I would like a review of the Timesaver Speedsander

Review by tooldad posted 04-08-2008 06:38 AM 7574 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I would like a review of the Timesaver Speedsander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am putting together a proposal for my school shop to get a wide belt sander for the upcoming school year. Had my eye on a grizzly, however prefer local reps and us made Timesaver. Looking at the Speedsander series for about $9k, the grizzly about $10k, or the timesaver 1300 series – $14K+4K setup.

I obviously want the Timesaver 1300, but at half the cost I can get the speedsander if all goes well with approvals. I would like any reviews I can get on any of the 3 listed.

Thanks,
Tooldad

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

View Eric's profile

Eric

#1 posted 04-08-2008 09:54 AM

Might be a good idea to post this in the forums as opposed to the reviews, since most people will be coming to the Reviews section to read reviews and not requests for reviews.

Just a thought…

-- Eric at http://adventuresinwoodworking.com

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#2 posted 04-08-2008 11:51 AM

These machines seem great. I have never seen a review, but I am sure that if you ask the company, they can give you some references of owners you can call and ask.

-- making sawdust....

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#3 posted 04-08-2008 05:58 PM

Hi Tooldad

You should be so thankful that you have a school system that supports their wood working program. Maybe things have changed from when I taught Industrial Arts many years ago. It is time that schools realize that there is a need for training craft persons. Not every kid can go to college, do sports or play in the band.

I was not a very good student in high school but loved taking shop classes. Went to a two year college for cabinet building and house constuction. Applied myself and got a BSE in Industrial Arts. Only taught for five years but had an oppertunity to work for over 35 years in Prison Industries (Some young people might consider doing this). I was a furniture designer/ builder and supervised three furniture Division in three different states. I was blessed to have a rewarding carrier and am now retired. I will now get off my soap box. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#4 posted 04-08-2008 09:27 PM

i agree with ND2ELK my school has no shop classes whatsoever. nothing at all. maybe you could try to challeng the class and have them build a drum sander. it would be a good experience and for around 300 dollars you could have a nice 24 inch drum sander.

View barlow's profile

barlow

#5 posted 04-11-2008 05:28 AM

Timesavers are a great sander, a heavy duty industrial grade sander, we had one and ran it all day every day, than got a Cemco and cemco closed a few yrs ago. they were identical machines, yet timesaver stood the test of time. Parts/help lines are usually right to the manufact. where they can give you part numbers, and call local stores for minor ones instead of having to go direct. However the 4k for set up seems a little steep whenever we buy a machine they come in and set it up. I’d think for a non-profit like a school they would definately set it up for free as a tax right off. I would definately not go with a drum sander, we had one in my shop in high school and it was as useless. Wide belts are the way to go if affordable.

-- barlow

View barlow's profile

barlow

#6 posted 04-12-2008 02:24 AM

I was talking with my dad on about this sander, he said that he has no idea what the set up charge would be for, it comes straight from the factory pre set, all you have to do is wire it in.

-- barlow

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#7 posted 08-30-2008 02:50 AM

To follow up on this, thanks for all the input. I found out the setup was for shipping, unloading and rigging to the exact site in the shop, and if there was so much as a knick in the paint it would be fixed. Otherwise we could have paid $1000 shipping, and it would have been our problem to unload it from a flatbed and get it into the shop and hooked up.

When all was said and done, we bought a used machine. A mid 90’s Powermatic RB-25. It is only 25” instead of the 37” I was hoping for, but at $2650, not a bad deal. Just had to put some drops of oil in it and clean all the dust from the diaphrams so the oscillator would work. Been working like a charm. Have used it on 2 projects this summer. I don’t even touch my drum sander any more at home.