Sandvick Bahco Screwdrivers.

Review by vipond33 posted 664 days ago 3500 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sandvick Bahco Screwdrivers. Sandvick Bahco Screwdrivers. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A screwdriver is easily the most common and useful tool in our kit, something you have in your hand every day. I have met and used many poor ones in my life and truly believe that there is a special spot in hell for the designers and manufacturers of the ones that hurt your hands in use.

There are also remarkable screwdrivers out there that perform admirably. These Sandvik Bahco drivers are only part of a collection of about 40 or 50 that I own (between work and home) but are the ones I reach for when I want everyday precision and control.

The design points are exceptional. The handles are round with molded flats and a super grippy surface that allow tremendous torque when needed. The reduced frontal area gives a natural rest for your thumb or lets you spin the driver with your finger tips. The quality is in the steel too. I have used these for about 10 years now with only slight wear visible at the tips and with no corrosion. The tips themselves are remarkably machined. Colour coded and icon marked. Some nice ideas and very fine manufacturing from Europe.

While I’m here and after seeing the free flow of comments spawned by COL’s funny thread, I’ll make a shout-out to two other famous line of drivers, long discontinued but valued by many here I’m sure.

The original Stanley Workmasters. Excellent tips, easy great torque with those deep fluted hard plastic handles: good feel and comfort when driving slow. The reverse taper makes good sense. Circa 1970 -75. My go to Robertson drivers.

The Stanley Hurwood line, mostly from my father’s bench though some I’ve had for 30 years myself.

Solid steel shanks right back to the heel with well designed comfy wood handles.
Both series were made in Canada!

I’ll leave you with this. How many tools get this kind of treatment anymore.

An honorable mention goes to Irwin Perfect Handles and all others that you may love.

If you see any of these at a flea market or garage sale, treat yourself.
gene

Bahco Screwdriver home page

-- gene@toronto.ontario.canada : dovetail free since '53, critiques always welcome.

View vipond33's profile

vipond33

View peteg's profile

peteg

Interesting thread Gene, I still have my origonal Bridgeport drivers I bought with my tool allowance back in 1959 when I started as an apprentice Electrician in a underground coal mine here in NZ, I drilled two shallow holes in the handle to mark them as mine.
Yep your drivers ( as a sparkie) were your “go to” tool. I laugh at a lot of the young fellas today with all the battery gear, all of ours were that Spanish type “manual”
BTW thoes origonal tools have the odd burn hole for the odd “sin” by way of taking a short cut ending in a real “short” :: ))
Pete

-- Pete G: If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got

View vipond33's profile

vipond33

Pete, so true. The second Workmaster from the top as you might see was welded to a service panel near the tip and freed only with some effort. After calming down that is.

View brtech's profile

brtech

Sanvik Bahco is no more. Snap-on (a U.S. tool manufacturer) acquired the tools line from Sanvik. They are now available from what is called SNA Europe, and from Snap-On in the U.S.

Amazon carries them

View LittlePaw's profile

LittlePaw

In over 50 years of collecting/using tools, I now have over a hundred screw drivers, except the first ones you mentioned. Tho I would like to have them, I can’t justify buying them, ‘cuz I just don’t use/need them very much. But it was interesting reading and if I ever find them at a garage sale – cheap – I’d would buy them then! Thanx for the tip.

-- LittlePAW - The sweetest sound in my shop, next to Mozart, is what a hand plane makes slicing a ribbon.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

I have a set of Stanley Workmasters. Although I have many others, I just always grab them.
Those Sanviks look really nice.

I have a set of Rigid orange handles at work (for electronics). I have learned to like them and the tips have held up. One good thing is that they are marked on top with the size – really nice because they live point down in a coffee cup. And being orange, nobody steals them.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View rance's profile

rance

Those Sandwich screwdrivers look REAL nice. Color coded, narrower near the blade, and a grippy handle. All good features. Thanks for sharing.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

I’ve not seen the Sandviks first hand,. so they may be way out of the league of the drivers I use and recommend, but since we are talking about screw drivers, why not?

I share your love of a good functional screwdriver. When I am buying new, and cost is less concern to function, I reach for Klein or Greenlee electricians screwdrivers.

In fact, I buy Klein for straight blades and Greenlee for Phillips, thus I have instant color coding, (The Kleins are the familiar clear yellow wrapped in black rubber cushioning, the Greenlees are clear green with the same cushion grip)

Most of you will be familiar with the look of the Kleins, it’s been the semi standard design of electricians screwdrivers for decades now,

Greenlee just added the green variation for branding.

You can find them in the Electrics sections of the big home improvement stores,. and they work very well for a wood worker as well as for repairs etc..

View taoist's profile

taoist

They are very nice looking screwdrivers and look well made. I worked out of a tool box for years and to me a screwdriver has to not only have a comfortable grip and well tempered tip but also a hex nut cast into the shank so that you can use a wrench on it. It really helps to break loose screws that are either corroded in place or were put in by an idiot and are way to tight. Some of the Klein tools have them and some don’t as well as some of the Snap Ons.

View mafe's profile

mafe

I agree the Bachos are wonderful.
The screwdriver is one of the tools that looks the same but has gone through a clever development.
I use old style screwdrivers for pleasure and new with good grip when really using them.
Best thoughts,
Mads

Dennisgrosen

Bacho┬┤s own screwdriver serie was/is blackhandled only
though I have a set of these tooo with Brandname Belzer :-)
the original was made by Belzer and made in Germany and I gess still is
Belzer seemed to be a part of the Sanviik-Bacho group now

thanks for the rewiew …. I agree with you they are good screwdrivers

Dennis

View Emma Walker's profile

Emma Walker

I find these to be totally useless, They were a gift from my girlfriend.

-- I'm a twisted 2x4 in a pile of straight lumber.

not totely useless Emma
they are funny conversation pieces …. :-)
they deserve a box with a glass front with the words …. only for emergency use only :-)
thanks for sharing

Dennis

View Emma Walker's profile

Emma Walker

Everybody loves a good novelty / gag gifts. I once got leather panties with pistol holsters and zippers in pointless places.

-- I'm a twisted 2x4 in a pile of straight lumber.

:-)