ChopShop Saw Hood

Review by RussellAP posted 10-27-2012 02:43 PM 3648 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
ChopShop Saw Hood No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I hooked this up to my Dewalt compound miter saw last night and thought I’d post my thoughts.

It’s very easy to put together, just 4 parts.
It’s much larger than I expected causing me to pull the saw out significantly from the wall, about 18”.
It catches not only what the saw shoots out the DC port, but most of the chips that fly everywhere.
The clean up is in front of the saw, not under and behind.
A simple bucket is all that you need to capture the chips and dust.
Material is rugged.
This is a good addition to my shop.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

#1 posted 10-27-2012 03:39 PM

Thanks for posting. Good review

View hjt's profile

hjt

#2 posted 10-28-2012 03:51 AM

Fast Cap is a great company. I”ve bought a set of thier 3rd hand products them and am now considering getting a set of the smaller units. They provide quality products. Check out the measuring tapes they offer – neat stuff. Glad you found their hood to work well for you.

-- Harold

View ellen35's profile (online now)

ellen35

#3 posted 10-28-2012 10:27 AM

I bought one of their older models, the kind without the front piece. Gave it away… like sawing in a pup tent and way too far from the wall… when I get a shop that has unlimited space, it may work!
Like hit, I LOVE their measuring tapes.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Milo's profile

Milo

859 posts in 2006 days

#4 posted 10-28-2012 11:23 AM

It’s so honk’n big though… doesn’t it get in the way? I mean, I love the idea of controlling dust from the mitre saw, don’t get me wrong, it has to be the single biggest dust creator in the shop, but doesn’t the hood get in the way?

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

#5 posted 10-28-2012 12:55 PM

Milo, no, it doesn’t. I cut all kind if wood with it after I put it on and no problem. No mess either.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#6 posted 10-29-2012 03:02 PM

Russell, how far does the hood stick out from behind the saw? I received one of these as a gift and never installed it because I have very little clearance behind my sliding compound miter saw when pushed all the way back.

-- Allen, Colorado

#7 posted 10-29-2012 03:08 PM

I had to pull mine out about 18”.

#8 posted 10-29-2012 03:36 PM

I bought one some time ago but find it’s to big and bulky to haul around in my contracting business.

View 1thumb's profile

1thumb

#9 posted 10-30-2012 11:50 PM

If working outside on cold days, one could crawl inside of bag, cut accurately and stay warm

View scottb's profile

scottb

#10 posted 11-01-2012 03:13 AM

we cut a lot of pvc trim and such for the day job, even with a shop vac on the Dewalt it still got everywhere. (so static-y) This hood plus the shop vac makes a significant improvement.

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View SnowFrog's profile

SnowFrog

#11 posted 11-02-2012 11:40 AM

I guess it depends of the saw you have: a simple miter saw or a sliding compound miter. My sliding compound miter already extend 15+ inches behind the blade so it is far from the wall already this does not seems like it would make a dramatic difference. I guess on a non sliding saw it would.

My question is could you hook up a 4” dust collector to this hood?

-- One can dream, about a passion not yet fully fulfilled!

View Wood_smith's profile

Wood_smith

#12 posted 11-23-2012 02:49 AM

After reading some comments on here, I think I will try to add a second model of my sliding miter saw cover to allow it to be a dust catcher as well (someone who bought one of my folding tablesaw covers hooks it underneath with a couple bungee cords to collect sawdust).
If I do, I’ll try to make it useful for those who have little clearance to the wall, and possibly offer a 4” port for a vacuum hose.
You folks are the best test ground on the ‘net!

-- Lloyd Kerry; creator of the Kerry-All Pouch, http://www.kerrywoodworking.com

#13 posted 11-23-2012 02:54 AM

When it gets enough in there it comes sliding out into that bucket under it.