Freud LU85 Ultimate Cutoff Blade - an accurate name

Review by Class1E posted 603 days ago 2628 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Freud LU85 Ultimate Cutoff Blade - an accurate name No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this blade to replace the OEM blade on my G0690 table saw. As i was cutting the kerf in my crosscut sled, I noticed that the OEM blade was wobbling very slightly. I decided it was about time to replace that blade with two dedicated blades, one for rip cuts, the other for cross cuts.
This was the blade I purchased for cross cuts. My first use for this blade was to trim the edges on my end-grain cutting board to square it up and remove the rough edges after flattening. I used the blade with my new cross cut sled to provide a perfectly square reference to the blade and zero clearance capability. The blade cut through the 1.25 in thick cutting board like there was nothing there. It even took a very neat 0.01 in thick (yes I measured it, and I’m aware I’m a dork) piece about 11 in long off one side of the cutting board (see picture above). I was very impressed by that! I needed a new book mark anyway. :) I’m very happy with this blade so far, and I expect it will continue to perform this well. I look forward to making more sawdust with it.

-- Brady

View Class1E's profile

Class1E

I fully agree with your review, Freud blades are excellent especially at the price they sale for.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Agree it is a great blade and will serve you well for many years. Mine is so old it has the black teflon coat—my saw sharpener (Ballew Saw & Tool here in Springfield, MO) made fun of how dated it was when I finally took it in to be sharpened last summer. Just be sure to keep it clean and it will continue to cut clean.

View jap's profile

jap

thanks for the review

-- Joel

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

Freud, as what I’ve heard ,is one of the world’s best in manufacturing tools for wood work but I’m not really pleased with their saw blades yet maybe because I’d never tried using one :D . Anyway, thanks for the review .

View Hoosier25's profile

Hoosier25

I noticed there was no zero insert for saw blade in the picture.
You could get an even better cut with one.

-- Roger

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

Freud, Best saw blades and router bits as in sharpest, longest lasting, accurate and price point. No cheap carbide with these guys.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View RussellAP's profile

RussellAP

I’ve got a Freud thin kerf on my TS and it cuts sweet. Very stable blade.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View HorizontalMike's profile

HorizontalMike

I have one of these that I have never used! I have been so happy with the 50T Freud that I have gotten lazy when I need some shear cuts. Good review. I will remember this and get off my butt and put this blade on the TS! Thanks for the review.

-- HorizontalMike -- "Woodpeckers understand..."

I have one that did a fantastic work but the last time I used it, I had chipping.
I wonder why.
May I hit as nail or something.
I looked at it but I could not see anything abnormal.