Easy to Build Vice from Woodsmith eTips

Review by OldKranky posted 10-25-2012 10:43 PM 3451 views 7 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Easy to Build Vice from Woodsmith eTips No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I currently subscribe to Woodsmith eTips and enjoy receiving their video tips and read tips. I’ve come across several over the past couple of years that have helped me in my shop and today’s tips included a simple low cost Moxon style vise that I think several of you may want to build.

If you haven’t already, I encourage you to subscribe as well

Thanks Woodsmith!

Jim

-- Better looking at it than for it....

View OldKranky's profile

OldKranky

View sandhill's profile

sandhill

#1 posted 10-25-2012 10:50 PM

Thats cool. Thanks Jim I will

View Roger's profile

#2 posted 10-26-2012 12:20 PM

Been a long time Woodsmith subscriber. I know folks who may not be, will appreciate this link.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

#3 posted 10-26-2012 01:23 PM

I ‘m building a 2nd smaller workbench for the upstairs (heated) part of my garage. I am building it fairly low for hand-tool tasks other than joinery. This might be perfect; I need to build this and perhaps cheat it up a little taller for the joinery. Thanks.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#4 posted 10-26-2012 02:03 PM

With the addition of some wood/rubber/leather jaws, it looks to be a nice design for a saw sharpening vise. I’d definitly use quick-action/squeeze style clamps though.
Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the clamp screws on the front of the vise (assuming you’d use 6-12” clamps)??

No to take anything away from the vise though. Its an awesome idea that I’ll gladly adopt in my shop.

View 72hw's profile

72hw

#5 posted 10-26-2012 11:46 PM

Really cool vise!

Vice?

Vise sounds funny… Vice sounds funny too.

Screw it – great thing you got here and I will surely get on the e-tips list now cause I’ve needed this thing for a while!

-- “Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

View Gatorjim's profile

Gatorjim

#6 posted 10-27-2012 12:05 AM

I made this vise today. I am not sure what size fclamp they show in the plans but as you can see from the picture My HF fclamps don’t fit very well. I rechecked the measurments and there correct to the plan. The only difference is the 45 on the top should of been on the bottom but i don’t see how that would matter. The vise works but as you can see the clamps bearly fit.

-- My theroy in wood working will be. If I'm not enjoying doing it i won't do it.

#7 posted 10-27-2012 12:24 AM

Thanks for sharing that’s a quick way to make a vise cool Idea.

View 72hw's profile

72hw

#8 posted 10-27-2012 01:08 AM

@gatorjim – thanks for the heads up. Was planning to start on this project and I have the same HF clamps so maybe I will rethink the plan a bit befor I jump in. Your vise looks great!

View Milo's profile

Milo

862 posts in 2041 days

#9 posted 10-27-2012 01:15 AM

Thank you for the link to the tips sign up. Another plus!

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

View garriv777's profile

garriv777

#10 posted 10-29-2012 06:21 AM

Thanks Jim,
This will be a great little vise to clamp to my Workmate portable bench. Thanks again!

View shelly_b's profile

shelly_b

#11 posted 10-29-2012 11:58 AM

awesome idea:) I love woodsmith tips and plans. I just got done building their sliding door shop cabinet:)

View Ethan Liou's profile

Ethan Liou

#12 posted 10-30-2012 02:16 PM

nice project. I am definitely going to build one!

-- Ethan, Taiwan, http://fwwtw.blogspot.tw/

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#13 posted 10-31-2012 12:55 AM

Thanks for sharing the post. I missed that one. I’m going to build one soon.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View WoodworkGuy's profile

WoodworkGuy

#14 posted 11-08-2012 04:09 PM

I’ve been thinking about building a Moxon style vise with press screws, but this a great, functional design, that is time and cost efficient. Leave it to Woodsmith. I also missed this e-tip, so thanks for sharing,

-- Making sawdust and memories through woodworking.

View wreker's profile