Not recommended for shellac

Review by Purrmaster posted 659 days ago 2302 views 0 times favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not recommended for shellac No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this stuff after I saw that the finishing test counter at Rockler had a bottle of this. I was using shellac for the first time so I got this denatured alcohol instead of the “regular” denatured alcohol. I was hoping it might have a bit less toxicity.

After sticking my shellac flakes in (2 oz of shellac) and measuring out 6 ounces of alcohol I let the jar sit overnight. And basically nothing happened. So I shake and stir and it makes no difference. I even put the jar in some hot water. Nothing. I end up with a gloopy mass of shellac at the bottom of the jar.

After about 2 weeks the shellac finally dissolved fully. I figured I screwed something up. So for my next batch (same amounts of shellac and alcohol) I ground up the shellac flakes in the blender to a fine powder. I measured out the alcohol and let it sit.

It’s been 3-4 days now and the shellac is not dissolving any faster than the last batch. I have a gloopy mass that I can’t use.

For comparison, on my third batch of shellac I got Klean Strip’s regular SLX denatured alcohol. In about a day the shellac is fully dissolved. I didn’t even grind up the flakes.

Bottom line: This “Green” stuff doesn’t work well for shellac. I would have given it just one star but the shellac does eventually dissolve. The Green stuff smells just as bad as it’s SLX counterpart so I doubt it’s any less toxic.

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

Do they say what’s in it? Frankly, I can’t imagine the need for a “green” DNA – after all, ethanol is a totally natural product. It’s just yeast poop.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

Thanks for the warning. Also avoid the “green” mineral spirits. It’s a milky white emulsion and is useless except for cleaning brushes.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View patron's profile

patron

12977 posts in 1946 days

the first time i tried water based contact cement
i couldn’t get it to stick worth a dam

give me good old lacquer based

pretty soon they will have
‘new and improved formula’
eco-friendly for all finishes

WATER !

View Puffin's profile

Puffin

Sorry for your troubles and thanks for the heads up. Well at least one silver lining is you helped some of us from having a similar experience.

View joewilliams's profile

joewilliams

thanks for the warning!

-- Joe - - - something witty should go here - - -

View ChrisForthofer's profile

ChrisForthofer

Green alcohol? That’s a new one on me… While I have no problems with “green” products, I generally steer clear of them. If it works as well or better than its non-green counterpart, great, but usually they fall short like this one did. Thanks for the review.

Chris.

-- -Director of slipshod craftsmanship and attention deficit woodworking

View crank49's profile

crank49

They probably made it “GREEN” by dilluting it with 50% water, then jack the price up 50% because it’s “GREEN”.
Sad thing is that this marketing scam works and creates millions of dollars in sales for basicly inferior products.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

The green MS is an emulsion and I surmise that it does contain some amount of water. I tried making a wiping poly by mixing it with oil-based poly and wiped on a coat, and 5 days later it was still tacky. Brought the container back to HD and got my money back.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View denovich's profile

denovich

The Kleen Strip Green is almost entirely Ethanol (ethyl alcohol, the kind you drink)... Check out the MSDS: http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/KSG%20Denatured%20Alcohol.pdf

The regular Kleen Strip DNA is about 50% Ethanol, 50% Methanol (the kind that makes you blind)...

Everything I’ve read about Shellac is that Ethanol is the preferred solvent. Shellac might dissolve faster in it, but too much methanol causes issues when it dries. I exclusively use the Kleen Strip Green as it’s the only 95% Ethanol DNA that’s easy to obtain, and I certainly prefer not being exposed to methanol.

Purrmaster

Now that is interesting. So the tradeoff for it dissolving slowly is that the shellac may go on better? That does change my perspective a bit.

What kind of problems does too much methanol cause? I’ll be doing a sort of “head to head” between the two alcohols once everything dries. It may not be a fair test though because I mixed a 2 pound cut with the regular denatured and a 3 pound cut with the Green stuff.

Thanks for the information.

View WoodworkGuy's profile

WoodworkGuy

Glad to know. Definitely won’t buy this stuff for shellac. Will have to see how it works for other things. Thanks for the review!

-- Making sawdust and memories through woodworking.

Purrmaster

Please do note denovich’s post. He has a counter argument that the “green” stuff is better when it gets to the shellac actually drying. If so, that would largely negate my review. Can anyone else comment on this? I don’t want to knock a product incorrectly because I don’t have enough facts.

View GarageWoodworks's profile

GarageWoodworks

denovich nailed it. The green is >90% ethanol and the regular is 50% ethanol 50% methanol. Apparently shellac is more soluble in methanol than ethanol.

In order to salvage your green ethanol, buy a container of methanol from the BORG and cut your green ethanol in half to make a solution of roughly 50:50 ethanol/methanol. That way you won’t waste it.

-- Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GarageWoodworks?feature=guide

Purrmaster

But does a higher methanol content lead to the shellac having drying problems?

View GarageWoodworks's profile

GarageWoodworks

No. The higher the methanol content the faster the drying time should be the only difference you see.