A fun way way to introduce both young and old to the craft.

Review by Ben posted 664 days ago 1861 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A fun way way to introduce both young and old to the craft. A fun way way to introduce both young and old to the craft. A fun way way to introduce both young and old to the craft. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got my copy of Grandpa’s Workshop by Maurice Pommier in the mail a week or two ago and I immediately sat down to check it out. Every book I’ve gotten from Lost Art Press has been of the highest quality and this book was no exception. First the cover. The images are bright and inviting while still being robust. The pages are nice and thick with excellent printing. Each image is not only fun to look at but informative. I could spend hours just staring at the pictures of tools. The story has enough depth to keep my interest, but its also easy enough to understand for the you get audience. I can’t wait to read it to my son. I’ll just have to make sure he doesn’t destroy it. Everyone I’ve showed it to has gotten quite a kick out of it. I also like how there is still a little French left over. In summation, if you get a chance to buy a copy its well worth the price. It’s certainly a book I hope to read my grandchildren some day.

The pictures are the ones shown on the lost art press website.

-- Do something nice for somebody

View Ben's profile

Ben

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thanks for the rewiew Ben :-)

Dennis

View LittlePaw's profile

LittlePaw

For a long time, I’ve wondering how we could interest the younger generations in wood carving, or woodworking in general. Just about every member of my Eastern Oklahoma Woodcarvers Assoc is over 55. Most of the exhibitors at the 46th Annual Artistry in Wood, this past weekend, were no spring chickens either. We as a group need to put a special effort into encouraging today’s teenagers to preserve this art that is headed for extinction along with TRex! If I had known carving is this much fun, I would have retired at 40!!! Whenever a youngster come by my table at a show, I tried to engage him/her in a conversation in how fun it is to carve something. I encouraged them to take a piece of soap and carve something out of it with daddy’s pocket knife. A teenage boy’s eyes lit up when I told him that and later came back to my table and assured me that he WILL try that. That made my day! Atta way to go, Ben!

-- LittlePAW - The sweetest sound in my shop, next to Mozart, is what a hand plane makes slicing a ribbon.

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

What’s the age level of the book?

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View Ben's profile

Ben

I would say its for any child that can sit and listen for for more than five minutes on up. However, I doubt anybody younger than 5 would be able to fully understand all the words. I feel the pictures alone are worth a page through for the kiddos. It certainly hasn’t stopped me from reading it to my 10 month old. It should really only be handled by a child who has learned how to respect his/her belongings. Hope this helps.

-- Do something nice for somebody

112014 posts in 2208 days

Great review thanks for sharing this book.

View clieb91's profile

clieb91

Sounds like a really good book. I will try to get a copy as well. It is hard to find children’s books relating to woodworking. I found one used from a library and it is one of my daughter’s favorites. “Puddle Jumper” by Ann Morris Tell’s how a toymaker makes a wooden airplane with a little help from his daughter.

CtL

-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- PortablePastimes.com (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)

View Sylvain's profile

Présentation : Broché
Nb. de pages : 47 pages
Poids : 0,505 Kg
Dimensions : 24,0 cm × 31,0 cm × 0,7 cm

-- Sylvain, Brussels, Belgium, Europe - The more I learn, the more there is to learn

View ropo71's profile

ropo71

Thank you for the review!!....I have a nephew that I will most certainly enjoy reading.g this to one day soon….his father and I come from a construction family and I’m sure he will gain those skills in some way of another. :)
Blessings to you….