Big bang for little buck

Review by Jamie posted 04-05-2008 05:15 PM 3436 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Big bang for little buck Big bang for little buck Big bang for little buck Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just to start, my oldest daughter Karen was cleaning polish off of her nails at the dining room table when she accidentally tipped over the bottle of nail polish remover. It proceeded to run across the table top and eat through the finish… I decided to strip down the top of the table and refinish it, but I knew that my random orbital sander was on it’s last leg so in a way… this gave me good justification for a new shop tool!

Now for the review…

I was originally looking at the DeWalt 5” at lowes for around $70.00 when I came across this one. I was a little worried about the price, at around $34.00, but really liked the jug handle feature. It really makes it easy to get to the hard to reach areas in the middle of a large panel or table, while using one hand. Another feature that I liked was the sealed on/off switch to keep the dust from ruining it, and not to forget the 12’ cord which is more than enough for reaching those tough areas also.

After using the sander, I have to say that I have grown to love it. It has a disc brake feature that will stop the sander from spinning if you apply too much downward pressure. It was a little awkward getting use to, but after a little time with it, I am happy that it has this feature. It definately seems has enough power to get just about any job done, from small to large. There are three areas for holding the sander: on the neck, top, and the jug handle. All of these areas have rubber pads to ensure comfort.

Included with the sander is a blown plastic case, a few sanding discs of various grits, and a dust collector bag that attaches to the rear. The only downfall of this sander that I have found so far is that it didn’t have anyway to attach it to my shopvac. There is an adapter that can be bought seperately though.

I bought some extra sanding discs of various grits, and the holes didn’t exactly line up with the holes in the sander. Not to say that is a problem with the sander, but could just be the type of discs I bought.

Pros
Feels solidly built while holding
3 gripping points including the jug handle
Plenty of power for just about any job
Sealed on/off switch
12’ cord
Comes with a carrying case
Hook and Loop sandpaper fastening

Cons
Doesn’t come with the ShopVac attachment

BTW…

I completed refinishing the table top and it turned out fantastic. My daughters boyfriend saw it and said.. ‘How did you do that!’

-- Jamie, Kentucky

View Jamie's profile

Jamie

#1 posted 04-05-2008 07:19 PM

Great review.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#2 posted 04-05-2008 07:33 PM

great review. i saw this sander too but i too have been skeptical to buy it because of its price and because of what i have heard of Black and Deckers quality over the years. my firestorm tools have been good though so i guess that their firestorm branch must be somewhat better than the regular tools. thanks for the review.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#3 posted 04-05-2008 07:38 PM

Nice review!

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

#4 posted 04-05-2008 08:21 PM

Great review – lots of info about your conclusions. It’s very nice to hear that B&D is still making some good products!

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#5 posted 04-05-2008 11:20 PM

Hit and Miss with Black and Decker. I have an old B&D miter saw that seems like it will never die. I also have a benchtop workmate that makes a fine extra vise and then there’s my old jigsaw. The Jigsaw is worthless in my opinion, but I keep it because it was my Grandfathers tool and he made some pretty cool stuff with it.
Nice review and I was looking at these recently too. I may give it a shot.
Thanks for the post!

-- --Chuck

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#6 posted 04-08-2008 04:27 AM

I like black and decker, they seem to make a good value tool. Even if it’s not the Festool with 20 diffrent features like, rotex, automatic dust collection system, and auto pilot :) it still does the job with affecient and good results. Great review.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

#7 posted 04-08-2008 03:14 PM

I just bought one too. I agree with you 100%. I think it was a steal. We will see how long it lasts though. mike

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#8 posted 04-08-2008 07:55 PM

Thanks Guy’s!

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#9 posted 05-10-2008 03:35 PM

it seems like not all B & D tools are created equal. I’ll be shooting out to the store today to pick this one up. I’ll write a review in a couple of weeks after i get some use. thanks for the review.