Grizzly G0738 dust removal unit (for small shops)

Review by Tennessee posted 10-14-2012 05:42 PM 4245 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0738 dust removal unit (for small shops) Grizzly G0738 dust removal unit (for small shops) Grizzly G0738 dust removal unit (for small shops) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had been looking into air dust collection for a while now. My shop is too small for a stand-alone unit, and my ceilings are only about 7’, so short of cutting a hole in the wall for some kind of exhaust, even when the big door is open it can get dusty in the work area, which is deep into the shop. And I was not enthused with the less expensive 5 micron bag units, too much stuff still floating around.
When I saw these, I added up my time and cost to buy the filters, build the box, buy the squirrel cage fan and motor, and still these have a timer and three speed operation – I decided this was better for me. Only ten inches high, it goes to the ceiling nicely, and at high speed with the 10X20 inch filter opening you still move a respectable 409CFM per unit.
I bought one and hung it up tight to the rafters with simple allthread through the rafters, and S hooks which hooked onto the provided hooks on the unit. It is tucked nice and tight to the rafters, at high speed only pulls one amp, and the provided remote works great.
I was actually surprised at the amount of dust that collected into the primary filter the first two days. So impressed that I decided to buy a second one and set up a circle of air, which allowed me to remove the fan from the shop, reduce the fan noise , and clean the air all at the same time. They are all zinc coated metal motor and squirrel cage fan and housing, and the 1 micron secondary filter is washable. The primary filter, you remove it with two clips, mask up and take it outside with some compressed air and clean it. Should last a long time. It’s 10X20X2 inches.

Anyone with a small shop, this is a great unit. My shop is a modest 12’ by 24’, so these work great. With both running, I can still hear the radio with normal volumes, and you can hold a nice quiet conversation. They are quiet. They also include a timer for those who might forget to turn them off. All in all, not a bad deal for $215, $199 + $16 shipping.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#1 posted 10-15-2012 01:45 AM

Glad to see a review of this one. I’ve had my eye on it ever since it was released. I, like you, have a smallish shop so I can’t afford to give up much space.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#2 posted 10-15-2012 02:03 AM

Paul, I too have a low ceiling in my upper shop and have considered one of these. Have you used it enough to determine if it actually decreases the fine dust that seems to settle on everything in the shop? I never see dust in the air but the next day everything is covered with a layer of very fine dust.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#3 posted 10-15-2012 04:10 AM

Thanks for your review. I’ve had one of these units for a number of years but I don’t think mine is that effective. I feel dust collection is not effective unless it captures the dust before it gets airborne .

View Xtreme90's profile

Xtreme90

184 posts in 1944 days

#4 posted 10-15-2012 09:34 AM

I have two of the bigger ceiling units from grizzly. These work exceptional well IMO. I have been working padauk for the last couple of months now and if it wasn’t for my air filters and dust collection I think I’d be eating a lot of it.

-- "I don't cut wood. I machine it!" G.M. The wood machinest

#5 posted 10-15-2012 12:05 PM

gfadvm: I know that the dust the filter is catching is way more than I thought it would be. At the table height where I’m actually sanding? It obviously has to be airborne enough to get into the air stream. The dust in the shop has been reduced, but not till I got two of them to form the circle of air I talked about. NOT eliminated, but way less. One big change, I don’t notice the aroma of wood in the air like I used to, which tells me that a fair amount of airborne dust is not there anymore.
Jim: I would agree with you, which is why I am thinking of a downdraft table for when I ROS. I recently bought a Bosch with the HEPA filter on it and was amazed at the amount of dust it catches, but like all ROS units, when sanding an edge and the whole pad is not connected with the wood, dust flies everywhere. Again, if it does not get airborne high enough, the Grizzlies miss it. A downdraft might conquer what is my last main problem, IMHO.

5387 posts in 1984 days

#6 posted 10-15-2012 03:40 PM

I have one of the bigger units in my 18×20 shop. My ceilings are higher though so I can afford the deeper housing… They didn’t offer this one when I bought mine… From the sound of it, Grizzly is keeping the quality high on these things. I hope you are as happy with your filter as I am with mine.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#7 posted 10-15-2012 04:15 PM

Man-oh-man do I need one of these. I have a lot of airborne dust in my garage shop and low ceiling so this might be my answer. I like the price to. Hmm, two for a circle of air; I like that idea.
Between the ROS, and the miter saw I get a lot of sawdust floating in the air. I need to adapt my dust collector to the miter saw. I’m using my shop vac and it is a high pitched screamer!

-- Mike

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#8 posted 10-15-2012 08:37 PM

Thanks for the response Paul

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#9 posted 10-16-2012 12:06 PM

Mike:
One of the reasons I finally decided to get these was that “screaning banshee” noise of the vacuum cleaners. Sometimes you just don’t even want it running since you still put very small fines back into the air, you almost need ear plugs for any length of time, and the hose is just awkward.

I think with these mounted in the ceiling, and a downdraft unit with a quiet cage blower, I can overcome.

View Roger's profile

#10 posted 10-16-2012 11:15 PM

Very good review, and well appreciated. I may have to replace my 5 dollar box fan in the future. Makes sense to have 2 o these so the air is well circulated. Thnx again for the review.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Mike67's profile

Mike67

96 posts in 2088 days

#11 posted 11-15-2012 08:17 PM

This looks identical to the Jet AF400 (I think that’s the model). I have one and really like it. Don’t think Jet sells it anymore.

View padric's profile

padric

#12 posted 01-24-2013 10:27 AM

In my shop every machine is attached to a separate foot switch- activated vacuum. Still in all, the dust is always there.This week I repainted the cinder block walls and noted that all the dust on the walls was oncentrated in the first three feet of height. I have a roll around filter I built but often forget to use. I wonder, at times, about ceiling mounted air filters and whether they are, if not totally effective (none are), pulling dust particles higher into the air aginst their natural gravity inclination to settle. Getting the filter onto the ceiling certainly saves space. One other dust thing. I try to get everything inside dust proof cabinets. Some tools, used frequently, have to be out, but putting as much as possible inside cabinets does reduce dust build up.

-- warningsconsul@gmail.com