DeWalt DW735 Heavy-Duty 13" Three Knife, Two Speed Thickness Planer

Review by tooldad posted 04-10-2008 05:58 AM 31619 views 2 times favorited 44 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt DW735 Heavy-Duty 13" Three Knife, Two Speed Thickness Planer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had the opportunity to use about 4 different planers. I owned a Ryobi 12.5” for about a year and returned it because rollers wouldn’t work, They bought a Ridgid and it lasted about 3 months, same problem (Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee are same corp) Finally I bucked up and bought Dewalt after seeing this at the wood show. However I am not the average weekend woodworker being a shop teacher so minimum duty tools just dont’ cut it for me. I also had a Delta 12.5” in a school shop I previously worked in. Not too bad, I think it was $300 when I ordered it. In fact except for the Dewalt, all the planers were $250-$350.

However I would spend a little more and go with the Dewalt 735. (I think that is the number) It is the one with the 4 posts, so a cutterhead lock is not needed, has repeat thickness setting, 2 speed feed control and easy to change indexed 3 cutterhead blade system. I have changed blades at least 6 times in the 3 years I have had the machine, it can be done in about 10 minutes. The entire top lifts off and you look down from the top since the motor is behind the cutterhead. This is the only planer I have changed blades on and not cut my finger in the process. Beware to anyone changing planer blades, they are as sharp as a surgeon’s knife and you will be bleeding before you even know you are cut. At least it doesn’t hurt that way. Finally the planer has a chip ejection fan/blower. That thing can inflate my dust collector and it has to travel through 6 feet of 4” flex hose, 6 feet of 6” pipe, and finally through about 12 feet of 8” pipe to get there.

Dewalt and Delta have merged and even the tool rep for my school who can sell me either and was first a delta rep says the dewalt is the way to go and that machine would stand up even in the school shop environment.

I have sent at least 4 complete kitchen rebuilds through my planer, and dozens of other personal projects. Lumber from Pine and cedar to maple, oak, ash, and cherry.

The only drawbacks are the cost at nearly $500, and the weight, it is about 75lbs. Not really too portable. I do remember reading in one of the magazines it rec’d top tool, but not top value for the same 2 reasons I just listed.

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

View Obi's profile

Obi

#1 posted 04-10-2008 12:33 PM

I own this planer. Have owned it for over 2 years and from the big box store, this is the best one available. 3 knives and plenty of power… almost too much. It’s has so much power blowing the sawdust out, it blows out faster than my dust collection system can suck, so it blows the hose off the exhaust port.

Must need a bigger dust collection system for this item.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#2 posted 04-10-2008 01:29 PM

Good review! I am interested in buying this planer but I have read allot of reviews on Amazon and elsewhere that say the blades dull too quickly. Do any of you guys that own this planer find that to be true? I think allot of the people dulling the knives too quick are probably trying to hog off too much material at a time. Tool King has a great package deal…this planer, the matching stand, infeed and outfeed tables and an extra set of knives. http://www.toolking.com/dewalt_dw735pk1.aspx

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Ad Marketing Guy - Bill's profile

Ad Marketing Guy - Bill

#3 posted 04-10-2008 01:54 PM

Noting your concerns on the DW735, you may want to consider the DW734. I purchased this system after strongly considering the 735 – have not looked back since. The primary difference is size, but if you can live with the size restraints, you and your pocketbook will be much happier.

Good Luck

-- Bill - - Ad-Marketing Guy, Ramsey NJ

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

#4 posted 04-10-2008 04:27 PM

Thanks for all the info. That’s really one of the great aspects of this site. It’s such a good resource supported by “hands-on” people instead of marketers.

I believe this would be what I’d own if my budget permitted…and not just because it appears to work well.
I mean, just look at it…it’s soooo cool (it’s yellow, for pete’s sake). It just screams “I’m the baddest woodworker in the neighborhood”.

I actually remember at the store as I walked past it, hearing it call out to me…”come back, Tom, you know you need me…”

Tools can do that, you know… -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View odie's profile

odie

#5 posted 04-10-2008 05:25 PM

Thanks Tooldad, this is the one I have been wanting for a while. You have helped me with that discission.

-- Odie, Confucius say, "He who laughs at one's self is BUTT of joke". http://woodstermangotwood.blogspot.com/ (my funny blog)

View Thos. Angle's profile

Thos. Angle

#6 posted 04-10-2008 06:26 PM

I’ve had mine for over 2 years and about 2500 B/F of all kinds of lumber. Keep the floor and rollers clean and don’t take too much at a time. I don’t think the knives go dull too fast but they do go dull and need to be turned. The tee- wrench with the magnet on the handle keeps you from cutting your fingers while changing the knives. It ain’t the fastest but it sure does the smoothest job of planing.

-- Thos. Angle, Jordan Valley, Oregon

View bhack's profile

bhack

#7 posted 04-10-2008 06:55 PM

Had mine 3 years, Love it. plenty power and knife change very easy.

Bill

-- Bill - If I knew GRANDKIDS were so much fun I would have had them first.

View Blake's profile

Blake

#8 posted 04-10-2008 08:30 PM

I have this same planer and it is phenomenal.

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2422 days

#9 posted 04-10-2008 09:21 PM

I broke down and purchased the dw735 a while back. I got a killer deal on it (but that’s a different story). It’s done a great job for me. Once while using it I noticed the boards were going side-ways a little and not going through the planer like they should. I raised the top up and took a look at the rollers. They didn’t seem that dirty, but I wiped them off with only a dry cloth. I haven’t had any trouble since then. It’s a great machine.

View jeffthewoodwacker's profile

jeffthewoodwacker

#10 posted 04-11-2008 02:31 AM

I have run almost 10,000 board feet of various woods through my Delta 735 and am still on the first set of blades. If you maintain the machine, use a dust collector and keep thing clean should run great. In addition I run my magnet over every piece of wood before it goes in to check for metal pieces. You would be amazed at how many nails, chain links and other assorted pieces of stuff I have found. One of those makes for a bad day with any planer.

-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

View Garry's profile

Garry

#11 posted 04-11-2008 04:00 PM

I wish I had the same luck as most of you have had. Most of the time the first couple of hardwood boards(without Knots) through knic the knives. I have bad snipe on the left side of the outfeed if running 6 inch or less width boards.
I have had to replace the shroud over the kinives because of the chipout at the end of a board. The thin plastic tabs on the shroud break easily.
Biggest gripe is the brittle knives.

-- Garry, Engadine, Michigan (Upper Peninsula)

View SteveM's profile

SteveM

#12 posted 04-12-2008 05:17 AM

Add me to the list of people happy with their purchase.

View Freddo's profile

Freddo

#13 posted 04-12-2008 07:39 AM

This may be hard to believe but I purchased one in late Oct. 2003 and just built a cabinet to mount it on and started using it last month (2008). The reason?...time! It sat under a moving blanket behind my jointer for all that time after trying it out once or twice and realizing I needed to control the output of chips (they’re nicely blown out of this unit). Anyway, out of the box, it setup fast. It’s a SWEET unit and I highly recommend it. A bit pricey but well worth it I feel – the best rating of all available in its class at that time of purchase and now I know why. Very smooth cutting and great chip ejection. I have the extension tables and the hose accessory for getting all those chips that “shoot” out into the right container instead of the shop floor and just about everywhere else. I love it and look forward to planning a bunch of black walnut I’ve got waiting…

-- God bless! Freddo (Northern - NJ) Our Creator designed us to create - so use WOOD!

View BarryW's profile

BarryW

#14 posted 04-12-2008 08:15 AM

I right there with you…good unit…lots of power…works as promised and provides a superb cut. Extension tables good…though even with those there is a little snipe…but that can be cured with length additions to the sides of the piece you’re planing…I may have knicked a blade meaning I have a little line showing up on my wood after going through the planer…it may have come from a bad piece of wood I planed. Make certain your wood is brushed off and no little rocks stuck to it. Blades are easily replaced and double sided as well…so there isn’t a problem getting a “smooth shave” so to speak.

-- /\/\/\ BarryW /\/\/\ Stay so busy you don't have time to die.

View flink's profile

flink

#15 posted 04-14-2008 01:36 PM

I finally unpacked mine! I’m hoping to start using it next weekend.

-- Made lots of sawdust and pounded some nails. Haven't finished anything, though.