Piss poor results

Review by Richard posted 640 days ago 4003 views 1 time favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Piss poor results No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let me start out by saying I wanted to like the WS2000. I read the reviews here and elsewhere and was sold on the idea that it was going to make sharpening of plane irons and chisels easier.

Previously I have practiced the “scary sharp” method of sharping on progressively finer grits of sandpaper utilizing an inexpensive honing guide. My biggest frustration with the honing guide was the poor ability to obtain consistent results.

I will say this in the WS2000’s favor. It seemed to be a well constructed machine. The fit and finish was very good.

I unpacked it, read the manual and spent an afternoon trying it out on various chisels and irons that ranged in condition from good shape to seriously messed up by either my own abuse or that of a previous owner.

All told I spent upwards of eight hours over a few days in front of the WS2000 trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I tried various grits, I rewatched the videos on worksharptools.com and youtube.

NOTHING I put through the process was even approaching what I would consider acceptably sharp and the backs of every iron and chisel had deep scratches.

On day seven I purchased a Veritas MKII for about half of what the WS2000 and Fine Abrasive Kit that I purchased cost and spent a considerable number of hours reworking my previous attempts.

In the end I have razor sharp tools, but the WS2000 had nothing to do with it.

I wanted to like it, and I think I gave it a fair try. But I cannot recommend it and would not use one if it was given to me for free.

I packed it back up and returned it.

-- "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

View Richard's profile

Richard

View knothead's profile

knothead

Whatever you do – don’t think that running out and buying a WorkSharp 3000 based on it’s reviews will be any better…I have the WS3000 and from the day I opened the box it has been JUNK not worth $25.00 let alone $200.00. It is a tough pill to swallow but something like the Tormek is nearly guaranteed to make you happy.

Just my 2 cents worth but nothing is more valuable than actual experience.

Have good day!

-- So Much Wood - So Little Time! --

View Richard's profile

Richard

So far the Veritas MKII has been outstanding. My only regret is that I had not tried it first, I doubt the WS2000 would have held any appeal to me if I had.

111999 posts in 2173 days

It’s hard for me to imagine how some one could not get a work sharp to work with good results,I’ve been using one for years and 5 minutes out of the box I had my first scary sharp chisel. I’m sorry yours did not work for you. Thanks for your review.

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

I have WS for a long time and the results have been very good

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

WS3000 works excellently for me !
I didn’t even know that they still made the 2000 ! LOL
I can’t imagine what could be causing your negative results.

View tomd's profile

tomd

I have the 3000 and it works great, my tools are as sharp as razors. Very easy to use. I don’t understand how you could get such poor results.

-- Tom D

View Robert Brown's profile

Robert Brown

WS3000 works for me too. I am very pleased with it.

View jim C's profile

jim C

I have one and couldn’t be happier.
My chisels are scary sharp every time.

+1 to A1Jim

Nice video here on the set-up and use of the Mk 2

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2363 posts in 2034 days

I’ve had the 3000 for three years now. I get great results. I’ve sharpened old gummed up chisels with rounded ends that had been used on cement to new ones I’ve purchased. All have worked well and are very sharp. I don’t know what you’re doing wrong but I have to say that you are doing something wrong. This is a great machine. If it wasn’t I wouldn’t be using it and I’d be a frustrated mortiser. When flattening I get a smooth mirror surface on the chisel.

Once sharpened a fine grit touches up my chisel in seconds after a lot of use.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1002 posts in 2082 days

Most folks rave about the worksharp. I was very tempted to buy the 2000 when it first came out but never pulled the trigger, so I can offer no results. I don’t think it was ever meant to take the place of honing. I could be wrong. Not sure what final grit is commonly used. I’d guess 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper disc, which will sharpen enough to cut your head off pretty clean, but not enough to get the really thin shavings using a plane iron or chisel on pine end grain. I think the 3000 has a strop attachment, which could hone a blade, after working through various size grits on strops.

Question to worksharp users: Do you hone after using the worksharp, or stop there and call it good?

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

Good to know the MK II is working well for you… I’ve been eying that for a little bit, the cheap honing guide isn’t so nice anymore. I’ve been working on freehanding, but for my smoothers I still try to use the guide… practice on the jointer blades first..

Sucks about the WS… I think the answer is obvious, though… you’re obviously much better at scary sharp yourself than the worksharp is :-)

-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN -- Stanley #45 Evangelist - www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods

View Howie's profile

Howie

I’ve had my WS3000 for over 5 years and have used it exclusively. No problems,love it.

-- Life is good.

111999 posts in 2173 days

I can only guess that folks that are not getting good results are not going through all the grits of sand paper,Depending how dull the chisel is I may start sharpening with sand paper as course as 40 grit and work my way up to 2000 through all the grits with out skipping any, but stopping even at 600 grit gives you a chisel sharp enough to cut end grain on hard maple. Dave I’m done it both ways using the leather wheel and not both ways seem scary sharp to me.Know one says the work sharp system is the only way to fly,the original scary sharp works great even with out a guide it you become good at holding the correct angel. I sharpened chisels and plane irons that way before getting my work sharp,it’s a little more time consuming but still works.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2060 days

Richard, you might want to try giving their customer service a call. I had some problems/difficulties/questions with mine and they did an absolutely stellar job at addressing everything. They far exceeded my expectations in that department.