bosch router 1617evs router

Review by yrob posted 656 days ago 4587 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
bosch router 1617evs router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently acquired a Bosch router, the variable speed 2 1/4 hp 1617. It is day and night compared to my old Ryobi. First, it comes in a massive blue case with ample room for the router motor, fixed base and plunge base as well as accessories. It comes with the 1/4 and 1/2” collets, a set of wrenches, a manual and a special wrench to adjust the plunge base from above the table.

You can adjust the speed from 8000 to 25000 rpm by turning a dial. It is also variable speed and will ease into the cut. I used it on plywood and hardwood (maple, hickory and walnut) with straight bits and a roundover (3/8”). I was bracing for the impact as I turned it on to take the cut on the walnut with the roundover bit but the variable speed made it feel like i was not cutting. no vibration whatsoever. Its is relatively quiet, also you should probably wear ear protection anyway. Adjusting the depth of cut on the fixed base is very easy. It has a coarse which allow you to jump 1/2” at a time and a fine dial which is a knob graduated to 1/64”. Changing bits is easy. Changing the collet is equally simple. It is a three jaws collet and it grips the bits very well.

I have not yet installed it in a table (I have to build the said table…). So far, however the hand held performance is really good.

-- Yves

View yrob's profile

yrob

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Thank you for the review. I agree, the fixed base Bosch 1617 EVS is my favorite router for use with the Leigh dovetail jig. I’ve had mine since they came out in the 90s without any trouble or problems.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

I have this kit, and love it. It stays in my table most of the time (I don’t often plunge cut) but it’s fantastic using either base. My one complaint is that it’s somewhat difficult to remove from the fixed base because the sleeve on the base grips the router a bit too snugly.

View cso's profile

cso

I’ve had this for about 3 years…great router both for table use, free hand, plunging, etc. It’s weakness is alluded to by felkadelic….moving it out of the table to use it is a pain. Also, above the table bit changes are not possible and can be a pain. You can, however adjust the bit height above the table which is nice. I’m looking to get a Triton 3 1/4 hp to put permanently in the table as it is more powerful, you can change bits above the table and can also adjust above the table. Just waiting for a sale….priced pretty much everywhere at $289.

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

I have the Craftsman clone of this kit. Use it hand held 100% of the time and it is a fine piece of machinery.

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View Uncle_Salty's profile

Uncle_Salty

I have had this router combo for 10 years and it is a great set. I went to a garage sale about 6 months after I bought my set and there was a Bosch router in a box of stuff. I bought it for $5. Took it home and motor didn’t work… but now I have an extra fixed base: one in the router, and one go match the plunge router!

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I too have this router kit, and I also have the one with the wooden handles in my router table.
Only complaint: my locking mechanism for removing a bit, the button holder cracked, as it is a cheap zinc type metal.
Other than that, this thing has done some serious routing out, all the chambers in the 50 or so guitars I have built, and multiple edges. Great router.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View SnowFrog's profile

SnowFrog

I also have this router and I am very happy with it. If I had one thing I would have like is bit changing above the table but that is a minor issue for me.

The power switch did die on mine but Bosch change it at no cost.

-- One can dream, about a passion not yet fully fulfilled!

View Jonathan's profile

Jonathan

I’ve also got this setup. It was my first router. I did quite a bit of research before buying it, and have been happy with it ever since. It doesn’t have the power of my larger Triton, but then again, the Bosch is so much lighter and easier to handle when doing freehand work. And I love the way the fixed base feels in my hands. I bought the Triton to go into a table, which is where it’ll be going sometime soon.

-- Jonathan, Denver, CO "Constructive criticism is welcome and valued as it gives me new perspectives and helps me to advance as a woodworker."

Nice review I have been looking at this one for a while. My Triton stays in my table 100% of the time. I have 2 other routers but have been looking for a smaller one like this. Thx for the info.

View JSilverman's profile

JSilverman

I have had this router for several years- my other 3hp Bosch stays in the table and I use this one for hand-held work. It is great in either base. easy to see the cut- although I sometimes wish it had LED lights shining down at the cut like some of the new little routers have.

View walden's profile

walden

Great review! I have been thinking about getting this kit. I do all my woodworking with hand tools, but am lacking in the molding creation department. A set of hollows and rounds is just too far out of my price range for the little bit of molding work I do. I think this could be a good way to go.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a brand of router bits?

-- "When and if the day comes a lion is on my roof, I am hiring a realtor." ShaneA

112016 posts in 2210 days