Drive Belt Dampens Vibrations

Review by jockmike2 posted 04-13-2008 09:51 AM 4438 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Drive Belt Dampens Vibrations Drive Belt Dampens Vibrations No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve used this belt on a couple different machines and it does dampen vibration by at least 50%, if not more. It’s really unusual too. It is so simple to take links out or add links to make it longer or shorter, it’s a breeze. It also lasts forever. I’d say it lasts longer than a regular v-belt. I’ve used it on an old lathe and it settled a bouncing lathe down. Also an old table saw I had was vibrating pretty bad and I had done everything I knew to straighten it out without success, then read about these sectional belts. I bought one and it made a believer out of me, It smoothed out this machine and it ran as smooth as silk. mike

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#1 posted 04-13-2008 12:10 PM

Where did you buy the belt from? I might switch out the belts on drill press with them.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

#2 posted 04-13-2008 01:13 PM

The pulley and link belt can be found as a kit at In-Line Industries http://in-lineindustries.com/index.html.

The belts at In-Line run $6.00 per foot and $7.50 at Highland and come in 3/8 and 1/2 inch widths.

I got the pulley and belt kit for my Craftsman saw and it reduced the vibration noticeably. The belt is easy to adjust and installs in minutes.

Thanks for the review Mike. I agree with you that this one is well worth looking into for all the tools with v-belts.

#3 posted 04-13-2008 04:08 PM

I think either Rockler or Woodcraft might also carry them. mike

View Joel Tille's profile

Joel Tille

#4 posted 04-13-2008 04:41 PM

Mike – shortly after I purchased my table saw several years ago, I was not pleased with the amount of vibration I had in it. I purchased one of these sets and like you I have become a true believer. I also changed the belts on my lathes and drill press.

Before the change, anything I had laying on the saw (push sticks, ruler and wood) would eventually walk themselves off the saw. After the change I could start the saw leave it run all night and everthing would still be sitting where it was when the saw was started.

If anyone wants to dramatically reduce vibration, buy the machined pulleys and the power twist belt.

-- Joel Tille

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#5 posted 04-13-2008 04:59 PM

Hi Mike;

I keep hearing about how good these belts are, and haven’t tried them yet. I keep waiting for one of my belts to wear out, but so far they’re no cooperating.

Lee

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#6 posted 04-13-2008 05:33 PM

They do indeed work very well. They have to be making a fortune off of them. You know that they cost them maybe $.20 a foot.

View bobdurnell's profile

bobdurnell

#7 posted 04-13-2008 06:51 PM

I have them on every belt driven machine I have. Tried the first one that I got at a woodworking show and put it on the table saw. Then I ordered enough footage for everything else. A friend of mine was getting alot of vibration from his saw (just like mine) and we experimented. Took a styrofoam cut and filled half with water and turned on the saw. Old belt the little waves were erratic, link belt the waves were concentric. It helped. I know that $6.00 a foot is expensive but they show no signs of wear and I like how adjustable they are, once you get the hang of assembly. I remember buying 3 v-belts of different sizes sometimes to get the right tension, also shimming under the motor etc. I think that they are worth it.

-- bobdurnell, Santa Ana California.

View gator9t9's profile

gator9t9

#8 posted 04-13-2008 07:58 PM

I have this type belt on my Jet Bandsaw and it runs great …I got my bandsaw used from a very good friend ..an it had these POWER TWIST LINK BELTS on it and a spare also inside ….I see them at Woodcraft and Rockler for 7.99 a ft ..kind of expensive …seems like …But i have not had to buy yet …My saw is in great shape cuts nicely and with the riser I can Resaw if i need …
Mike in Bonney lake

-- Mike in Bonney Lake " If you are real real real good your whole life, You 'll be buried in a curly maple coffin when you die."

#9 posted 04-13-2008 09:48 PM

I’ve got 2 of them floating around my shop. I guess I should update the bandsaw because it’s the one that does viberate.

View Blake's profile

Blake

#10 posted 04-13-2008 09:59 PM

I really like these belts. They are a little more expensive but well worth the money.

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View Myron Wooley's profile

Myron Wooley

#11 posted 04-13-2008 11:58 PM

A couple of years ago I stumbled into a 25’ box on ebay. I think I paid about 80 bucks for it. I now have belts on my jointer, bandsaw, drill press, my Dad’s drill press, and his lathe. Great stuff.

-- The days are long and the years are short...

View Freddo's profile

Freddo

#12 posted 04-14-2008 06:25 PM

Hi – All of my machines (table saw, drill press and jointer) have these belts. They’re the best! I HIGHLY recommend them. I noticed the best improvement on my 10” contractor’s saw (though I haven’t replaced the pulley yet).

-- God bless! Freddo (Northern - NJ) Our Creator designed us to create - so use WOOD!

#13 posted 04-15-2008 02:42 PM

Hey guys, you’re preaching to the choir. But Glad to hear I hit a positive note, for a change. LOL mike

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#14 posted 04-15-2008 10:56 PM

The in-lineindustry product with pulley and belt is kinda like going from stock to high performance…your tablesaw will whisle…a well worth investment and a blade saver as well…Blkcherry

View twomartinis's profile

twomartinis

#15 posted 04-16-2008 06:31 AM

I got my link-belt and pulleys from Grizzly. I hot-rodded my 60’s era Craftsman with a 1.5hp Baldor and a double pulley/belt setup – smooth as silk!

DSCN0576

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Power-Twist-V-Belt-5-8-x-4-/G8127 and http://www.grizzly.com/products/Double-V-Groove-Pulley-3-Pitch-Dia-5-8-Bore/G6266

-- http://www.flickr.com/photos/74108677@N00/