worse scroll saw ever

Review by jeff robinson posted 10-26-2012 10:03 PM 4646 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
worse scroll saw ever No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

i ordered this saw a couple weeks ago i previously owned the porter cable from big box store.needed a upgrade .started off easy to put together 30 mins top so i was liking then i started cutting and that’s when problems started first i couldn’t get blade straight up and down the top came out of wood first thin came the knocking noise started so called the company i bought it from exchanged it no problem i need it right away so drove 6 hrs 1 way to get got home set it up and different problem the table had to be set 3 degrees to left to sq it to blade so called deltas tech support and told me to try adjusting set screws on blade mount told him i tried that and then he said to use shims under table to adjust then said good luck and hung up the phone i was thinking to my self i just paid $500 for this saw and hes telling me to shim it.well needles to say wont buy anything else from delta.the company i ordered the saw from is trading out the saw foe the dewalt 788 i hope i have better luck with this one.but the company i bought it from has great customer service will use them again (cpo tools)

#1 posted 10-26-2012 10:06 PM

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

#2 posted 10-26-2012 10:11 PM

Sorry you are having the problems. I would have thought the Delta would be a good buy but I would have been wrong I see. I also use a think a lot of the service I have gotten from CPO. That is a good outfit to use.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#3 posted 10-26-2012 10:23 PM

I had a DeWalt 788. I think you will be happy with it.

-- Life is good.

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#4 posted 10-27-2012 03:35 AM

I have the Dewalt 788 as well, very well made machine, and very happy with it. I think that Delta is losing it’s way, now that Stanley is at the Helm.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View s2h's profile

s2h

#5 posted 10-27-2012 04:21 AM

“started off easy to put together 30 mins top so i was liking then i started cutting and that’s when problems started first i couldn’t get blade straight up and down the top came out of wood first thin came the knocking noise started so called the company i bought it from exchanged it no problem i need it right away so drove 6 hrs 1 way to get got home set it up and different problem the table had to be set 3 degrees to left to sq it to blade so called deltas tech support and told me to try adjusting set screws on blade mount told him i tried that and then he said to use shims under table to adjust then said good luck and hung up the phone i was thinking to my self i just paid $500 for this saw and hes telling me to shim it.”

That was a really long sentence. I hope you have better luck with the DeWalt 788 than the Delta 40.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#6 posted 10-27-2012 02:12 PM

I’ve been using the Dewalt for a number of years, great saw for the money. I think you will like it much better.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View jerrells's profile

jerrells

#7 posted 10-27-2012 04:11 PM

Good that you purchased from someone who will stand behind what they sell – even if they do not make it. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE is what it is all about. I have had a Dewalt for about a year and love it. If it does start knocking there is a simple fix posted in Rick Hutchingson’s web page.

Good luck.

-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1938 days

#8 posted 10-27-2012 04:24 PM

Jeff I am not a scrller, but I think that you should be able to at least get store credit or something if you want to return a saw your not happy with. Hope you can resolve your issue with a better out come.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Delta356's profile

Delta356

#9 posted 10-27-2012 05:14 PM

That’s to bad you had a bad experience with this scroll saw. Delta makes precision and quality tools. Delta will post your review you just have to give it a couple of days. When ever I post a review it takes them a bit to post it. It also depends what day you wrote it. Being that everything is being made overseas there will always be a bad apple. Looks like you got it. Delta is really the only big name company that still makes a lot of there items in the USA. The only problem you have to spend over 1,000 to get a tool made in USA… All there smaller items are made in China. I have had good luck with Delta and purchased all my tools from them. When ever I ran into a problem they were always there to help, and they always replaced a part if it was broken or not working. I would keep bugging Delta and have them send you a new scroll saw in which right out of the box everything works..My experience with Delta tools is that every time I buy a tool from them I didn’t have a problem with the tool out of the box. No adjustment nothing. To me this is bad on Deltas PART. They should do more for you.

Take Care, Michael Frey
Portland, OR

FREY WOODWORKING INC.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#10 posted 10-28-2012 01:20 PM

I have the 788 as well, and it does everything I ask of it. Do have to be careful not raise hold down too close to the blade tightening knob though as it will beat the snot out of it. Other than that, I’d buy it again. I do look back sometimes and ask myself…did I really pay that much for a saw with such an itty bitty blade ;)

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View RetiredCoastie's profile

RetiredCoastie

999 posts in 1930 days

#11 posted 10-29-2012 12:05 AM

I bought the Delta 40-690 during the closeout sale for this model at Woodcraft and it’s bullet proof. The saw came with the stand and light for $325.00. The Dewalt and Delta are the same saw just different badges. I’d contact Delta customer support and talk to a manager. I’ve not had to use customer support but 2 times and both times I got excellent support.

-- www.thepatriotwoodworker.com Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops

View saucer's profile

saucer

#12 posted 10-30-2012 01:40 AM

Delta has been on my DO NOT BUY LIST for years new or used…

-- It has been deemed bad for you hence there for it is illegal.

View firehouse's profile

firehouse

#13 posted 10-30-2012 09:07 AM

JEFF GO FOR THE DEWALT 788 THE REST ARE JUNK. FIREHOUSE

-- duke 66 ocala fl.

#14 posted 10-30-2012 12:01 PM

i got my dewalt saw yesterday cant wait to test it out today it came with free light and stand but those are on back order so have to make something to set it on first

View Zinderin's profile

Zinderin

#15 posted 10-30-2012 01:33 PM

“just checked deltas web page where i posted a review and its no longer there that’s funny only good reviews get posted”

That is why we all belong to sites like LJ!!