Axminster AWVSWL 1200 / Laguna 1847

Review by AlexHarris posted 10-26-2012 12:02 PM 3826 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Axminster AWVSWL 1200 / Laguna 1847 Axminster AWVSWL 1200 / Laguna 1847 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So you may remember that in my last shop tour I gave a quick mention to my new lathe the Axminster AWVSWL1200 which appears to me to be the same as the Laguna1847. A few of you have asked me for more detail and what i think of the lathe so here it is! It was quite a long article so check it out on my website: thiswoodwork.com

Here is the link: http://thiswoodwork.com/axminster-awvswl1200-laguna-1847/

View Roger's profile

#1 posted 10-26-2012 12:52 PM

A good review, and looks to be a very stout machine

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Julian's profile

Julian

#2 posted 10-26-2012 03:22 PM

That’s a great looking lathe. Large capacity and powerful. I doubt you would ever need a large lathe. The lathe looks similar to the Jet & Laguna models as you mentioned because they are made in the same factory. Enjoy your new machine and post some turning projects when you can.

-- Julian

View Adam's profile

Adam

#3 posted 10-26-2012 04:51 PM

You say in your review that they should/would be available in the USA. I did a Google search but could not find a place where they could be purchased. Do you have their web address or know what store might sell them in North America? Thanks.

-- Adam, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

#4 posted 10-26-2012 05:31 PM

@Adam
Yep, here is the link to the one sold by Laguna http://www.lagunatools.com/lathes/lathe-1847

Hope this helps, Alex.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#5 posted 10-26-2012 07:14 PM

thanks for the rewiew Alex :-)
and I think you are better served by getting it from axminster than from laguna
as I remember then axminster shuold have a reputation of backing there products up
with a good service …. correct me if I´m wrong :-)
but the do know how to pack … lol
what was the shipping cost … little curious since I am in Denmark

Dennis

View copcarcollector's profile

copcarcollector

#6 posted 10-26-2012 07:56 PM

Thanks for the review. This looks really similar to the Grizzly 18×47, G0733, especially the headstock, though the Grizzly does not have the handwheel on the left. I would bet they are all made in the same place with some minor differences by brand name. Have fun turning!

(Light shown on the Grizzly lathe is a Rockler add on part)

#7 posted 10-26-2012 08:02 PM

@copcarcollector
I would agree with you there! Identical other than name a colour!

#8 posted 10-26-2012 08:05 PM

@Dennisgrosen
Axminster were good they have responded to any queries I have had and refered me to one of their specialist turners!
Postage was £40 but would likely be more to denmark but I do believe they deliver that far.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#9 posted 10-26-2012 09:04 PM

yes they does they deliver all over europe

thanks Alex
it looks like you wont have anytrouble finding spareparts in the future
with so many brands making the same maschine …. :-)