Exceeded my expectations!

Review by riverguy posted 631 days ago 4157 views 2 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Exceeded my expectations! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m impressed with the Ridgid EB 4424 . For a lot of years I’ve been using my drill press with drum sanders to do what I bought this tool for. It’s hard to find drum sanders (that mount in a drill press) that are at least round, if not even concentric to their arbor shafts. For the last few years that more and more spindle sanders have been showing up in the tool catalogs, I’ve been reading the reviews. I was not impressed, although I was ready to try one just because a lot of my work involved standing at that drill press being irritated by the drum sanders I could find.

Along came the Ridgid EB 4424. My favorite (by far) contractor’s table saw is my Ridgid TS 3650, which is an amazing tool that brought Ridgid tools to my attention a few years ago. So when I saw the EB 4424 reviewed in one of my woodworker’s magazines, I went on to read the reviews on the machine and they were about 90% positive. So when our local Orange Apron store had the tool for sale at the Mainland price of $199, I went for it. Have I said that I’m impressed?

When I bought it, I felt, yeah, it was also a belt sander, but hey, I had a big stationary belt sander so why would I ever need this one? A gimmick, right?

Turns out it is very handy to have this small belt sander available with it’s tilt table and almost instant belt-changes (for different grits, in my case) available while leaving my stationary sander intact and not having to constantly change settings. The tilting table works equally well with the spindle or belt sander, too.

OK, back to the spindle sander. It takes about one minute to change the machine from belt to spindle mode, and a few seconds to change drum sizes. Before, I would have to set up my drill press with a special table clamp-on jig and then suffer through the wobbly, imprecise sanding drums available for this purpose. Those days are over! What a pleasure to have this precision machine for sanding curves at exactly 90 degrees to the work surface, or any angle I would want by adjusting the nice, flat, generous-size table.

Oh, one more thing, this tool has a 2-1/2” dust-collection port that fits any standard shop vac, and connects into any shop dust-collection system with a standard adapter. It easily picks up like 90% of the dust. There is no dust in the air, and only a small amount accumulates on the worktable.

I’ve had this tool for some three years now and it has seen many hours of continuous use. It runs as it did the day I bought it, so there seem to be no reliability issues.

Bottom line: Ridgid has come up with another winner. If you have a use for this substantial and flexible machine, go for it!

-- Skip, Forestville, CA, http://www.sonomastainedglass.com

View riverguy's profile

riverguy

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

Thanks for the review, 3 years later. I have been contemplating this machine for sometime, but now I’m going to pull the trigger and buy it. Reliability was a key factor in my choice and you just proved that.
I know there is a lemon in every tool (car,boat,motorcyle, you name it) and hopefully I don’t buy that one. :-)
I’m really looking forward to my purchase; or I could wait a tad longer and allow the Misses to make that a Xmas present; oh the dilimma.

-- Mike

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

I picked up one of these several months ago, based on web searches.

I agree, Rigid really nailed it on this tool.

Thanks for the review!

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

Yup, a great sander. I’ve had mine for a couple of years and it’s still going strong. Get one of those cleaning sticks too. It’s amazing how much longer the paper lasts when you clean them.

View Chris Campbell's profile

Chris Campbell

I have one of these too. I really like it, especially the table groove for a miter gauge (I got an old used one for this). Everything is easy to use – table angle, belt adjustment, belt change, spindle change, mounting.

-- Chris, Minneapolis

Woodmaker –
Don’t worry if you get a lemon, Home Depot will take it back no questions asked.
I almost always leave the belt feature on when sanding. It is great for easing gentle curves.
The best feature is the tilting table. With a miter gauge and the table tilted I can quickly and easily chamfer the ends of through tenons – with absolutely no tearout.
Now I am looking for a benchtop random orbit sander. Delta had one out around 2001, but I can’t find it anywhere. It was a benchtop ROS with a 7” hook and look disk. It looked like it would be great for finish sanding smaller parts. Anybody know where I can find one?

View Alongiron's profile

Alongiron

I have had one for 3 years and I love it!. One thing to note…Because the table is adjustable; Make sure that that table is square to the belt or spindle. It clicks in to close but double check it anyway….

-- Measure twice and cut once.....

View copcarcollector's profile

copcarcollector

Happy to read another few positive reviews! I bought one about 2 months ago based on magazine and HD website reviews, but I have yet to take it out of the box… hopefully soon! Thanks for the info. Looking forward to putting this tool to work.

View Matt Przybylski's profile

Matt Przybylski

I just wanted to chime in and say I too am going to purchase this machine as I’ve had my eye on it for quite some time. The reason I haven’t pulled the trigger yet is because I bought my ridgid r4512 last year on Black Friday when they ran a 25% off sale on ridgid tools online (with free ship to store). I’m hoping they do the same this year at which point she’s mine! :)

-- Matt, Illinois, http://www.reintroducing.com

View riverguy's profile

riverguy

Matt, if that R4512 is anywhere near as good a saw as the TS3615 that went before it, it’s a keeper. If those stamped steel extensions every become an issue, you might see if the TS3615 cast-iron extensions will fit. My bet is that the rip-fence rail is the same on both saws and might just bolt right onto the cast iron extensions.

I’ve used all kinds of T/S’s over the last 60 years and none has felt as good, solid and accurate as my Ridgid. The fence glides like it’s on ball bearings and locks down dead straight every time. The work I do requires absolute precision (as close as is doable with wood), and this saw delivers.

Good luck with the sale!

-- Skip, Forestville, CA, http://www.sonomastainedglass.com

View mxrdrver's profile

mxrdrver

I also love this machine. I picked mine up at a thrift store for $40 last year. I’ve come to rely on it so much, that I don’t know what I would do without it. Everyone should buy one. Even at full retail, they’re still dirt cheap.

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

I regard mine as a mainline, go-to machine. It’s another work station in my shop and I am amazed at how many times I turn to it.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

Oh yea, Black Friday sale! I’ll be watching for that.
I am enjoying alll the positive reviews.

-- Mike

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

I’ve had one of these in my shop for years. It is probably one of the most used machines that I have. I love it. the only problem I have ever had was with the smallest of the spindle drums that wouldn’t hold the sleeve tight enough. I too leave the belt unit on most of the time and gone through tons of belts in use. This is probably one the markets best value, worth every cent.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3517 posts in 1951 days

This one is going on my wish list as my 20+ year old Craftsman has bad bearings and lets me know it evey time I turn it on!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

This sander is so versatile. No tools needed to change from belt to spindle. I’ve had mine about 6 months and am very happy with it. From what I read if you stay off the small end of the belt it will last a long, long time.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"