Veritas Bevel Up Jointer Plane

Review by jasondain posted 645 days ago 4604 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Bevel Up Jointer Plane Veritas Bevel Up Jointer Plane No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Over the past month or so, I have been working on a Benchcrafted Split Top Roubo workbench (more on that in later posts). At this point, I’m in the home stretch flattening the top and I had bought this plane in anticipation of using it for flattening the top of the bench once it was ready. I have built other projects in the past where I could have used this but used my Bevel-up smoother for the task instead (I know, not technically for the purpose but it worked fine). I spent a few hours last night working with the plane and I am so impressed with it that I wanted to post my first review. I’ll review the plane itself and the PM-V11 blade I purchased with it.

As far as using the plane goes, the mass it has makes it great to work with. My bench is hard maple and the plane had no problem taking shavings that were 2 to 3 feet long once I had the initial flattening completed. The mouth adjustment was easy to use as were the set screws to keep the blade aligned. The adjust worked well for setting the blade angle although I find using a bit difficult with the blade tight in the plane body. I’ve seen different posts about the uncomfortable totes and I don’t find the plane uncomfortable to use at all but that is a personal thing.

When I went to purchase the plane, I was ready to go with A1 as usual but decided to give the PM-V11 a try as it was new and was not much more of an upgrade. I decided to go with the 38 degree bevel instead of the 25 degree that it normally comes with as I won’t be doing much end-grain and like the higher angles. I will get a 50 degree blade when I need this for a large smoothing project in the future. The blade was sharp and flat out of the box and I touched it up with my 10,000 grit waterstone before using it. I really like the combination of edge durability and ease of sharpening that this steel brings and feel it is easier to sharpen and lasts longer than my A1 blades. The blade on this thing is absolutely massive at over 2 inches wide and almost a quarter of an inch thick!

All in all, this plane is a great addition to my workshop and think it is a great product produced by a great company. Thanks Lee Valley and Veritas!

View rdwile's profile

rdwile

Good review Jason, this looks like the ideal plane for that job. Need to try one of those PM-V11 blades for my smoother.

-- Richard D. Wile, http://richard-wile.blogspot.ca/

View Arminius's profile

Arminius

Do you have a bevel-down jointer? I have been wondering how the two compare.

View JohnChung's profile

JohnChung

This plane would complete my collection :) Did you get the fence with the plane? If so, is it square when installed with the plane itself?

jasondain

I did get the fence for the plane and it comes with adjustments to allow you to square it to the sole of the plane. I have used the fence and it works quite well. You need to alter your normal motion of the plane to register the fence on the side of the wood properly or you won’t get the desired result.

I don’t have a bevel down jointer to compare to. I have had great success with the bevel up planes and have had limited experience with the bevel down variety (some might even claim I’m a bevel up bigot!). I have made a bevel up plane out of wood that works quite well but find the chipbreaker is an additional thingt to fiddle with and like the simplicity of the bevel up design.

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

I posted a review of this plane, and my main complaint was the uncomfortable tote. Well, I got used to it, and now, it is no longer uncomfortable. I use this plane a lot and I really like this plane now.

I also bought the fence, but I find I no longer use it. The problem with the fence is that it does not keep it’s angle because the adjustment screw is very loose. Nowadays, I have my blade slightly cambered, and use the cambered blade to square up the edge. This method is extremely easy to learn and does not require any setup.

One problem I’ve had with the plane is that when I take the blade out to sharpen it, the side-to-side adjuster also comes out, and if I’m not careful, it will fall on the floor. Once, it fell into my trash can, which was full of shavings! I had to empty the trash back onto the floor in order to find it! I believe this issue has been addressed in some of their newer planes.

There isn’t much difference between bevel up and bevel down. A lot of people prefer the look of the bevel down planes. The bevel down plane’s depth of cut can be adjusted while taking a cut, making it easier to put back into action after a sharpening. I’m just a hobbyist, and I don’t really notice any real difference though.

-- Charles from California

View Don W's profile

Don W

nice review.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

Thanks for the review! I’ve been thinking about reuniting this big fella to his two smaller siblings for a bench build. Do you have a LAJ?

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

jasondain

No, I don’t have the Low Angle Jack. I have the low angle block plane, smoother and jointer all from Veritas. I built this bevel down jack a while back and it works quite well so I’ll use it as my Jack and redirect the $$ somewhere else.