Review of my Porter Cable 15" Drill Press

Review by thewoodworker01 posted 11-10-2012 07:34 PM 16547 views 2 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of my Porter Cable 15" Drill Press Review of my Porter Cable 15" Drill Press Review of my Porter Cable 15" Drill Press Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last year I bough the Porter Cable Drill Press at Lowe’s. I searched around for other drill presses but this one surpassed them all. For the price you can’t beat it!!! A couple features that I really like about this drill press is the 1 HP motor, 12 different speeds ranging from 300 to 3100, floor type, a full 4 inches of spindle travel, and made out of metal. Most other drill presses are made out of cheap plastic, but this one has a metal pulley cover! Unpacking this beast wasn’t hard, but I highly recommend you need two people to lift up the head of the drill press on the column. Instructions were clear. This drill press has a lot of milling grease on it. Probably to keep the metal from rusting. The box had soaked up some of the grease, but that was ok. I still have to adjust my lasers so they align properly, but I don’t use them that often. Mainly because I just drop the chuck and the drill bit down to the wood and line it up from there. This drill press is very well made. I am very pleased, I would definatly buy another in a heartbeat, but I highly doubt I will ever need to do that. This makes a great first drill press. This is my first drill press and probably my last!! I wish I could rate this drill press a 6 out of 5 stars!!!!

I have a video of this drill press on Youtube

-- Most people say "Measure Twice, Cut Once." I say, "Cut Twice, Measure Once".

View thewoodworker01's profile

View BerBer5985's profile

#1 posted 11-10-2012 08:40 PM

Awesome review. I’ve been in the market for a stand up drill press because I find the benchtop model I have lacks power and is usually under a bench not hookup and it doesn’t get used when it should because of it. Maybe have to throw that one on the christmas list this year. thanks for the review!

-- Greg, Owner, Quality Carpet One,

View NiteWalker's profile

#2 posted 11-10-2012 08:53 PM

You did good, that’s a great press and probably the best value on a floor press at the moment.

However, I don’t think it’s 1HP at 8 amps; more like 1/2 HP. Is there a rating on the motor itself?

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View harrywho's profile

#3 posted 11-10-2012 10:44 PM

Nice review. I’m glad you like it-I’m picking mine up at Lowe’s tomarrow!

-- Harry, Indiana

View felkadelic's profile

#4 posted 11-10-2012 10:46 PM

I have one also that I generally like (the vertical table movement isn’t quite as smooth as I’d like). Upgrading the table made a huge difference in the usability of the machine.

View runswithscissors's profile

#5 posted 11-11-2012 06:53 AM

I’ve had my PC drill press for a couple of years now. I replaced the geared chuck with a Grizzly keyless chuck. Saves a lot of hassle, looking for the chuck, etc. I think you can actually get a keyless tighter than a geared one. But I have a lot of runout. I realize some of this may be due to the chuck, but I suspect the drill press is also at fault.

View ellen35's profile

#6 posted 11-11-2012 11:32 AM

i also bought one a couple of years ago… it is a workhorse and I’ve never had a problem with it.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View shelly_b's profile

#7 posted 11-11-2012 08:28 PM

I have had mine for a few months and love it! I havent found anything it cant handle. I can use a 1in forstner in hard wood and you would think i was using an 1/8 in bit. I couldnt beleive how much easier it was after only using hand drills!

#8 posted 11-12-2012 02:56 AM

Your video link doesn’t work.

View WoodIfIcould's profile

#9 posted 11-12-2012 05:31 AM

I have had this drill press for about 6 months…it replaced my vintage bench top model. It has performed nicely to date. I did make a table for it – as the table it comes with is pretty small and geared more for metal work IMO.
I recommend it as well. I’ll try and post the table in projects as the clamping system I ended up using has worked out very well (owners of this unit know that the table has no ‘through’ holes in it).

-- Tim, IL

View vernonator's profile

#10 posted 11-13-2012 02:53 PM

I have this press as well – for about 18 mos now and it is rock solid. No run out to speak of, only complaint is the tiny table but a Woodpecker table fixed that up quickly. Good item for a good price – can’t go wrong

View Jason™'s profile

#11 posted 11-14-2012 09:21 AM

How ironic I recently purchased this same unit online and brought it home on the 12th and am loving this unit already. The only issue I am having is the lid rattles due to possibly being slightly bent or some reason. Possibly adding some silicone or something to the under part of the lid might help with the sheet metal rattle sound.

Has anyone changed the Vbelts over to the more talked about Link belts that are supposedly better?

View troyd1976's profile

#12 posted 12-16-2012 11:23 PM

Did lowes stop carrying this saw? ive noticed my local no longer has it nor the PC band saw.

View newbirdhunter's profile

#13 posted 04-29-2013 12:54 PM

Thanks for the review. Your YouTube video was also very helpful.

View 303Woodwork's profile

#14 posted 07-20-2013 09:42 AM

Nice review and very helpful video.
There’s a lot of potential candidate presses to chose from and drill press reviews like this are a great help.

-- Gotta love woodworking!

View TheFridge's profile

#15 posted 02-10-2015 03:31 AM

Drill press still doing good? Thinking about getting one.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.