Veritas PM-V11 Bench Chisel really delivers!!

Review by Willeh posted 10-08-2012 07:09 PM 9410 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas PM-V11 Bench Chisel really delivers!! Veritas PM-V11 Bench Chisel really delivers!! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First off, I will not profess to be an expert on chisels, i do not have a toolchest full of Lie-Nielsens for which to compare, so I will give you an honest opinion based on what i do know.

Not wildly impressed by the packaging, however, it is utilitarian, and a decent storage box for the chisel until it finds a new home in the tool cabinet that i’m working on. The chisel comes with a wax protector on the sharp end, the metal was all coated in a light coat of oil that was easily removed, and it had a anti-rust piece of paper in there for good measure.

Out of the box,, took about 5 seconds to clean up and prep for honing. Took about 5 swipes on my Norton 8000 grit stone to be honed like a mirror, and polished the back on the 8000 in about 20 seconds – it was very obviously lapped FLAT right from the factory and didn’t need any real work to it.

So – Home from the store, about 45 seconds in so far, and this baby is READY TO WORK.

Pulled out a scrap piece of hard maple and clamped it in the vice. took a bunch of fine shavings, heavy shavings, more shavings than i needed to, but it just cut through the maple like butter.

Decided i needed to really put it through the test. Pulled out the beech mallet and started chopping. I cut a 4 inch deep and 4 inch wide mortise, and again, it cut like butter the whole time. With all the hammering, there wasnt a marr, dent or scratch in the handle – the Caramelized Maple is hard as a rock. Finished the mortise by paring it out clean, again, still cutting like butter, and after all of that work.. tried the good old arm-hair shave, and it was still cutting the hair on my arm better than a fresh razor.

All i can say is that i’m thoroughly impressed for the following reasons:
1) Prep time – all this thing needs is 45 seconds out of the box and you are ready to work
2) Stamina – I put it through a pretty gruelling test on some of the hardest wood I have in my shop, and it didn’t even slightly dull it, not in the least bit.. I can only imagine that I’d be able to go for hours chopping and paring away before this baby needs another quick hone.
3) Open the box and stick your nose in it – That caramelized maple handle is one of the loveliest smells you’ll ever encounter.

From this point forward, Every chisel I buy will be one of these. I’ve yet to see anything that even comes close. Can’t wait to buy some of the Plane blades made out of this PMV11, this stuff is incredible.

-- Will, Ontario Canada. "I can do fast, cheap and good, but you can only pick two... "

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#1 posted 10-08-2012 07:41 PM

WOW!

What a Review!

Those chisels sound like you only need One Set and you’re set for Life!

They have a hefty price tag too...
... if you get the complete set of 5, the price per item drops a tad…

Something to really Save Up for… Dream chisels… in Real life!
Must be nice to use such a wonder tool!

Thank you!

View Alexandre's profile

Alexandre

#2 posted 10-08-2012 11:30 PM

You beat me to my review :(

-- My terrible signature...

#3 posted 10-09-2012 12:13 AM

Alexandre, To be fair, I have had mine for quite a while now.. Randomly, I was at Lee Valley a while back and was picking up some dye, i was He showed me all about it and I bought it, apparently the first one sold at that location. Im assuming that you feel very much the same way about yours?

Joe: Yes, a hefty price tag, but not too much more than you pay for other premium chisels, certainly less than some of the high end Japanese chisels.. I’d recommend buying one at first and when you’ve tried it, you’ll want more.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1447 posts in 1932 days

#4 posted 10-09-2012 02:33 AM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been wanting a set really bad, and this made the pull even worse. How do you feel about the grip of the handles and the overall balance? Do the beveled sides make a really small edge for good dovetail clearance, and did you have to relieve them to keep from getting cut? These may be my next tool purchase.

-- Allen, Colorado

View dnick's profile

dnick

#5 posted 10-09-2012 03:31 AM

Thank you for your review. i’m going to file this away for future reference.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View Alexandre's profile

Alexandre

#6 posted 10-09-2012 11:42 AM

I was the first person in London to buy one.
but, I have a Triple the price japenese chisel, which i’ll compare it…

-- My terrible signature...

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#7 posted 10-10-2012 05:29 AM

the new sweethearts took a bit longer to flatten than 45 seconds but it was less than 10 minutes each. I have been using them for a few weeks now but will wait to wright a story about them. however they are better than my vintage 750s and they seem to hold and edge a very long time. Although I really would not choose a tool based on how long it holds its edge as long as the time was reasonable. I would consider price as a major isue for most woodworkers others will buy bridge city or some fine JAPANESE Chisels. I think that the veritas are worth a serious test but wont rush out and buy my 10th set of chisels when the ones I have work well for me.

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

#8 posted 10-12-2012 08:48 PM

thedude50: I wouldn’t say drop drop everything and rush out and buy these, but I would recommend buying one or two in a size that you use all the time. or consider these if you want to invest in a full set of great chisels.

Yes, the price point is a bit high, but it isnt leaps and bounds over the price of a Lie Nielson chisel,

I’ve got a set of narex chisels – which took hours to prep for use and don’t hold a great edge for a long time.. They serve me fine for most of my work, but I find that i do a lot of work with a 3/8ths, so i bought a 3/8ths and will use this most of the time because I won’t have to run back and sharpen it every 10 minutes to keep going.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#9 posted 10-13-2012 10:52 PM

No I guess my point is I dont need more chisels I have 2 sets of the new 750 Sw chisels and they are very good I am able to use them for really long periods of time with out re honing and when i do I hit them quick on the Naniwa stones at 1000 . 8000. and 12000 and they are good to go the process is less than 2 minutes and i dont have to mess with them for a long time

#10 posted 10-15-2012 10:44 PM

bobasaurus: I found they did not need to be relieved, they are a pretty clean corner down the sides but i didn’t find them sharp enough to cut me. I really like the balance.. i hold them with part of my hand on the handle and part on the shaft and felt it was really easy to work work.. they are quite long but feel really good when deep into a mortise

View vbraddy17's profile

vbraddy17

#11 posted 06-12-2014 12:26 PM

I have sold a lot of my rarely used tools recently with the intention to buy a high quality set of chisels. As Lee Valley’s free shipping event was about to expire, I was sitting there trying to get the courage to spend 4 bills on a set of chisels…. I didn’t pull the trigger. I just haven’t been able to decide between these and lie nielsens. I just keep going back and forth….. Oh well, I guess I’ll keep going back to that Narex well for now.