Grab them while you can! Great deal on import ratchet clamps!

Review by jusfine posted 514 days ago 2336 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grab them while you can! Great deal on import ratchet clamps! Grab them while you can! Great deal on import ratchet clamps! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received an email flyer a week or so ago stating there was a box of ratchet clamps in limited quantities for $39.00 at Lee Valley.

Yesterday I stopped by the store and bought a box of them.

While waiting for the clerk to bring them out so I could see the product, I looked at a Pony ratchet clamp on display and was amazed that the clamps in the box he brought were almost identical.

The only difference is the ratcheting mechanism, the import brand has a notched metal bar that keeps the clamps secure with a locking tab, while the Pony brand uses a system like silicone guns, a square bar with a metal piece angled to keep the tension secure. Maybe that explains it… the import ones are better.

The size, color, black pads, handles, everything except the ratcheting system are identical.

This is a great price for light/medium duty ratchet clamps, and at this price you couldn’t buy 5 of the medium size shown of the Pony brand.

Many times the imports / copies of a product are of lesser quality, in this case, I think it is an improvement on the Pony.

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Thanks for the heads up. This is what you gotta love about LJs and it’s great membership!

View madts's profile

madts

But they are import.

-- Thor and Odin are still the greatest of Gods.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Check all of the things in your house…

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

jusfine

I agree with Paul’s comment, likely the computer, iPad, blackberry, etc you are viewing this forum on is an import as well…

I will support Canadian or US manufactured products where I can, but if the import is of the same or better quality and the price is better, I have to manage my spending to get the best value, and will buy imported tools or accessories for my shop.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Looks like a cool clamp.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

109375 posts in 2080 days

Sorry but all of the clamps I’ve bought with this design are worthless .

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

Thanks for the review – was wondering about these.

But I’m kind of with Jim on this – I have a bunch of these types of clamps and they never get used over small bar clamps. Maybe I’m missing something…what do you all use them for?

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View GlennsGrandson's profile

GlennsGrandson

Agree with Jim, I rarely use the ones that I have. I just picked up 4 Irwin 12” bar clamps from HD today for $20. Love ‘em.

Thanks for the heads up though.

-- Grant - S/N Dakota

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

I have 4 of the “Pony” brand ones, handy for all sorts of grab it jobs,
hold this while I do whatever..

Oh..and the Ponies..they’re made in Taiwan..despite the “manufacturer ”
being a U.S.A. company.

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

jusfine

Glen, that could explain the similarities perhaps, I believe these were made in Taiwan as well.

I use mine to attach auxillary fences or stop blocks to drill press, router table etc or sometimes to glue small pieces of hardwood together, they work well for that.

Sorry to hear your clamps are worthless Jim… :)