Buyer Beware!

Review by cstrang posted 11-16-2012 09:02 PM 3434 views 0 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Buyer Beware! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this at Home Depot about a year ago and so far it’s been nothing but trouble! I wanted a stapler and I think this was on sale for $110.00 at the time. It was a brad nailer as well, but the stapler was the reason I purchased it as I already own a brad nailer. I didn’t use it as soon as I got it home as I was busy with other things and I guess that was my mistake, if I had of used it there and then it would have been back to the store immediately.

It was a little over a month later when I finally tested it out and I was less than pleased; with brad nails it leaves a crater sized hole, which isn’t a big deal for me as I have another brad nailer of a different brand I use regularly. My main issue was with the staples. In order to get the staples in you have to crack the magazine in half because the full one wont fit past the trigger and it wont sink a 1” staple flush into anything, be it melamine, plywood or even pine! I have a 60 gallon compressor, I usually run my pneumatic nailers at 100 psi, I cranked it up to 120 psi and still no change with the safety adjusted all the way up and the rubber protector off.

This is the first Bostitch product that I have bought and it has left a sour taste in my mouth. It wasn’t as if this tool was a cheap brand or anything, I would expect lessor quality with some of the knock off tool companies. A friend of mine has a Ridgid stapler that works like a charm, for 25 bucks more I could of had that, oh well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Sorry if I ranted a bit there, needed to get $110.00 of unhappy off my chest! lol

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

View Mark Smith's profile

Mark Smith

#1 posted 11-16-2012 09:08 PM

Why didn’t you take it back when you found the problem? Home Depot is pretty good about things like that. Do the instructions say it is supposed to be able to drive a 1” staple all the way into wood? I have a couple of cheaper model staplers and brad nailers myself and they work just like they are supposed to. I don’t think I have a Bostitch anyplace. I bet it’s still not too late to take it back to Home Depot right now. It may take manager approval but explain to the manager what you just explained on here. My guess is they’ll exchange it for you without much grief at all. Probably won’t give you a cash refund, but I think they would exchange it. Let us know how it works out.

-- Mark Smith, Tracy, CA., http://www.markscustomwoodcrafts.com

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#2 posted 11-16-2012 09:10 PM

Can’t say I completely disagree. I too purchased this same combo nailer/stapler on clearance. However my shop classes 100+ students use it on a weekly if not semi-daily basis from September to May. We have had no problems. We only use it as a stapler for 5/8, 3/4” and 1” staples in the back of luan, 1/4” oak ply and occasionally 1/2” plywood.

yes I too agree that you have to break the clips to get them to fit, but a full clip regardless of manufacturer will fit. If you buy the bostich staples they do fit if I recall, however I buy whatever is on the shelf due to convenience.

sorry to hear about your bad experience, I will keep your warnings in mind.

#3 posted 11-16-2012 09:18 PM

It’s supposed to be able to sink up to 1 1/2” staples, never even bothered trying that out. As for returning it, I had lost the receipt so I didn’t bother but maybe Ill take a spin by home depot the weekend, im always looking for an excuse to enter a hardware store lol.

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

#4 posted 11-16-2012 10:15 PM

I always toss my receipts… Lowes & HD are great about returns if you have the original credit card. Big Brother is watching, they keep track of all your purchases for years if not forever these days. Trivial recieptless returns for credit card purchases is one of the few direct benifits to the customer for the privacy invasion.

View Mark Smith's profile

Mark Smith

#5 posted 11-16-2012 11:14 PM

I bought one of those cheapy Coleman generators once from Orchard Supply. I didn’t use it for about 3 months. When I finally did use it saw it was leaking oil. The warranty said you had to take it back to one of their approved repair facilities to have it fixed. There was one not too far from me so I put it on my to-do list and promptly forgot to do it. About a year after the purchase I finaly decided to take it to the repair facility. I explained to the guy I really never used it. He called me back the next day and told me the case was cracked and it would need a new engine and it wasn’t covered by warranty since it looked like the thing had been dropped. Well I never dropped it, I had never even used it. The location of the crack looked to me like it had been damaged before it was ever assembled. Anyway the guy said Coleman wouldn’t cover it.

So I figured what the heck and went back to Orchard Supply. I figured I’d have to deal with the manager so I went straight to him. Told him I lost my receipt and explained the story to him and he took the thing back. He even gave me a cash refund on it because I told him about when I bought it and what I thought I paid for it and he was able to confirm that was the price at the time. They didn’t stock that generator anymore.

The moral of the story is it doesn’t hurt to try.

-- Mark Smith, Tracy, CA., http://www.markscustomwoodcrafts.com

View Howie's profile

Howie

#6 posted 11-16-2012 11:16 PM

I bought my stapler at HF. Use it all the time and no problems…..$19.99 less 20%
On the plus side, I have a Bostich pin nailer and it works great too.

-- Life is good.

View jim C's profile

jim C

#7 posted 11-16-2012 11:22 PM

Back to wether Bostitch produces good products, they have been in business for a long, long time, making heavy duty products.
I have their pin nailer and am very happy with it’s performance.
You got a dud. Take it back to H.D. and get a refund or replacement. If you exchange it for the same stapler, and results are still unsatisfactory, then I would write a 1 star review. I think you’re too fast on the trigger knocking them.

#8 posted 11-16-2012 11:31 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. Don’t give up on Bostitch though. I have the 1855k 18 gauge / 2 inch brad nailer. It is so lightweight, and has oil-free and anti dry-fire features. I much prefer it over my P.C. nailer.
Sounds like yours came with a defective plunger or bad O ring.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#9 posted 11-17-2012 02:15 PM

You can always take it back and get another one.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View americanwoodworker's profile

americanwoodworker

#10 posted 11-17-2012 02:43 PM

You had to have gotten a bad one. I bought the compressor combo last year and it came with that gun. I have yet to experience one problem with any of it. Actually, I am so impressed by what I have that I was thinking about buying a pin nailer next.

-- Your freedom to be you, includes my freedom to be free from you.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#11 posted 11-17-2012 02:46 PM

Contact Bostitch and maybe they will help you out.

View cutmantom's profile

cutmantom

#12 posted 11-17-2012 03:53 PM

if HD won’t help you then try bostich

#13 posted 11-17-2012 04:01 PM

Depth adj is all the way up and I even took off the rubber on the end of the safety/depth stop which gives you a couple more mm. Talked to a manager at Home Depot and there is nothing they could do, I even found the old receipt, tore the house apart for it lol, he directed me to the tool repair shop near me and in order to get it repaired if it is defective it would cost me because I purchased it so long ago, guess I’m stuck with it, oh well, I see a new one in my future and it won’t be bostitich.

View Josh's profile

Josh

#14 posted 11-17-2012 09:31 PM

I have the same gun and I agree with everything you said. The piece of metal that drives the staples also drives the pin nails. Leaves a horrible hole behind. When i bought this I also bought a trim gun made by Bostitch and that gun works a lot better.

View Luke's profile

Luke

541 posts in 2042 days

#15 posted 11-17-2012 10:37 PM

I have a bostitch stapler, 18 gauge brad nailer and their pin nailer. I’ve never had a problem with any of them in close to 8 years. I didn’t know they sold a combo stapler/ nailer. Sounds like you got a dud. Sry

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com