Empire Dry Lube Restores Velvety Action on Plunge Routers

Review by pintodeluxe posted 10-15-2012 09:01 PM 1814 views 5 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Empire Dry Lube Restores Velvety Action on Plunge Routers Empire Dry Lube Restores Velvety Action on Plunge Routers No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My plunge router was starting to get a tad sticky after two years of regular use. Not binding heavily, but you could tell sawdust had found its way into the plunge rods. I gave the router a blast of compressed air to clear any dust, and applied a couple squirts of Empire dry lube. I worked the routers plunge several times to distribute the lubricant, then let it dry. Once dry, there was no evidence of the lubricant. No white residue, no oily appearance, just a restored plunge actin that was better than new.
Empire dry lube contains no silicone, and no oils. This is important because these could contaminate wood and cause fisheyes in your finish.
The lube goes on wet due to a carrier liquid, but quickly dries clear. It will not attract sawdust.
Empire’s other products look useful too for protecting cast iron, cleaning bits, and coating blades. So far I have only tried the dry lube, but I might as well have bought a new router – it worked that good.
Cost is $5 for a small squirt tube, or $20 for the kit.

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#1 posted 10-15-2012 09:20 PM

Thanks, I’ll keep this in mind.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#2 posted 10-15-2012 09:28 PM

Thanks, I need to try some of this. One of my plunge routers is sticky and paste wax didn’t help at all.
Where did you get it from?

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#3 posted 10-16-2012 01:56 AM

I thought I was getting this type of product when I picked up some aerosol “dry lube”. It was graphite is a liquid carrier: black mess everywhere! I’m watching to see where to get this.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

501 posts in 2014 days

#4 posted 10-16-2012 03:22 AM

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#5 posted 10-16-2012 03:38 AM

Thanks for that link Mark.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#6 posted 10-16-2012 03:42 AM

I found that link too Mark. Out of stock on the lube though. :(

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#7 posted 10-16-2012 08:03 AM

I have never tried the Empire brand.
I have been using RV slide dry lube, seems to work well. $5 for a 12 oz can.
I used to have a squeeky blade height adjustment on the TS … A couple of squirts and it is quiet now.
(It’s funny how the little things annoy you more as you get older).
Picked it up at WallyWorld.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#8 posted 10-16-2012 05:05 PM

I purchased at Woodcrafters locally in Portland. OR but I don’t think they are a national chain.
Thanks Mark for the librawood link above.

View Roger's profile

#9 posted 10-16-2012 11:28 PM

Very interesting. Thnx for the link Mark, and thnx for the RV slide lube idea, Grumpymike. I’ll have ta check that out.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#10 posted 11-11-2013 05:40 PM

This is the kit I ordered—it is well worth it despite the fact that the cost with shipping is approaching $50. Thanks, pintodeluxe!