Dewalt Edge Guide is a Smooth Slider

Review by pintodeluxe posted 11-28-2012 05:51 AM 2541 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt Edge Guide is a Smooth Slider No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a nice edgeguide that will expand the capabilities of your router. The fence is split, so you can slide it open for edge cuts, or keep it closed for inboard cuts. The guide locks down securely, and makes accurate cuts. It comes with everything you need, including knobs with springs to mount the guide to your router. The DW 618 uses the thicker rods, but it comes with some thinner rods for other Dewalt routers. This guide is helpful for cutting strip inlays, fluted columns, dados near the edge of a workpiece, and mortises.
I don’t think you will be dissapointed with this product. My last edgeguide was a pair of aluminum rods with an mdf fence, so it is certainly an upgrade for me.

View rejo55's profile

rejo55

#1 posted 11-28-2012 02:56 PM

Thanks for the post. I have been thinking that I could really use an edge guide, but none of my routers have the holes in the base to install one. Has anyone ever made an auxiliary base plate with holes bored to accept the rods? And if so, how would you go about it?
Have a good’un
Joe

-- rejo55, East Texas

#2 posted 11-28-2012 05:14 PM

Joe,
I think the base plate would flex too much. Have you looked for a router on the used market? Most routers now have holes machined in the base to accept some sort of edgeguide.

View rejo55's profile

rejo55

#3 posted 11-28-2012 07:04 PM

Thanks, Willie. I was thinking about maybe making a base plate out of oak or maple, about 3/8” thick, just the size of the original router base, using longer screws to mount it. Most of the work I do is not very deep, so I don’t think that the extra thickness of the base plate would hinder me.
What do you think?
My problem is that I’m strapped for cash now and Miss Honey Ma’am will be tolerable upset if I run out and buy another one. I have five now, including a brand new Bosch—none of which have the edge guide holes.
Have a good’un
Joe

-- rejo55, East Texas

View TurnTurnTurn's profile

TurnTurnTurn

#4 posted 11-30-2012 02:27 PM

I use this edge guide with a DW618 and it does work nicely, however I have one problem and that is that the DW618 base has one flat edge, so for example when I am routing a finger hold on the bottom of a cutting board, I have to offset my stop blocks or the finger hold will not be centered on the board. I am not sure why they did not design the base with 2 flats sides versus only one.

-- TurnTurnTurn

#5 posted 11-30-2012 04:52 PM

Dewalt does make a router with two flats sides on the base – the DW621. Many users noted that the smaller base of this design made the router less stable on edge cuts. Otherwise it is a well liked router.
To me personally, I would much rather have round bases. If you have ever cut breadboard ends with a flat-sided router, you know what I mean. If the router turns at all, it will sour the cut. With a round base, turning the router has no effect.
Overall, I think they got the 618 right. I just use the round side of the base.