Hitachi C12FDH- a saw not even student contractors could kill

Review by HarveyM posted 602 days ago 5298 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hitachi C12FDH- a saw not even student contractors could kill Hitachi C12FDH- a saw not even student contractors could kill Hitachi C12FDH- a saw not even student contractors could kill Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this saw at the beginning of our home addition/renovation with the intention of using it to do the trim work. I wanted a professional quality saw without breaking the budget (I had the contractors for the budget busting). We had a 600 sq. ft new master bedroom/ensuite and family room added to our 960 sq. ft bungalow. The construction crew (Architecture students under a Professional Architect/construction contractor) immediately started using it for framing (honestly if I had realized I would have gone for a slider). They were cutting up to 2 by 12s fourteen feet long on the thing (they were lifting the end cut) for 4 months.

After they finished I replaced the blade (they also cut vinyl 1×8 outside trim pieces and the melted vinyl ruined the blade) I started using it for the window trim. I thought it ok but not great. Out of the box I found some of the screws (like cover over the arbor) really tight, but it didn’t strip out, as was reported on Amazon reviews. Having a good quality screwdriver helped there. Minor quibble was the average (aka poor) dust collection and awkward carry. It really needs a second carry handle, the natural tendency is to use the miter lock handle, which developed a bend on mine, resulting in a less than quality feel when locking down (but doesn’t affect the functionality). The motor isn’t soft-start, so it will jump when engaged partially lowered. Starting it raised eliminates the torque jerk. On the plus side the geared bevel is handy for fine adjustments and the adjustable bevel stops (0, 45 degrees, right and left) a bonus for long term use.

Before I got to the cabinet valences and baseboard trim I decided to tune up the saw then decide if I’d replace it with a Dewalt DW716 or maybe a Milwaukee 6955 slider (I even thought long and hard on the Festool Knapex). After some frustration I realized the left hand fence had a divot in it, like it had been damaged by a carbide saw blade, resulting in a bent fence. I straightened it with a few measured taps using a dead-blow hammer and got the fences aligned. The saw is now performing like a champ, spot on all the time.

There you have it, a saw not even student contractors could kill. I’d highly recommend this saw for anyone needing a durable, accurate saw on a budget. It’ll go the distance.

View HarveyM's profile

HarveyM

I have the 12 inch slider and love the thing… Great saw.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

I owned this saw for 5 years, and it performed flawlessly the whole time. The only reason that I sold it was to replace it with the 12” sliding Hitachi.

I dont want to say this is a “best buy” among miter saws because that comment usually indicates that a tool is not a top performer. There is an exception with this saw, it is a best buy/top performer.

View japanesewoodworker's profile

japanesewoodworker

I am in-the-market for a good quality miter saw and stand. I have been pondering the same brands as others on this thread. Thank you all for this information and your opinions.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

Lowes has the 12 inch slider for $399 right now, but that is a unit best set up on a bench and left there in my mind. A friend has an older Hitachi 8 inch slider and THAT is the saw that I would love to have.