good saw great price

Review by americancanuck posted 11-24-2012 10:04 AM 2708 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
good saw great price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Less than a month ago I started into scrolling with an ancient Delta saw I got at a yard sale for $5.00. It only took me about a day to discover 2 things. first I was facinated with scrolling and second I would need a better saw if I was to really do any serious work. So I started researching saws. I found this King Canada saw at a local tool store for $120.00 CAD. I have never been happier. It doesn’t have all the features that a much more expensive saw would have and I had to do a little tweaking to get it to work the way I wanted it to but it does the job and my end product has improved by 1000%. The blades that came with the saw leave a lot to be desired but I have ordered new ones and they should make my projects even better.

View americancanuck's profile

americancanuck

View Mork's profile

Mork

#1 posted 11-24-2012 01:43 PM

I’ll bet your old saw had a spring return on the up stroke. I’ve had a couple of saws like that and they are frustrating blade brakers to say the least! I got one of the better Craftsman saws now. I think I paid $35 at a garage sale but I had to make a throat plate and part of the hold down clamp…. plus I had to order a part. It sounds like you got a good deal. I probably have about $75 and several hours work into mine. Hopefully your saw has the ability to use the blades with the pins in the end. They are way faster to install and more reliable. The “plain end” blades can be nice if you want to install a blade through a saw cut but I never seem to have the need to do this.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#2 posted 11-24-2012 08:10 PM

I have a plain end saw, and I have no issues with dependability of my blades, nor does installation take more than a few seconds. Since I do a lot of pilot hole work, I can’t imagine going back to a pin blade. Either way, this looks like a fairly nice bargain on a good saw!
Congrats!

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View ralbuck's profile (online now)

ralbuck

#3 posted 11-25-2012 11:05 PM

I actually have had saws that used both (Dremel). I now have a DeWalt788—plain end & and a 16” Grizzley—Pin end.

I have cut hickory flooring; making name plates with the plain end saw. The clamps had to be TOO TIGHT or slipped.

Unless you are doing a a lot of real fine cutting in very small cuts; I have found NO ADVANTAGES for the plain end blades! I have been considering a conversion on my DeWalt to the pin type blades. I most likely will do that the next time I ruin another $17+ little piece of aluminum blade jaw!

On this site we do also have some of that breed of “Tool-Snobs”.
If the saw keeps you happy—no one else’s business.

I have only ran scrollsaws since 1953; so have only limited experience, compared to some of the “experts”.

-- just rjR

View riverguy's profile

riverguy

#4 posted 12-06-2012 05:04 PM

Hey Ralbuck! I’m glad to hear that I might possibly not be the oldest guy on this forum! Thanks for the tidbits on plain-end vs. pin-end blades. I’ve been thinking about getting a scroll saw and that’s good info.

-- Skip, Forestville, CA, http://www.sonomastainedglass.com