Cookies in the shop . . . mmmm.

Review by ic3ss posted 605 days ago 1997 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cookies in the shop . . . mmmm. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So, I’ve been eyeing these silly things for about two years now wondering how would I use them and would it really be worth having. Well, I finally picked up a set at Rockler on sale for $8 last week and decided to use them for finishing a top to an end table. My old Unisaw serves double duty as a workbench/finish assembly talbe in my garage so I put down newspaper and the table top sits on the cookies. What I noticed was now nice it is to lay down wipe on poly on the surface and just be able to go around the edges without picking the piece up and having to worry about the edges sticking to the paper. Having it elevated a little bit was really kind of nice. This is the only job I had for them so far, but I will say that I dropped one from chest high and it landed on the concrete on it’s edge and didn’t break. I’m sure I’ll be able to find more uses for these in my shop. I kinda’ like ‘em.

Wayne

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

View jim C's profile

jim C

Wayne
I have a set and use them for staining as well.

Thanks

I usually use painters pyramids for finishing. The only problem is they slide around when you blow your project off with compressed air. Maybe I should try the cookie cone accessories they have now. It would be nice to use them for something besides paperweights.

I have had 8 of them since they came out and use them all the time. I use them alot for sanding and or finishing. I bought the metal rack and found that I really like having them handy instead of the plastic tubes they come in.
enjoy.

112000 posts in 2178 days

Here’s an alternative.

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

Hockey Puck http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=67844&cat=1,41637 :)

Have the cookies as well, they all do well

View Mark Smith's profile

Mark Smith

I just got a set and they work good for routing a rounded edge onto a cutting board. The board didn’t move at all while I went around it with the router.

-- Mark Smith, Tracy, CA., http://www.markscustomwoodcrafts.com

View dnick's profile

dnick

Like them. Use them. Main use has been with the random orbit sander.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

I have a set sitting under my cutting board in the kitchen. Is really helpful when making bread – the board doesn’t slip around the table. .. just another use for these handy-dandy tools.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Alan Robertson's profile

Alan Robertson

Have quite a few of them. Found that comp. mouse pad material is almost an exact match for the manufactured cookies. Used Azak for the cores. Easy to make and all salvage. Hope this idea helps.

-- MrAl

View toolmantim's profile

toolmantim

My girlfriend gave me a new mouse pad in my stocking for Christmas ( the old one was woefully worn out ) thinking the material from it glued to some stock can only supplement my existing bench cookie stash. I’ll keep you guys informed. Thanks Alan !

-- " My favorite Place in Life, The Shop "