Incredible Quality made in USA

Review by JuniorJoiner posted 11-08-2012 01:00 AM 3229 views 5 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Incredible Quality made in USA Incredible Quality made in USA No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Vintage Grinder-hand powered.

If you do much sharpening, you know how valuable a hollow ground tool is. Using a low speed grinder is a way to grind your tool safely without losing the steel’s temper. Also, it is easier to grind accurately at low speed.
Anyone who has attended inside passage school of fine cabinetmaking knows about hand crank grinders, and how wonderful it is to have a hollow ground blade to sharpen.
the problem has always been finding a good quality grinder, as the hand crank style went out of vogue long ago. Used vintage grinders can sell for a broad range of prices online, but you never know if they are going to last. I personally went through three in two years, broken shafts when trying to change wheels, and gear mechanisms that just give out.

All of this is fixed by sourcing a new grinder.
Meadow Valley machinery of Barker New York, produces a Vintage grinder of fabulous quality. I have not been this impressed with the quality of a tool since i first saw a Lie-Nielsen plane a dozen years ago. High quality materials, fit and finish, and most importantly , Great results.
Heavy duty wheel guard, oil impregnated bronze bearings, and 60 cranks per minute equals 540 rpm, so true low speed. and made in the USA.

I use The Veritas grinder tool rest that i have, so I did not try the included tool rest. I am using the included grinding wheel.

The price is a bit steep at $355usd(shipping incl) plus duty, but i weighed this against the price of the dozens of tools i will sharpen with it regularly. easily justified.
The company (Meadow Valley Machinery) is a small family run business without a website or e-mail address, so i was a little apprehensive purchasing a costly item sight unseen.
Now that i have received the grinder and experienced the quality of their product, I am excited by the other woodworking items in this company’s catalog.
I expect to get a lifetime of use from this grinder, and any other tools i purchase from this company.

-- Junior -Quality is never an accident-it is the reward for the effort involved.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#1 posted 11-08-2012 01:01 AM

Cool Grinder!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#2 posted 11-08-2012 06:55 AM

Wow, this is pretty cool! I have a Tormek grinder, but I find I don’t use it very often because it is a hassle to pull out and set up. I’ve seen a few vintage hand-crank grinders and thought it would be a neat idea to sharpen with one.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View zosomagick's profile

zosomagick

#3 posted 11-08-2012 08:16 AM

This is awesome. Every hand crank grinder I’ve seen has had “issues.” A quality new production hand grinder is something that is very appealing to me. Did a quick Google search. Is Meadow Valley Machinery in Barker, NY? I want to get one of those catalogs! Thanks for the review!

Tim

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#4 posted 11-08-2012 04:11 PM

Do you have to crank with one hand while holding the tool with the other or do you get enough speed going where you can get 2 hands on the tool? I know nothing about these grinders.

#5 posted 11-08-2012 04:27 PM

you have to use one hand to crank and one to move the blade. it is easy once you try it. you could theoretically still blue a blade if the blade is very small and you crank very fast. but would not normally be a worry. I grind all my spokeshave irons with this and they can be quite small.

#6 posted 11-08-2012 04:43 PM

Unique grinder

View MattinCincy's profile

MattinCincy

#7 posted 11-08-2012 05:54 PM

I like this concept a lot, except for the part about holding the blade with one hand. It seems like it would be a really simple adaptation to make this work with a foot treadle – you could attach it directly to the offset handle and free up both hands to guide the blade.

-- Wag more, bark less.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#8 posted 11-08-2012 09:15 PM

Foot treadle…that’s an awesome idea. Once I have the space this will be at the top of my “want” list.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

#9 posted 11-08-2012 10:05 PM

the foot treadle is easy to rig up, but takes away from the mobility of the setup. i prefer to hand operate.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#10 posted 11-08-2012 10:14 PM

..and of course, foot treadle grinders are a real thing too, if you want one of those, you can find them on occasion. I don’t know if anyone makes them now, but the two I’ve used were amazing, and spun HUGE wheels. 24’ diameter by 4” wide on the bigger one.

#11 posted 11-08-2012 11:12 PM

24’ diameter….wow , that IS huge !!

View MattinCincy's profile

MattinCincy

#12 posted 11-09-2012 06:13 PM

24’ diameter wouldn’t give you much of a hollow grind though, would it? :) ........ I’m guessing he meant 24”?

-- Wag more, bark less.

#13 posted 11-10-2012 01:02 AM

LOL , just playing with Junior : )

View mrpedal's profile

mrpedal

#14 posted 11-13-2012 11:11 PM

Ironic relevance, or this guy surfing this site?

#15 posted 11-13-2012 11:16 PM

“19205” era ? What era are these people living in ?