Review of the Porter Cable 8" Grinder

Review by thewoodworker01 posted 11-10-2012 07:16 PM 3533 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of the Porter Cable 8" Grinder Review of the Porter Cable 8" Grinder Review of the Porter Cable 8" Grinder Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently I just bought a grinder for the workshop to sharpen my lathe tools. I looked at other grinders and I could really only find a couple grinders with variable speed. This one has variable speed from 2000-3400 rpms. It is a great grinder. I have heard a lot of other people say that this grinder is junk. It isn’t. I have heard people saying that the motor turned over two times and it died. This hasn’t happened to me; I asked the salesman at Lowe’s if I could test the grinder. He allowed me to open up the box and test it out. It fired right up.

There is only one thing that I don’t like about this grinder, is that it has pretty small platforms to set whatever your grinding on. I wish they were bigger and beefier. I will be getting the Oneway Wolverine Sharpening system to sharpening my lathe tools soon. The Wolverine has a larger platform that I will use.

But other than that it is a great grinder, I highly recommend it!!!

I have a video if the grinder on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFk7In4tNX4&feature=plcp

-- Most people say "Measure Twice, Cut Once." I say, "Cut Twice, Measure Once".

View thewoodworker01's profile

thewoodworker01

View Johnny Boy's profile

Johnny Boy

65 posts in 1964 days

#1 posted 11-10-2012 11:34 PM

I have the exact same one except this is branded Magnunm. It works perfectly with a Oneway Wolverine jig. The clearance is about 1/16” but it works. Pretty good grinder, well balanced, silent and powerful

-- Johnny Boy

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#2 posted 11-11-2012 01:24 AM

Thank you for this review. I’ve looked at this model but haven’t pulled the plug yet due to inconsistent reviews. I’ll be interested in seeing what other LJs have to say.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#3 posted 11-11-2012 01:29 AM

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 11-12-2012 01:27 PM

I have owned one of these for years, and the variable speed is the secret on this unit. I used it just this weekend for some sharpening, and with it at the lowest speed, it does very well. Quiet and balanced, I love it.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Rxmpo's profile

Rxmpo

#5 posted 11-17-2012 04:47 AM

I had this unit. Used it a few times but then I found an 8” slow speed grinder with a full Oneway Wolverine set for less than I paid for this one on CL and bought that one. Sold this one, but not because it was a poor product. Actually it was quite good. SOLID and HEAVY for a grinder. Ran very strong and I would never have sold it if not for the other deal.

Wheels are a bit too coarse though and I found only negative reviews in replacement wheels. Can’t say b/c never tried. Plus an additional expense to replace.

I would recommend it for aggressive grinding though…

View DesignMake's profile

DesignMake

#6 posted 01-27-2013 12:24 AM

Just bought the PC grinder and I notice more vibration at the lowest speed than higher. It actually hums nicely at the higher speed. Is this a concern or am I being overly picky? There’s no dancing or movement.

Second question: I followed the fine woodworking fix for reducing the wheel runout. They described rotating the flanges relative to each other (I’m assuming this would balance out any discrepancies between the flanges). The hole in the flanges was larger than the arbor and seemed to affect the runout. i still have not found the best way to gain alignment. Any suggestions?

-- “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”