Wolfcraft 4525404 Drill Guide Attachment for 1/4-Inch or 3/8-Inch Drills

Review by RussellAP posted 10-12-2012 10:36 AM 8457 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wolfcraft 4525404 Drill Guide Attachment for 1/4-Inch or 3/8-Inch Drills No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I ordered the Wolfcraft 4525404 Drill Guide Attachment for 1/4-Inch or 3/8-Inch Drills, so I could accurately drill 1” holes in a board for dowels used in bending wood.

I needed the press to make the holes straight.

The press came partially assembled. Not a problem to complete.

Everything seems rugged, not quite as heavy as expected.

The test was drilling a one inch hole in a 2 inch thick particle board to a depth of 1.5 inches.

When using the press, it locks up. This is probably due to insufficient bearings for a job this size. Don’t press too hard.

When the unit locks up, you have to grab it with some channel lock pliers and twist it till it frees up. This may mean taking the drill and the bit off.

Not what I expected, and would not recommend it to a friend unless they are planning to drill smaller holes. I think 1” holes are a bit much for it.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View RussellAP's profile

RussellAP

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

#1 posted 10-12-2012 11:11 AM

Kind of a shame if this is a bad product, I can think of dozens of times when this would have saved the day. Hopefully they get the kinks sorted out so I can buy one.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View RussellAP's profile

RussellAP

#2 posted 10-12-2012 11:15 AM

I’m going to have a look and see if there is a place where I can lube it, but it looks like it’s just not up to the task of a 1” hole. It was being drilled in particle board, about 2 inches thick, which is pretty demanding. It would likely be okay for smaller stuff.

#3 posted 10-12-2012 02:34 PM

What do the manufacturers recommend the largest drill bit size be to use on this rig ?
I have the older style that the drill mounts directly into , versus attaching the drill to this second chuck spindle.
Probably not as accurate (90*) as this model though.
There doesn’t appear to be much of a bearing surface on the Wolfcraft model…probably intended for occasional use by a hobbiest that only owns a 1/4” or 3/8” hand drill.

This guy managed to break his…

View Gshepherd's profile

Gshepherd

#4 posted 10-12-2012 03:14 PM

There has been times I thought of getting one of these and thanks to you I will rethink a better way…...

-- What we do in life will Echo through Eternity........

View jim C's profile

jim C

#5 posted 10-12-2012 03:29 PM

IMO,

I haven’t found any product Wolfcraft produces to be useful. The quality is just not there. Good ideas, but poor execution

View Richard's profile

Richard

#6 posted 10-12-2012 06:31 PM

I got one like this and it is pretty much junk when you try to do angle drilling and the 90 deg just dosen’t seem to stay locked , I wish I could find an old porta-line unit like I used to have, they don’t do much for angles but they sure worked good for 90 deg stuff.

View mountainaxe's profile

mountainaxe

#7 posted 10-13-2012 04:23 PM

I purchased an old Portalign rig from eBay for a few $ a while ago and it works great for what it’s intended to do. There’s one on-line now for 99 cents. I’ve attached mine to a 3/8” drill I had sitting around. Why spend the cash on a new Wolfcraft (that doesn’t work well) when you can get something more substantial on the cheap?

-- Jeff, "The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me."

View Mip's profile

Mip

#8 posted 10-14-2012 12:56 AM

I got my Grandfather’s old portalign jig and have used it on a variety of jobs. The thing works great and at a better price than what mountainaxe got his for: free. I just used it for boring holes in a couple of end tables. The top was to big to fit under a drill press since I was drilling in the exact middle and the portalign saved the day. It’s a simple well bit jig and I’m glad I got it.