Not For Everyone But A Great Tool

Review by gfadvm posted 643 days ago 2577 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not For Everyone But A Great Tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My buddy VonHagan recommended this sander to me some time ago and I just recently purchased it. My experience with it has been wonderful: no vibration to speak of, sands REALLY fast, and leaves a perfect surface. I bought the Spirit model as it is lighter and cheaper than the Supreme model. I chose the 3/16” orbit (3/32 and 3/8) are also available. I also got the model that connects to vac. Using my dust collector and Abranet discs, sanding is as dust free as it gets. The down side for many is that it requires a lot of air and a small compressor won’t be sufficient but if you already have a big compressor, this sander is a jewel! I shopped around and found ABs Gloves and Abrasives to have the best price by quite a bit. They also have the best price I have found on the Abranet Sample Pack (5 discs of each grit from 80-600 plus a pad protector for $25). That is 35 5” discs. Hope this is helpful to someone.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

Looks nice. I’ve never used any pneumatic tools… seems like the air and vac lines would get in the way, but I guess it can’t be much worse than the power cord on my sander. Abranet sounds neat, too.

-- Allen, Colorado

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

Great, another tool I have to get :-)

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it. - It's not ability that we often lack, but the patience to use our ability

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

Do you have any trouble with the air line and the vac lines getting in the way, or destabilizing the balance?

-- Having fun...Eric

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

What is the CFM requirment???

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

gfadvm

Woodwrecker, I wrap the airline around the vac. hose and they don’t cause me any probs (but then I wrapped the elec cord around a much bigger vac hose before). The whole thing (sander,vacc line, air line) is a lot easier to handle than my previous set up. Randy, Sorry I don’t remember but you can find it in Dynabrades tech info for this sander. Monte, If you have a big compressor, this will save you a lot of time.

View patron's profile

patron

12964 posts in 1943 days

here you go andy
i think this is your sander

i have had one for years
and love it

View vipond33's profile

vipond33

Nice to see you got one Andy and very nice and thorough review. We have had 4 of the Supremes at our shop for years and years, fabulous performance.

If I might add, get a peel and stick pad as well as the hook and loop. For fine careful sanding where you want things to stay flat, or you’re worried you may cut through, and even with the 3/16” orbit, it does perform a bit better.

& one drop of oil every time you pick it up makes it very happy.
gene

-- gene@toronto.ontario.canada : dovetail free since '53, critiques always welcome.

View AJswoodshop's profile

AJswoodshop

Looks like a cool sander! Nice review.

-- If I can do it.....so can you! -AJswoodshop

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

David,
Thanks for the link.
BTW-FYI: Their website states: 18 SCFM @ 90PSI.

View Bigrock's profile

Bigrock

They are great machines. I used them years ago and then did not have enough air pres.. I bought one about three years and it is much lighter and have a 80 Gal Air Compressor and now I use it all the time. I know you will enjoy yours for a long time.

gfadvm

Thank you for the link David (why can’t I do that?). The model you linked is the non-vac model and I have the vac model. (and mine was cheaper). Otherwise, that is like mine. Thanks Gene, Mine came with the stick on pad that may never get used (I’m a big fan of Abranet discs). And I was wondering how often to oil it.

View mbs's profile

mbs

Not trying to hijack your review but I’ve also read great reviews of the Mirka Ceros Electric DC sanders. Some of Festool advocates switched from festool to these sanders. Since I’m a festool fan I thought this was interesting. The Mirka sanders are more expensive since they’re electric but it solves the big compressor issue.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View rance's profile

rance

I’ve always liked the sounds of the air tools. That alone would be enough reason to switch.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View patron's profile

and click on COPY

4- in your post page
pull down edit again
and click on PASTE
(wherever the flashing next letter bar is
is where the link will paste
so i usually put it in a separate single line
so it can be accessed easily)

(PASTE HERE >) http://www.aaabrasives.com/products/4528/D59020/dynabrade-59020---5-non-vacuum-dynorbital-spirit-random-orbital-sander-25-hp-ergo-grip-12000-rpm-316-dia-orbit-rear-exhaust

(i don’t know how to do the one word link
that is part of a sentence yet like some do
they may teach that in the first grade next year)
that’s about it andy

gluck

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Looking at the specs, it takes under full load, constant sanding, 14 CFM at 90 PSI. 3.5 CFM at 90 PSI in 15 second runs. That means for decent furniture sanding, probably minimum a 5HP compressor with a 60-80 gallon tank. Out of my league, but I bet there are a ton of body shops in the world with these.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com