New Table saw for my shop

Review by jerrells posted 11-05-2012 12:28 AM 7020 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Table saw for my shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well I finally burn out my old cheap table saw. I guess cutting some hard oak limbs was too much for it. I shopped around for something that I thought woul;d fit my needs for years to come. I decided on the Dewalt 745. It is going to be a Christmas present from my wife, my daughter and son-in-law and some money i pitched in. I was going to wait till black Friday to see if there was a better price. I normally show at Lowes and they had it for $369 which seemed to be the going price. I just happened into Home Depot and saw the same saw for $299. Well Lowes will match that price plus I get 5% more off because I used my Lowes card. To top that I get 30 day price protection. So if it does go on sale, like on black Friday, I will still get that price.

This on meets all of my needs. YES it does not take a dado blade but I can deal with that. Most of my work is small thin wood anyway.

Thanks for looking and reading.

-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.

View jerrells's profile

jerrells

View Keith Fenton's profile

Keith Fenton

#1 posted 11-05-2012 01:57 AM

Nice deal! Hope it serves you well for many years!

-- Scroll saw patterns @ http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com

View dalaminator's profile

dalaminator

#2 posted 11-05-2012 02:48 AM

I’ve been using the same saw to install hardwood and laminate for the last 5 years and it does everything I’ve asked it to do. The rack and pinion fence does away with tapping the fence into place. I’ve seen them sell it with the folding stand for the same price, so if you don’t need one right away , watch for this deal. If I burn this sucker out , not only would I be surprised, but I would run out and buy the exact same one. You can’t say that about many tools.

View mitchota's profile

mitchota

#3 posted 11-05-2012 03:28 AM

Looks like you got a good deal on it, If it suits your needs, then it will definitely be worth it. I wouldn’t sweat the lack of dado capability—you can easily get that done with a router or even just multiple passes with the standard blade.

Hope this saw will meet your expectations, and that you’ll be able to make a lot of great stuff with it!

View Sheila Landry (scrollgirl)'s profile

Sheila Landry (scrollgirl)

#4 posted 11-05-2012 11:14 AM

Congratulations on the new saw Jerrell! It is always fun to have a nice new piece of equipment to work with. I hope that you find it does everything you need it to and that it serves you well. Merry Christmas! (a bit early!) :)

Sheila

-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"

View Rick1911's profile

Rick1911

#5 posted 11-05-2012 12:25 PM

Just to let you know – HD will give you the 5% Lowes discount just by asking for it.
I discovered this by accidently handing a HD clerk my Lowe’s card and she said – “oh, sure we’ll give you the 5% discount.” Now I just ask for it – no need to show the card.

-- “Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”

View Vicki's profile

Vicki

946 posts in 2097 days

#6 posted 11-05-2012 03:33 PM

Congrats on a wonderful deal. Nice saw. You can’t go wrong with a DeWalt. IMHO.

-- Vicki on the Eastern Shore of MD

#7 posted 11-05-2012 03:39 PM

I hope it turns out well for you.

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

103 posts in 1934 days

#8 posted 11-05-2012 08:08 PM

You should be very happy with the saw. I bought the “older version” about 11 years ago and used the heck out of it. I graduated up to a cabinet saw three years ago and last year my niece and her husband “borrowed” the Dewalt to remodel their house and I haven’t seen it since. But it is still going strong.

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1455 posts in 1937 days

#9 posted 11-05-2012 08:21 PM

I have the same saw and it has served me very well over the years. I’m starting to make some larger projects and looking to upgrade it, but I can still get great cuts from this saw for smaller work. I’ve never bothered with the guard, but I did put in an aftermarket splitter that helps reduce the kickback chance. Try getting a thin-kerf blade for this thing… they really help with smaller saws like this since they don’t have to hog out as much material with each pass.

-- Allen, Colorado

View mxrdrver's profile

mxrdrver

#10 posted 11-06-2012 03:40 AM

I also have a portable contractor saw. Although I have a Bosch 4100. One of the best things I did was buy a Rousseau table saw stand.

#11 posted 11-06-2012 03:42 AM

Congrats. Nothing like a new tool to get the woodworking juices flowing. I reallt like Dewalt as a tool brand overall. My 734 planer is a beast!

#12 posted 11-06-2012 04:11 AM

SPAM ALERT ABOVE!!!!!

#13 posted 11-07-2012 02:38 AM

Looks like you forgot the REVIEW part of your tool GLOAT.
Appears that you gave it 5 stars because you CAN’T put a dado set on it.
That’s all of the info that you actually gave us about the tool in this REVIEW : (

View hoosier0311's profile

hoosier0311

#14 posted 11-08-2012 06:46 PM

I think you will be happy with that saw. DW makes good stuff that seems to hold up well.

-- I'm only deaf in one ear,,,,,I just can't hear out of the other one., Denny, Indiana implant, living in PA

#15 posted 11-09-2012 01:04 AM

Glad to see the spam post got removed so quickly!