The Ridgid digital miter gauge

Review by garriv777 posted 12-02-2012 03:05 PM 3058 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Ridgid digital miter gauge No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This will be my first review posted at this site and I felt I should share my experience with this tool because someone else left a glowing review and I just had to let people know that this same tool was not at all the quality tool that I thought it was going to be. Maybe I just got a bad one or something but the following is my account of the quality of this tool:

I purchased this tool online at the HD website along with a Bosch router. The packaging was fine, no damage at all and I was pleased and impressed with the fine job of packaging that HD did to make my things arrive in pristine shape.

After unpackaging the gauge I proceeded to put it together and quickly found a major issue and a few minor ones. First of all, no matter what I did, I could NOT remove the slop in the gauge. The runner is adjustable but the problem is is that even with the revolving spacer/washer near the top of the runner it would not span the width of my t-slot. Let me stipulate that I have a standard 3/4 ” x 3/8” slot but at the very bottom where the widest part of the T is it is about 7/8” in width and the adjustable spacer is just NOT long enough to span the width and hence the spacer is useless. I decided then, after making sure that I was not doing something wrong and double checking the instruction sheet, to just abondon the spacer altogether and try and shim the runner. I was able to place two playing cards wrapped in foil in between the double runner and that helped out quite a bit ( the runner is made up of the main body and a slightly thinner one that screws to the main body, this makes it adjustable for various tracks ) but after giving it some thought I just figured that I should not have to be doing this to a brand new gauge and I was going to return it.

Another consideration about the so-called adjustable runner was that the washer/adjuster is located about an inch from the far end but there isn’t anything in the middle or at the other end so even if I could get it to fit, it would have fit nicely at the tip but the rest of the runner would have had slop all the way down. With the Incra jigs, for instance, they provide an expanding washer in several places along the bar and that is how it should be to get uniform fit from the bar, in my opinion.

Lastly, there were a few minor flaws that bugged me. The sliding track does not slide very fluidly. I suppose a little wax rubbed on the track would have taken care of that, but just thought I’d mention it. And the gauge also came with a micro adjust feature for use with the stops that can be taken on and off of the fence but the screw threads were a little messed up and it just didn’t turn very well, kept getting stuck and became very hard to turn. These minor issues I could have lived with but the fact that the bar just will not span the width of my track means that I will be returning this item.

As far as what’s good about the gauge, it seems pretty solidly made and has some heft. The digital part worked nicely and I liked the little audible click when you set it at an angle.

This could have been a fine product with a little more thought about its construction and quality control but, like I said, I will be returning it. I think I’m going to go with the Incra V27, it’s got the adjustable washers in several places along the bar and to be honest, after playing around with the sliding fence on the Ridgid, I think I actually prefer not having one and just going with a wooden fence screwed to the gauge.

Like I also mentioned, it is possible that I just got a bad one or something. Someone else may have a totally different experience, not sure. I did notice that if you check out the reviews of this product at the HD site that several people have complained about the bar not fitting the slot.

Anyway, I hope this review helps someone possibly and thanks for taking the time to read…..:)..............................................................G-Man

View patron's profile

patron

13169 posts in 2087 days

#1 posted 12-02-2012 05:02 PM

i got the osborne EB 3
and love it
(they are on sale now)

it was right on 90* as it came
(of course i didn’t read the directions
and ‘adjusted’ it
took me a bit to get it back to square) lol

it works right or left (needs to be moved over for that)
and has a sliding arm and stop that flips out of the way
3 adjusting screws for runner fit
and positive stops for angle cuts either miter direction

send that one back
and check out the osborne one
you won’t be disappointing

mr osborne is a lumberjock too
so you can pm him if you have any questions

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#2 posted 12-02-2012 10:51 PM

I bought the craftsman branded version of this gauge. Out of the box, the gauge failed to turn-on(yes, it had good batteries). After reading this review, it doesn’t sound as if I missed much.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1937 days

#3 posted 12-03-2012 02:31 AM

I have the Osborne also, like the preset stops. A dead on tool. Based on your review if it cost over a hundred take it back.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

#4 posted 12-03-2012 06:38 PM

I think I agree with you about preferring a sacrificial scrap screwed to the miter gauge, vs. a metal fence. That way you can make zero-clearance cuts. I have noticed significant improvement in the quality of my tenons cut this way.

#5 posted 12-04-2012 03:51 PM

Thanks Patron, I’ll check out the sale, not sure if I’m gonna buy yet but thanks for the heads up.

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#6 posted 12-04-2012 07:07 PM

Thanks for the review,I’m a little surprised you gave it so many stars when it performed so poorly.
I too have and Osborne and have been happy with it for years.

#7 posted 12-04-2012 08:46 PM

I also have the Osborne and I love it.
IMO, The design is so much better than any other miter gauge.

#8 posted 12-04-2012 10:11 PM

@a1Jim: I gave it two stars because in actuallity the gauge itself is pretty well made and acurate, it’s the things that are attached to it that are problematic ( the runner, fence, stops ). It’s too bad that the runner is integral to the gauge because I probably would keep it if all I had to do was to buy an after market runner and attach it but since I can’t do that, it’s going back. I am thinking of going with the Osbourne, just seems a little bulky to me, that’s the only thing that I kind of don’t like about it. I have a Bosch 1031 contractor saw and I think I like the compactness of the Incra so I’m thinking of going with the v27 but if I find that I don’t like it then I will definitely give the Osbourne a try. This could turn into a perpetual quest for a good miter gauge…..:)