Craftsman C3 19.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Compact Drill DD2100 - Review

Review by Daris posted 11-20-2012 03:37 PM 9696 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman C3 19.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Compact Drill DD2100 - Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Craftsman 935704 Heavy Duty Drill Kit

I recently purchased a new Craftsman Power Drill DD2100 from Sears.  I’ve been using it for about three weeks now and I have to say so far, I have NO complaints.  In fact I think it’s as solid a drill as I’ve ever used.  The drill came as part of a kit, and I was able to pick it up for $109 (on sale) from Sears.  For the price I think it’s a great bargain.  I was able to replace my old 19.2 cadmium battery-powered drill with a new high-end one for about $100, and since it is part of the Sears C3 line of tools the batteries are interchangeable with other C3 tools.  It also comes with a charger that will still charge my old battery packs. If you want to see more pics / information check out my other entry at: http://www.woodlogger.com/2012/11/craftsman-power-drill-dd2100-review/

The drill was actually purchased as part of a kit (model# 935704).  The kit includes the following items:

• DD2100 Heavy Duty Drill/Driver
  • CH2030 Multi-Chemistry Charger
  • PP2020 XCP 19.2-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
  • 2 Double Ended Screwdriver Bits
  • Tool Bag
  • Operator’s Manuals

If you’ve read any of my other reviews of Craftsman product then you already know that I have mixed feeling about Craftsman tools.  Craftsman hand tools are hands down the best in the world.  No one beats them, and the warranty they offer.  Power tools on the other hand are a different story.  I think as a general rule high-end Craftsman power tools are usually pretty solid, but if you get the low-end or middle models of a craftsman power tool it’s a bit of a gamble.

Craftsman DD2100 Heavy Duty Drill Driver

The first thing I have to say about the new drill is the size and weight is a big improvement over my old drill.  It’s more compact making it easier to use in tight spaces.  The handle and grip is also wrapped with a soft rubber grip.  Another plus is it just feels more powerful when I’m using it.  The manual states that the new battery technology XCP gives the drill 10% more torque than other lithium batteries.  I’m not sure if it’s the battery, or the fact that my old drill was 12 years old.  Either way it’s a more powerful drill which is always a good thing.  Here is some basic info about the drill:

• Two variable speed gear box with ranges 0-375 / 0-1,600 RPM
  • 19.2 volt compatible lithium-ion battery
  • Built-in LED Work light
  • 1 year warranty

Craftsman PP2020 XCP 19.2-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Battery Pack

The new battery technology XCP is supposed to give your 19.2 tools more torque.  More power is almost always a good thing.  Another nice thing is the light that shows you when your battery is getting low.  It switches green to yellow to red to alert you how much energy is left.  Here are some of the features listed about the battery:

• Up to 35% more run time
  • Up to 10% more torque
  • Extreme Weather Performance (Operates in temperatures from 5° to 158° F)
  • Energy indicator light on battery

Craftsman CH2030 Multi-Chemistry Charger

The new charger that is included as part of the kit is also solid.  I’ve used it to charge three different types of batteries.  It’s designed for the 19.2 battery line and it’s really nice that it can handle all the flavors of that voltage.  It has light indicators to tell you what type of battery is being charged and what the status of the battery is.

Overall I really like the entire kit that Sears has put together.  The drill, battery, and charger all seem solid, and they even throw in a storage bag to keep it all in.  The drill feels lite, but strong and I believe will last for many years.  I think if you’re a casual woodworker like me, then this is probably a good fit for you. If you want more information than check out my entry over at: http://www.woodlogger.com/2012/11/craftsman-power-drill-dd2100-review/

-- Daris, Indianapolis, http://www.woodlogger.com

View Daris's profile

Daris

View AJswoodshop's profile

AJswoodshop

#1 posted 11-20-2012 07:58 PM

Nice review! I’ve heard that this is a nice drill. Good to see that you got one!

-- If I can do it.....so can you! -AJswoodshop

View Willardz's profile

Willardz

#2 posted 11-21-2012 06:15 AM

I’ve had my craftsman 19.2 drill for 5 years now. I had to replace only 1 of the 2 original batteries. I do not use it every day, but it is my main go to drill.

-- I have Carrie, food, shelter, and wood to turn. What else do I need? http://www.willardwoodworking.com

View Richard Dunlap's profile

Richard Dunlap

#3 posted 11-22-2012 03:58 PM

Several years ago I purchased a Craftsman 12v cordldess drill. The drill itself is fine but the charger is a POS! The one that came with the drill lasted about a dozen charging cycles before crapping out. Ordered a replacement it lasted 5 charging cycles before dying. I will never ever purchase any cordless tool from Sears.

View jm8's profile

jm8

#4 posted 11-23-2012 09:08 PM

I have had the 19.2 V compact drill for a few years now, and I have been very pleased with it. Plenty of torque for my needs, and it holds small drill bits well. It’s a decent drill at a decent price.

-- Joe from Western Ma.... Peace to all

View Ray's profile

Ray

#5 posted 12-01-2012 05:22 AM

I recently purchased this drill and I could not believe the the low cost of a extended warranty that even covers breakage by stupidity.

-- Creating less fire wood every day

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

#6 posted 01-24-2013 07:31 PM

I have been vested in the 19.2 line for 10+ years. I know have 6 drills, 1 hammer drill, 1 sawzall, a 5 3/8” saw, 7 1/4 saw, 2-1/4” impacts, a dust buster, a radio, 3 LIO bats, and finally a dozen+ nicad bats 4reg and 3LIO chargers.

That being said this is a collection over many years, 2 of the drills have bad triggers (saved for parts)but thats it. I have abused most of these tools extensively in a daily setting trimming stairs, and setting tons of cabinets. they are hands down the best drill on the market FOR THE MONEY.

the best part is the cost of the batteries if you watch of sales I have found them as cheep as 25$ new at sears, but normally I just get a new tool on black friday cause if you figure the cost of 2 bats 1 charger alone you can find it with a drill for the same or less usually. plus they are on sale all the time

View TrlVT's profile

TrlVT

#7 posted 02-28-2014 06:54 PM

I thought I’d posted this before but can not find it. I’ve done a bit of homework on these 14.4-19.2V “Nicad” or “LiOn” chargers. They appear to have three sensing circuits: V, I, and T. From numerous experiments with my 19.2V NiCads (replaced after the first dump charger cooked them), I’ve found no problem charging them, from full, or nearly full charge, to totally discharged. HOWERVER, THE CHARGER FAILS TO ANALYZE THE BATTERY INSERTED, PROPERLY, IF IT IS STILL WARM, AT ALL!!! After numerous tests, failures and successes, the only success I’ve had has been to make sure the battery is cool to the touch before inserting in the charger. So far, I’ve gone a week with two batteries in two of these chargers. They are holding their charge (float, trickle, ? the spec.’s don’t say). Advise – Make sure the battery is cool to the touch before attempting to re-charge or just keep charged in the charger. Just my 2 cents.