Pusher System

Review by CharlieD posted 2336 days ago 3924 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pusher System Pusher System No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently I played a three way game of catch with my table saw and a small piece of maple plywood. As a result I attempted to catch a 250 MPH plywood line drive with my right thigh. After ensuring my right leg was still attached to the rest of body I decided I needed a little more safety and purchased the GRR-RipperĀ® precision pusher system. It’s purpose is to serve as a virtual movable blade guard that you hold, rather than a blade guard that is affixed to the back of the table saw, or one that hovers above it. It effectively creates a barricade between the blade and both of your hands. Several LJs noted that they were uncomfortable using it and having their hand move over the top of the Table saw blade. Understandable. I didn’t experience any apprehension doing this and overall felt much safer using the GRR. Most importantly the GRR would have prevented the kick back I experienced.

There are several models and I bought the GRR-Ripper GR-200 (8 components) for $69.00. Hind sight I don’t think I will use the extra accessories and would be fine with the GRR-100 base system for $49.00.

Overall, I think the GRR is worth the money and will improve the safety of using a table saw, band saw, router, etc. Particularly, the table saw with the blade guard removed (which most of us seem to do).

-- Charlie - Texas

View CharlieD's profile

CharlieD

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Thanks for the review. I have been looking at these.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

Thanks! I have been looking at one of these also, nice to see that the base system will work just fine.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

Thanks for the review. I have been considering getting one of these as well.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19393 posts in 2485 days

Ahhh! the toys that are around. Great review Charlie. I too know what it is like to be hit in the groin by a lump of offcut at high speed.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

this looked like a gimmick to me.. glad to hear I was wrong.

-- making sawdust....

View Ad Marketing Guy - Bill's profile

Ad Marketing Guy - Bill

Nice review—- wow that flying wood a few inches over could have really ruined your day “ouch”

-- Bill - - Ad-Marketing Guy, Ramsey NJ

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

I have 2 of them. They are one of the best buys I have ever made. Be sure to get the DVD on how to use it.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View TomK 's profile

TomK

Great review. I have had the GR-100 for a few weeks now and think it was well worth the $50 price also. Gives great confidence cutting narrow pieces close to the fence, because the piece on both sides of the blade is under my control. Its also great for those cuts on the router table that used to make me nervous too. If you happen to butcher one of the component pieces they are cheap to replace, but haven’t done that yet. Adjustments are quick and easy to make. I might buy a second one soon for ripping long pieces. If you buy one, be sure to check out Bob #2’s blog entry on ripping very narrow pieces.

Glad to see we Texans value our digits!

-- If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until it's free! PJ O'Rourke

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2400 days

I’ve thought about buying one of these too….. but has anyone out there ever thought about trying to build something similar? Just a thought I had….

View sjdickey's profile

sjdickey

Thanks for the review. You just saved me a few bucks. I was thinking about the 200 without the DVD. Looks like I will be ordering the 100 with the DVD instead.

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

I had a kick back about 2 months ago. It was due to my own cockiness and being in a hurry. I have since dedicated myself to safe practices. I also bought a Grr Ripper and I love it. It is much safer than push sticks in my opinion.

I took me a few tries before I could muster the courage to pass my hand over the blade though. It just didnt seem natural to me.

View SteveM's profile

SteveM

Add me to the list of people who hesitated at the cost and then wondered why I didn’t buy one sooner. I belive its much safer than a push stick although sometimes use both. Anything to keep my pink fingers away from the shiny spinning thing is good. I bought the 200 but have left the “extra stuff” in a box and would go with the 100.

View mot's profile

mot

I have two of these and use them frequently. Nice review.

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

I have one, & I recommend it.

I also bought all the extras which I probably will never use.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

One of the side benefits of the gripper is that it can hold down both sides of the cut as it leaves the tablesaw blade and keeps the annoying flutter down to zero as the free ends of thin wood start to chatter between the blade and the splitter.
My cuts seem extra accurate using this neat device.
And… set up is a snap -no more than 30 seconds once you get the hang of it.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner