to check this out. You have a nice machine here. Thanks for the review.

View ic3ss's profile

#9 posted 12-11-2012 09:43 PM

I found where the rattle was coming from yesterday. I was looking at it and realized a handle that i was not familliar with. I guess i’m getting old ‘cause I didn’t even notice there was a handle to lock down the headstock. It was loose allowing the headstock to move around a bit. I locked it down and now it’s nice and quiet.

Now i need to figure out a better sharpening setup for my tools. I used my grinder with a homemade cradle and the grinder left a huge burr on all of the tools. I was looking at the Tormek but I’m not sure if I want to spend that much.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

#10 posted 03-14-2013 12:46 AM

They have a Tormec knock off at Grizzly that a friend bought, seems to work well and was less than 250 shipping and all.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.